DVD Talk
Any way to transfer your addresses and datebook info to a new Palm (different user)? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Any way to transfer your addresses and datebook info to a new Palm (different user)?

Toad
12-21-03, 05:02 PM
I have my Palm (old one).
Getting a new one for my wife.

Rather than re-enter essentially all the same info, anyway I can somehow hotsync all the info in mine to hers?

I guess I could set up hers under my old name and do it that way, then edit the user info and change the name, but maybe that doesn't work.

Thanks.

stevevt
12-21-03, 05:15 PM
Once your wife syncs for the first time, do the following:

* Back up the entire Palm (C:\Program Files\Palm) directory.

* Then, go to C:\Program Files\Palm\<your user>

* Copy your Address and Datebook folders to C:\Program Files\Palm\<her user>.

* When your wife syncs again, she should get all your info.

If not, at least you backed up your Palm directory. :)

Toad
12-21-03, 05:33 PM
Cool, thanks so much --- I actually just looked at that and thought that would be a great option.

Appreciate your help!!

stevevt
12-21-03, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Toad
Cool, thanks so much --- I actually just looked at that and thought that would be a great option.

Appreciate your help!!

Not a problem.

I just noticed that some of the stuff I typed in my first post went away. Quote my post to see what it was exactly, but in general it was adding the (your user) and (her user) at the end of the Palm path.

Toad
12-21-03, 07:44 PM
How exactly does it work if I want one Palm to be mine, and another to be hers?

How do I deal with Hotsyncing so the computer/PDA knows I only want to, i.e., update MY information and not hers?

Will both Palms have all my information and all her information, and you essentially "switch users" when you turn it on?

stevevt
12-21-03, 09:25 PM
Syncing is based on the username associated with the device. When you sync, you're updating/getting updated files from the C:\Program Files\Palm\youruser folder.

When devices with 2 different names sync to the same PC, you'll get "devicename1" and "devicename2" folders in the Palm directory (substitute the actual names, of course).

When you sync your Palm, you'll only be updating your information. After the initial copy so that your wife will have all of your contacts and appointments, the devices will be completely independent. If she deletes appointments and addresses from her handheld, only her Palm user folder is updated.

Makes sense?

This is all pretty seemless in The World of Palm. The only non-standard thing you're doing is the initial copy/replace of her datebook and address info so that she's not starting from scratch.

Toad
12-22-03, 06:19 AM
That all seems logical, but I can't remember typing in my username ever on my Palm...

namja
12-22-03, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Toad
That all seems logical, but I can't remember typing in my username ever on my Palm...
The first time a Palm gets hotsynced, it either (1) asks you for a username if it's a new account or (2) asks you to use an existing username if one exists on the PC.

Toad
12-22-03, 08:14 AM
Great, I think that sums it all up perfectly -- thank you both!

I guess I just wasn't counting on the computer being smart enough to tell which Palm is which, and which user is which, etc. I thought you could have more than one user per Palm, which is not what we want -- but I thought it could confuse things anyway.