Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Space Above and Beyond

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Space Above and Beyond

So I just finished watching the entire run of Space Above and Beyond and I must say IMHO this is one of the best shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I was constantly dazzled and amazed by the stories, acting, and special effects. I've watched a lot of TV over the years (I ain't Das but I get around) and this may end up being my favorite show of all time, but I can only be sure with a little perspective.

The characters were incredibly dynamic and sucked you into the stories (especially TC McQueen). Even though it only lasted a season there was real change in the characters, true revelations and realizations that you just don't find in a lot of TV shows. If you can find someone with the tapes or catch it on Scifi I can't recommend the show enough. With the chance of more B5, and the semi-season of Farscape not far off, I wish we could get some closure to this show as well. It's just as good as both of those shows to me, and then I could die a happy fan since I also love B5 and Farscape.

So why was this show so short lived? Anyone else like this show?
Old 12-23-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by boredsilly
So why was this show so short lived?
It was on Fox.
Old 12-23-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
so true. Fox has a bad habit of killing what I consider to be good shows. I don't think I currently watch anything on fox
is it on dvd yet?
Old 12-23-03, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
It was on Fox.

How so true Fox killed this show by bumping it around the TV schedule and I think the show ended up on Sundays which was pretty much the nail in the coffin for this series.
Old 12-23-03, 05:45 PM

Fox had to decide between "Space Above and Beyond" and "Sliders" to fill out the schedule. They chose "Sliders" and we all know how well that turned out.
Old 12-23-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I remember watching it and liking it quite a bit. It definately had that "Starship Troopers" vibe to it.
Old 12-23-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

was a great show but at least they got to end the war and not just leave a cliffhanger.
Old 12-24-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
It was on Fox.
How very true. There was a petition to get SAAB on DVD floating around the net awhile ago but as far as I know nothing's come out of it. With shortlived shows like Sports Night and Firefly hoping onto the store shelves maybe they'll get a clue and release it (but since it's FOX I'm so not holding my breath).
Old 12-24-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by strife
was a great show but at least they got to end the war and not just leave a cliffhanger.
There was a major cliffhanger. Most of the characters were all ready to die in some way. Kristen Clokes ship was ready to burn up in the atmosphere, the baseball guy and his buddy were in a ship that was ready to explode( or something like that, it has been almost 10 years), and the older veteren soldier had his legs blown off.

Anyway, this was an awesome show. I still can't believe Sci-Fi didn't pick it up. Hopefully we will get a DVD release that will raise interest and maybe a new movie or 2.
Old 12-24-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember the last episode being the peace talks and them finding out that they had started the war cause the one company knew that those planets were in the aliens territory.

Must have forgotten that part I guess
Old 12-24-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
I loved that show. It was really ahead of it's time.
Old 12-24-03, 12:08 PM
Suspended

I remember catching a couple eps and really starting to get into
it, then I heard it was getting cxled. Same thing happened with Firefly. I'm amazed that XFiles lasted as long as it did (arguably a few seasons too long)
Old 12-24-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was a personal favorite. It was a horrible shame it got canned. I wish SciFi would show more marathons of it.