Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscountDVD Sucks!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DeepDiscountDVD Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeepDiscountDVD Sucks!

Yes, I'm sure that there are people who have ordered from them and not had a problem (yet), but so what?! How hard is it to get an order right? You get the order, you fill the order, you ship the order. To me, the true test of a company is when they get an order wrong, and how they handle it.

I took advantage of the coupon that was presented here at the end of the November, and ordered some early Christmas gifts.

Never again!!!

What I've found out is that they have the worst customer service I've ever encountered, and will lie to cover themselves, making excuse after excuse. Items I was told had shipped, and that I had received emails saying they had shipped, had not been shipped at all. Items that were in stock when I ordered have still not arrived after almost a month. Yet, each time I call and talk to someone, they make up a new excuse and never even bother to appologize.

Just something to keep in mind if you plan on ordering from them. Sure, your order may go smoothly, but if it doesn't, you are in for a rough ride!
Old 12-23-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wrong forum?
Old 12-24-03, 05:10 AM

Often Customer Service has no idea what their warehouse is doing and vice versa...something could appear "shipped" on the computers and still be sitting in the wareshouse in a box. Considering the number of orders DDD must have gotten, their CS dept. is probably swamped with calls...causing them to be a little rushed on the phone, and therefore sound rude.

Orders are filled by humans, and humans make mistakes...even on a good day, probably at least 1 percent of orders EVERYWHERE for any online retailer are screwed up. Considering DDD must have gotten thousands of orders this Christmas and I've seen only a handful or so of people complain on this forum, that's a pretty good percentage.

I've always had the policy of forgiving someone for their first mistake...but if you continue to have problems with an order or if they continue to mischarge you or ship you the wrong items (this is what happened to me with both BB Online and Amazon), I'd take my business elsewhere.
Old 12-24-03, 08:07 AM

I, too, ordered from them last month. I received 1 DVD, but two sets I ordered (Space Ghost Coast to Coast and the 5-disc Dirty Harry Collection) have been on perpetual backorder.

The thing is, my "Order Status" screen says that an estimated ship date is 12/11.

I don't mind the wait in and of itself. I'm not one of these who is always in a hurry for a DVD, as I have plenty on my shelf I've not yet watched. But it is the uncertainty that bugs me. At least they should update the estimated ship date or send me an e-mail with an explanation of the delay.

I guess I'll e-mail them today and see how they respond.
Old 12-24-03, 10:05 AM

Often Customer Service has no idea what their warehouse is doing and vice versa...something could appear "shipped" on the computers and still be sitting in the warehouse in a box. Considering the number of orders DDD must have gotten, their CS dept. is probably swamped with calls...causing them to be a little rushed on the phone, and therefore sound rude.
I agree that they are probably swamped with calls and that mistakes do and will continue to happen. That is a part of doing business.

As I mentioned above though, my problem is with how they have handled it, and no matter what the excuse, it has been unacceptable. I actually caught them in a lie, so I'm not going to accept any more excuses.

They emailed me that my entire order had shipped. They then verified this on the phone and verified that it had been shipped Priority Mail as I had paid for. Once I actually received the package (which only had a few items, not the entire order), I noticed that it had shipped UPS. That is not a problem, and even better, I was able to go online and track the package, so I could see when it really shipped. Turns out, it was a full week after they had originally said it had shipped. So I called again, and asked them when it shipped, just to see what they would say. They gave me the original date, but when I told them I knew that was not true and why, they backtracked, admitted it, and made up another excuse. It was obvious they knew what was going on.

Once again, not even an apology.

Considering DDD must have gotten thousands of orders this Christmas and I've seen only a handful or so of people complain on this forum, that's a pretty good percentage.
As far as only a handful of people complaining, that's pretty normal, but hardly acceptable. Look at any studies done about this. Most people don't complain about problems, they just go elsewhere. In fact, here is a quote from one study for you - "The average business never hears from 96 percent of its unhappy customers."

It takes a lot to get people to actually complain, so if only a handful are doing it, it shows a there is a real problem!

I just want to at least let people know what I have experienced. If people like and use DDD, that's perfectly fine. But it's important to know how a company handles mistakes. That way people can make an informed decision.
Old 12-24-03, 11:30 AM

I've never had anything but great service from DDD. I've spent thousands of dollars on their site over the past few years. Whenever I'd have questions about an order or trouble with a disc I'd email them and get a response within a day. They'd either answer my questions or tell me to just ship the disc back for a replacement (which I've done and got the replacement sent right away).

Oh and one bad employee lying to you doesn't make the whole company bad. Just means they chose to hire the wrong person.

Last edited by C Roberts; 12-24-03 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-24-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally posted by C Roberts
I've never had anything but great service from DDD. I've spent thousands of dollars on their site over the past few years. Whenever I'd have questions about an order or trouble with a disc I'd email them and get a response within a day. They'd either answer my questions or tell me to just ship the disc back for a replacement (which I've done and got the replacement sent right away).

Oh and one bad employee lying to you doesn't make the whole company bad. Just means they chose to hire the wrong person.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any problems that I have had they took care of them right away... I will continue to support them.
Old 12-24-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had hit or misses with DDD. But looking at the poll in another thread in this forum. The poll showed the majority of people were happy with DDD.

Whenever someone is happy with a company they don't post left and right about how great the company is.

If something goes wrong, all the people that have been dissatisfied with them will post and post and post.

So, even though if you search for DDD, you might come up with 100's of negative posts and a few good ones. But, that is definitely not representative of the majority of people here.

Kind of like..... politics...................
Old 12-24-03, 04:42 PM

I delt with a different person each time I called, and they all gave me incorrect information, so obviously that's not the case.

And if people would bother to actually read my post, I'm not saying you shouldn't shop there, especially if you have had good experiences. I hope it continues for you. But some of us actually like to hear how a company deals with mistakes so that we can make an informed decision.
Old 12-25-03, 02:13 AM

Never a problem with them...

I ordered about $500 worth of discs during the sale, on two different discount codes. The orders got divided up into various sub-shipments due to B/O status on about half the items. I've received three shipments so far, and a fourth is on the way, leaving a handful of discs still on B/O. I'm not even remotely displeased! That sale was fantastic. I'd been wanting the DANGER MAN and SECRET AGENT complete sets, and got them both at a fantastic price, plus a bunch of other goodies! Yeah, my Looney Tunes Golden Collection is on B/O, but I noticed while shopping locally that it is out of stock at every brick-and-morter in town, so it's not like I could have gotten it faster locally, and certainly not as cheaply.

I'm only sorry I stayed on budget and didn't spend more than my usual monthly DVD allowance!
Old 12-25-03, 02:42 AM

Well I order about $800.00 worth of DVDs and most shipped a few days later than their usual ship times (based on my past experience). Theres only 2-3 DVDs left on their back order. Overall, I'm happy. I don't think I've gotten a good a deal as this in a long time. If you think DDD is slow, try ordering from international site that ships parcel post. Now that I think about it I think I have another $500.00 of DVD I should have bought but thought I couldn't afford it.

I've had some problems in the past with defective DVDs, stupid reps, a ridiculous amount of time to process returns and shp another out, and have been put on hold for more than a 10 minutes, but I expect that. I think people need to be a little more patient and willing to deal with these problems since DDD is out of state. Ultimately, I think DDD will resolve this favorably to the customer (they did in my case). You get what you pay for. If you want good customer service with the hassles then go to B&M store. That's why these stores pay the ridiculous overhead and staffing costs to satisfy (for the most part[except BB]) customers. If DDD loses a few customer that's fine with me...that means my orders will probably ship out a few days sooner.

Last edited by iove; 12-25-03 at 02:49 AM.
Old 12-27-03, 12:26 PM

Just to update my order status, I received another piece of the order today (which was a Christmas present), and noticed they shipped it out using Media Mail, even though I paid extra for upgraded shipping.

Once again, they just can't get any part of this order right.
Old 12-27-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Sifu
Just to update my order status, I received another piece of the order today (which was a Christmas present), and noticed they shipped it out using Media Mail, even though I paid extra for upgraded shipping.

Once again, they just can't get any part of this order right.
The upgraded shipping is only applied the first shipment. All backorders are shipped via their standard shipping method. This is stated on their website.
Old 12-27-03, 01:59 PM

Sorry, I should have clarified, the last customer service rep I spoke to assured me that it would be upgraded as well because of all of the problems.
Old 12-27-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the middle of a problem with DDD.

I ordered 4 DVD's on the 6th of December. 3 were backordered, one supposedly shipped on the 12th...it's still not here, it's 12-27.

I'm starting to get frustrated as hell.
Old 12-27-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino

I ordered 4 DVD's on the 6th of December. 3 were backordered, one supposedly shipped on the 12th...it's still not here, it's 12-27.

That would make today the 11th business day. Other have stated takes a little longer to get them in California. I would give it two more business days and then contact them about it.
Old 12-27-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by strife
That would make today the 11th business day. Other have stated takes a little longer to get them in California. I would give it two more business days and then contact them about it.
Actually, wouldn't Monday be the 10th business day if you exclude Christmas day as a holiday and business days being Mon-Fri. Don't know if they really count Sat as a business day even though mail is delivered on that day.
Old 12-27-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kevin M. Dean
Actually, wouldn't Monday be the 10th business day if you exclude Christmas day as a holiday and business days being Mon-Fri. Don't know if they really count Sat as a business day even though mail is delivered on that day.
good point. Saturday may not be included.
Old 12-27-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino

I live about a half hour away from DDD and I get my orders in about 2-3 weeks sometimes longer. I wouldn't mind if I lived in Hawaii, Cali, etc.. but a half hour away? They package most of their dvds like shit. I guess it's ok if you buy a single dvd, but if you buy a box set (in my experience) 50% of the time it will have become damaged during shipping. I'm done buying box sets from them. (I did however use the recent coupon to pick up some Criterions)I usually get better or similar prices at Amazon with STL (considering I have to pay Tax since I live in IL)and better shipping methods and way better customer service. It's a no brainer for me. I'll still buy single dvds from them if their price is "way" better than everybody elses.

End of rant.
Old 12-28-03, 12:46 PM

5days ago I placed an order containing a boxset and a single dvd. Both of them were instock and I have been waiting them to ship my package for five days. It is written as 'in process' on the order details section.

I placed an order 7-8months ago, they sent the package, I got it, no problem up to here but it is still seen as in process on my order status page.

As a result I don't know whether they shipped my current package or not. I sent mails but they didnt reply, now I want to cancel my order but I couldnt send mail because I know that they won't reply in the following days(maybe 10 days later they will reply)

Is it possible to cancel an order by phone?
Old 12-28-03, 12:52 PM

by the way they reply one of my mails(which is not related with my order) just a few minutes ago. I sent them this mail 9 DAYS ago.
Old 12-28-03, 06:47 PM

Definately call them! They tend not to answer emails at all, or not very quickly, so I just called them instead when I needed to verify something.
Old 12-29-03, 11:17 AM

I had received an email from them right before XMas regarding the last batch of my $1000+ order (during the 20% OFF Sale) that it was cancelled because for some reason my cc didn't go through. I gave them a call right after they open (8am Central)... less than 2 minutes of wait... got a Rep and explained to him what was going on... gave him my order and cc number... order with sale price back in process... no problems at all.
Old 12-29-03, 04:02 PM

Strange things continue on ddd.

Today ý call them inorder to cancel my orders but I could't get in touch with them.

and then I received an email about shipment of one item in my order (there are two items in my order and they sent only one, the other one is backordered). But they charge the shipping fee as they are sending both of them.

But the problem is: I changed my credit card details on my account info page so that I assume that they couldnt charge the money (I did that before receiving the mail). I dont know how they charged the money.

Is it possible that they sent the dvd a few days ago but sending the mail now?
Old 12-30-03, 10:26 AM

DDD has always been real good to me. I've even had some major orders filled rather quickly and nothing has even been damaged in the mail.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.