Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Greatest Film Trilogy Ever?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: So is LOTR the best trilogy?
Yes, The Lord of the Rings is without question the greatest film trilogy ever
58.11%
No, but it is still one of the best
28.83%
No, not even close
12.16%
I don't know
0.90%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-03, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is LOTR the best?
Old 12-21-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
No. A very good one though.
Old 12-21-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although there are other trilogies I've seen that have better individual parts, I can't think of too many that are as strong the entire three movies.
Old 12-21-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say I don't know because at this point I really can't answer the question. I might be able to in a couple years when LOTR isn't as fresh in my mind. Right now I regard Indiana Jones as the best trilogy ever, but I can see LOTR overtaking it eventually.
Old 12-21-03, 09:32 PM

Yes. ROTK solidified the trilogy as the best ever for me, knocking Indiana Jones and original Star Wars down a rung. Truth be told, after seeing the first Matrix film, I thought THAT would be the trilogy-to-beat, but I was sadly mistaken.
Old 12-21-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
right now. Yes.
Old 12-21-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
It's the best Trilogy ever filmed at once.

Thank God no one mentioned the Matrix. Oh jeez, I just did. I hate it when I do that.
Old 12-22-03, 12:02 AM
Suspended

A friend asked me after I saw RotK if I thought it was better than the original star wars trilogy, and I couldn't say for sure at the time, but now after seeing it a second time, and also the 2 EEs now, I really feel that now it is. So I'd rank em....

LotR #1, and Star Wars & Indiana Jones tied for second. 3rd, for me, would be the Matrix. I know a lot of people hated the second 2 matrix movies, but I liked em all.
Old 12-22-03, 12:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would say it is. As for other greatest trilogies, I would have to put some things ahead of Star Wars and The Godfather. The Apu Trilogy, The Qatsi Trilogy, The Dead or Alive trilogy, for example.
Old 12-22-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's up there.
Old 12-22-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is why Lord of the rings was the best ever:

Godfather- Part 3- what the hell is this..

Star Wars- Return of the Jedi- Ewoks ruined it.

Indiana Jones- The last one is not as good as the rest

LOTR- Return of the king was just phenomenal. Everything and more...
Old 12-22-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

raven56706 has some good points.

For me, it would be the Godfather series, no question, if it weren't for #3. No way that movie holds up to #1 and #2.

Right now, LOTR is the most solid trilogy ever made, right above Star Wars and BTTF.
Old 12-22-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would say its the best of all time, since most other trilogys have had good part 1's and 2's but the part 3's have blown.
Old 12-22-03, 11:23 AM

IMHO, Yes. Followed by Star Wars and Indiana Jones.
Old 01-01-04, 03:35 AM
Banned

Not even a close contest. All other "trilogies" are uneven, having been done by separate directors/writers, etc. over a span of time.
Godfather 3 was weak; Star Wars 2 & 3 couldn't compare to the original, which was obviously shot as a self-contained story; Indy 2 had a totally different (and worse) tone from first & third. Most of these criticisms could be applied to any other trilogy (BTTF & DIE HARD, for instance)....or, for that matter, to ANY film series. LOTR--flaws & all--is the only one that can be viewed as an entire story that flows smoothly from one film to the next. In other words, LOTR is actually one LONG movie rather than 3 separate stories...just as Tolkien intended. Also, keep in mind that the other "trilogies" were only made as the result of the success of the first film, whereas all three parts of LOTR were filmed simultaneously. It slays me when some "critics" argue in favor of other "trilogies" and then spend most of their time pointing out the fatal flaws in those same "trilogies"...in effect, basing their preferences on the best individual parts of those films as opposed to judging the 3 parts as a whole. That is why LOTR will stand at the top until someone else takes the same gamble & simultaneously films 3 parts of an already-existing epic. Wouldn't recommend that you hold your breath waiting for that to happen anytime soon.
Old 01-01-04, 04:27 AM
Banned

It aint the best but its one of the best...
Old 01-01-04, 04:52 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

It IS the best. There may be single movies from other trilogies that are better than any LOTR films, i.e. T2, ANH, ESB, ROTLA, GF I. but as a whole trilogy, it outdoes the rest. there are weak parts of every other trilogy. ROTJ, GF III, TOD, T3. None in LOTR.
Old 01-01-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<best eric cartman voice...>

GD it!!! lotr is NOT a sequel!!!!! one book... three parts... one film... three parts. daaaammmmmmmnnn it!!! how hard is this to understand?!!?

<end cartman voice>

Originally posted by creekdipper
Star Wars 2 & 3 couldn't compare to the original
oh brother, SW is a great movie, but ESB is the best film that has ever taken place in a different galaxy.

j
Old 01-02-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I was just about to post the same thing about Empire. Perfect movie in my eyes just like Raiders.
Old 01-02-04, 01:07 AM
Banned

*raises hand*

Umm.. it is not a trilogy. It is a single story/movie that was separated into three parts.
Old 01-02-04, 01:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by joshd2012
*raises hand*

Umm.. it is not a trilogy. It is a single story/movie that was separated into three parts.
Dictionary.com has two definitions for trilogy. The first: "A group of three dramatic or literary works related in subject or theme." In this case, Lord of the Rings falls into the category. It was released as three books and three films. It may have been written all at once, but by virtue of release, the fact they they are now three separate entities, makes it a trilogy.

The second definition: "A series of three dramas which, although each of them is in one sense complete, have a close mutual relation, and form one historical and poetical picture. Shakespeare's `` Henry VI.'' is an example."

I don't know if Lord of the Rings falls into that category, because I wouldn't say any one of the three films is complete. You need all three. However, you could probably argue that all three taken on their own are in one sense complete.
Old 01-02-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sigh...

Dictionary.com has two definitions for trilogy. The first: "A group of three dramatic or literary works related in subject or theme." In this case, Lord of the Rings falls into the category. It was released as three books and three films. It may have been written all at once, but by virtue of release, the fact they they are now three separate entities, makes it a trilogy.
uh, no. That definitition fails.. in the first 2 words no less. Its not a "group"... its one literary work. Presenting it as 3 distinct parts is the work of publishers etc. That act by the publisher/studio has nothing to do with whether or not the film was a trilogy or not... if it did, films shown on tv with commercial breaks would instantly become duododecahedrologys or something... and they arent... in spite of breaks its one film. Same thing with LotR, always conceived as one work from the begining.

The second definition: "A series of three dramas which, although each of them is in one sense complete, have a close mutual relation, and form one historical and poetical picture. Shakespeare's `` Henry VI.'' is an example."
this one fails too... its one drama, not three and none are even close to being complete without the other 2. Indiana Jones films are a real trilogy... LotR is one flick.

However, you could probably argue that all three taken on their own are in one sense complete. [/B]
?!

j
Old 01-02-04, 12:40 PM
Retired

I'll avoid the semantic debate, as in reality most trilogies are really one long story. I realize the book was all one book, and just split into sections by the publisher, but it's still a pointless debate.

At any rate, in my opinion this is the best trilogy ever. By that I simply mean it's my favorite. It beats Star Wars (my old favorite) in every conceivable area.
Old 01-02-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I would have voted best ever if I hadn't already seen the Three Colors trilogy.
Old 01-02-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All a matter of opinion. While some would rank Godfather Part III as weak, I would rank parts 1,2 and 3 of the LOTR trilogy as weak.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.