Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Forbes.com - PS2 vs. Xbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forbes.com - PS2 vs. Xbox

http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/22/cx_...ahoo&referrer=

A nice little write-up about the two systems.

PlayStation 2

Company that makes it: Sony
Year introduced: 2000
Cost: $179-$200
Estimated North American shipments in 2003: 9.4 million
Installed base: 24 million
Most popular game, copies sold: Electronic Arts' Madden NFL 2004, about 2.3 million
Market share: 62%
Number of subscribers to online service: 1.7 million
Price of online service: Free
Male ratio of players: About 77%
Next up: Sony PSP, a handheld gaming device to compete against the Nintendo Game Boy Advance, Fall 2004

Xbox

Company that makes it: Microsoft
Year introduced: 2001
Cost: $179
Estimated North American shipments in 2003: 3.4 million
Installed base: 8.5 million
Most popular game, copies sold: Halo, about 637,000
Market share: 21.8%
Number of subscribers to online service: 500,000
Price of online service: Xbox Live starter kit, $69.99, plus annual subscription, $49.99
Male ratio of players: About 89%
Next up: Halo sequel Halo 2

Sources: IDC, NPD Group, Forbes, Microsoft, Sony

With an installed base of 24 million people, PlayStation 2 is the king of the video game hill. An estimated 9.4 PlayStations will be shipped out in 2003, far more than its closest competitor, which will sell about 3.4 million. Unfortunately for Sony, that competitor is made by Microsoft.

The not-so-gentle Redmond, Wash., giant says that the Xbox is on track to meet its sales forecast of 14.5 million to 16 million units shipped by June 2004. Microsoft also boasts more than half a million subscribers to its online gaming service. Sony is not asleep at the joystick: At the beginning of this holiday season, the PlayStation 2 installed base was already nearly double what it was the same time period last year.

The competition will only get more intense in 2004, when both firms are expected to reveal plans on their new game consoles. A sneak peek can be caught in Japan, where Sony released the PSX, a box that combines a PlayStation 2, a satellite television tuner, DVD-recording, music/video playback and Ethernet networking. Thanks to advances that make it possible to pack entire consoles on a single chip, look for future integrated gaming devices to make Sony and Microsoft enemies of more than just each other; everyone from TiVo to Eastman Kodak will have something to lose.
Note the most popular game is for 2003 only.

Jeremy
Old 12-23-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Substract the one year head start the PS2 had over Xbox and, the installated base numbers get close. It's good to have some competition. Keeps the prices down and the games fresh. Too bad the Gamecube is going away ala Dreamcast soon.
Old 12-23-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by edstein
(1) Substract the one year head start the PS2 had over Xbox and, the installated base numbers get close. ... (2) Too bad the Gamecube is going away ala Dreamcast soon.
1. No they don't.
2. No it's not.
Old 12-23-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
1. No they don't.
2. No it's not.
Do not feed the trolls.
Old 12-23-03, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by juiio
Do not feed the trolls.
Heh hey Juiio don't you mean do not feed the fanboy? And besides it's common knowledge that Microsoft is anti-competition.
Old 12-23-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by edstein
Too bad the Gamecube is going away ala Dreamcast soon.

Knew that was coming.
Old 12-23-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally posted by darkside

Knew that was coming.
Perhaps I should add the requisite:

"They wouldn't have sold so many PS2s if they didn't keep breaking all the time"

and

"Imagine how many Xboxes Microsoft could have sold if they had more than two good games"

Please note: the previous two quotes were examples of troll-like comments made by fanboys for the purpose of parody. They in no way represent the views of the poster and should not be considered console bahsing. If any offense was taken by any individual by the reading of said quotes, a sincere apology is proffered.
Old 12-23-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DJ_Spyder
And besides it's common knowledge that Microsoft is anti-competition.
Every for profit company is anti competition. Every company wants 100% market share. I guarantee you that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft would all prefer to have 100% market share with no competition.
Old 12-24-03, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by sniper308
Every for profit company is anti competition. Every company wants 100% market share. I guarantee you that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft would all prefer to have 100% market share with no competition.
MOD EDIT: Unacceptable post removed. -namja
Old 12-24-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not a big Microsoft fan, but based on the stories I've heard about Sony they're pretty ruthless themselves. Weren't Sony reps sabotaging Nintendo demo kiosks at stores a couple of years ago?
Old 12-24-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoken like a true fanboy at least Sony ans Nintendo don't go out of their way and force their competitors out of business like Microsoft has or suppress software that is better than MS windows.
Well since my GC was the first console I bought this generation, and I only purchased an xbox after price drops, etc I'd guess you'd be wrong. There is also a GBA player and two GBAs in the house. I have owned each generation of Nintendo console as well as a Playstation and a Dreamcast.

So give me a break on the fanboy stuff, since first of all I'm no fan of Microsoft or Windows. I happen to be a system admin specializing in VMS (formerly Digital, formerly Compaq, now HP product), which is one of the best OS around and the only one certified to be C2 compliant according to the Govt security standard. Unlike Windows which requires patching every week, etc. And it has been doing true stretch clustering, with record level locking for over 20 years.

In any case if you have ever taken an economics class, you'd know that the end game of an unregulated capitalist system will be a monopoly. It is what every business is striving for. It is not an opinion.

And besides that if you don't think Sony does the same things, you need to read up on their business practices.

If you really you want a case study on supressing good products and threatening lawsuits, etc check out what SCO is currently trying to do to the IT industry, basically shaking down the industry regarding Linux, etc. They make Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo look like pikers regarding bad business practices.

Last edited by sniper308; 12-24-03 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-24-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm too lazy to find a good "OWN3D!!" picture right now.. but somebody just got owned in a big way.
Old 12-24-03, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by sniper308
So true, monopolies suck. Creativity gones down and products loose their price scales. I don't have a GC (Not my type of system), but I would hate not to have them in the market. Hell I wish sega was still making hardware.
Old 12-24-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well said sniper308. You handled that very tactfully.
Old 12-24-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoken like a true fanboy at least Sony ans Nintendo don't go out of their way and force their competitors out of business like Microsoft has or suppress software that is better than MS windows.
It's not Microsoft's fault that most of their competition is stupid and dumb like Netscape and AOL. In the last generation with the PS One, Sony's strategy was to flood the market with as many games as possible to run sega out of business. Sort of what MS did with Windows and IE in the 1990's.
Old 12-24-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by al_bundy
It's not Microsoft's fault that most of their competition is stupid and dumb like Netscape and AOL. In the last generation with the PS One, Sony's strategy was to flood the market with as many games as possible to run sega out of business. Sort of what MS did with Windows and IE in the 1990's.
al_bundy speaks the truth.
Old 12-24-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I actually like this thread and don't want to see it get closed. The whole economics of video game systems is somewhat fascinating and interesting. So let's keep this thread clean; no need to call people any names like "stupid" or "idiot" or "fanboy" ...

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 12-24-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by al_bundy
Do some reading on the whole Microsoft vs Netscape thing. I'm sure Netscape has made some mistakes, but Microsoft did a lot more than just give away a web browser.

There's nothing illegal about a monopoly, it's illegal when you use your monopoly status to surpress your competition.
Old 12-24-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

GBA is the video game King. the first sentence of that article is dead wrong.
Old 12-24-03, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea
GBA is the video game King. the first sentence of that article is dead wrong.
The article is only about consoles.

BTW.

The GBA may have a huge software library, but I just get the feeling Nintendo just isn't putting much of what it can into this system. Can't sharpen up the graphic any? How about using the same type of displays that sony, palms PDA are using. The graphic on those PDA are incredible. I really hope the next GBA is a hardware overhaul.
Old 12-24-03, 04:54 PM

That, and release more original games for GBA. It's sad to see such a well designed console get nothing but shovel ware, ports, and re releases.
Old 12-24-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by sararekuforever
That, and release more original games for GBA. It's sad to see such a well designed console get nothing but shovel ware, ports, and re releases.
Have you honestly looked at the lineup of games recently.

Mario & Luigi, Onimusha Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics, Sword of Mana, Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, CIMA, Fire Emblem, King of Fighters and even though its a port Super Mario 3 is excellent. Not to mention Zero Mission, Mario Golf and Sonic Battle, and Metal Slug on the way.

BTW, after all these years of gaming there isn't too much original that hasn't been done one way or another.

Last edited by darkside; 12-24-03 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-24-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darkside
Have you honestly looked at the lineup of games recently.

Mario & Luigi, Onimusha Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics, Sword of Mana, Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, CIMA, Fire Emblem, King of Fighters and even though its a port Super Mario 3 is excellent. Not to mention Zero Mission, Mario Golf and Sonic Battle, and Metal Slug on the way.

BTW, after all these years of gaming there isn't too much original that hasn't been done one way or another.
I will back this up by saying Mario & Luigi is THE most innovative RPG I have ever played since Paper Mario, and before that, Earthbound.. both by Nintendo I might add..
Old 12-25-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My brother just got Mario and Luigi and not being an RPG fan, it looked very interesting and something I may pick up in the near future.