Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else FINALLY won over by ROTK?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the first Lord of the Rings movie and was underwhelmed. Saw it again on DVD and still didn't get it. The second movie was enjoyable for the battle scene, but still a little too much hogwash dialogue for me. Today I just watched one of the best movies I've ever seen.... Return of the King. What a wonderful movie. I still rolled my eyes a couple of times over the dialogue, but there is no question this was the crowning glory of the series and I'm curious if there are others out there who had their mind changed a little bit about the trilogy.
Old 12-20-03, 10:02 PM

When I first saw FOTR, I was hugely disappointed. I then watched the EE, and it started growing on me. After I saw TTT, I was hooked.
Old 12-20-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nope, not really. I've seen ROTK twice, and really don't have any desire to see it again until the EE comes out next year.
Old 12-21-03, 11:33 AM

I was won over the first time I saw FOTR.
Old 12-21-03, 05:18 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's funny, this describes me PERFECTLY, except I still may not think RotK is one of the greatest movies *ever* (as I tend to reserve that judgment until I've seen a movie several times and let it really sink in), but it's still a superior film and possibly the best I've seen this year (although I haven't seen a lot of the 'good' movies yet, like Lost in Translation, Mystic River, etc.). Your opinions on the first two match mine pretty well.
Old 12-21-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually enjoyed ROTK and will probably see it at the $1 theater.
I hated FOTR. That movie bored the crap out of me. Tired me out also. Went home and had a 6 hour nap.
TTT was OK. It didn't bore me like FOTR did. Probably the whole Helm's Deep battle kept me interested.

Has ROTK changed my mind about the others? No. I never plan on seeing FOTR again. I might see TTT again sometime but if I don't, I will not complain. I remember how the story went so I can see ROTK without needing to see them again.
Old 12-22-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ROTK is the best and i plan on seeing it more then all...
Old 12-22-03, 08:46 AM

Re: Anyone else FINALLY won over by ROTK?

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I saw the first Lord of the Rings movie and was underwhelmed. Saw it again on DVD and still didn't get it. The second movie was enjoyable for the battle scene, but still a little too much hogwash dialogue for me. Today I just watched one of the best movies I've ever seen.... Return of the King. What a wonderful movie. I still rolled my eyes a couple of times over the dialogue, but there is no question this was the crowning glory of the series and I'm curious if there are others out there who had their mind changed a little bit about the trilogy.
So basically, talking BAD...fighting GOOD!
Old 12-22-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay...I fell asleep in the first movie. Literally. My GF woke me as the credits started. A friend took me to see it again, and I stayed awake, but still hated it. Same friend loaned me the EE of FOTR and it explained some of the backstory I was missing, and I could appreciate it a bit.

Saw TTT with the same GF, and it was much better. Maybe cause I got the story a bit more and didn't get all lost in the "Sir Bubbuh of Bootyville" and such. Bought both DVDs as my kids showed some interest as well.

Was actully excited about seeing ROTK. But, was dissappointed. I went in thinking I was ready...then got thrown out of it at silly things..like Gandalf using the white light from his staff to make the flying things go away..THEN NEVER USING IT AGAIN! I'm sure my friend and a bunch on this board can explain it, but..I dunno...I don't think a movie should need someone explaining what happened in the book. I'm sure this trilogy is great for those who read the book, but I don't think they did a good enough job for the rest of us. It was fun. Good effects. And a DVD that I'll pop in from time to time. But I was not finally won over.

Thanks in advance for not attacking my opinion.
Old 12-22-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Anyone else FINALLY won over by ROTK?

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
So basically, talking BAD...fighting GOOD!
Haha... the funny thing is that I actually avoid most action flicks. I really like dialogue driven movies, but dialogue about Mordor of the Marshlands and Gertrude the Almighty Blessed White Fairy tend to cause the zzzzz factory to kick in. My least favorite part of ROTK was easily the 30 seconds or so of Cate Blanchett and her pixie-cheese character. Such a GREAT actress put into a yucky role.
Old 01-04-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel the same way.

FOTR (only seen EE) was alright, but only alright. I liked the parts in the Shire the best. I saw TTT, and I liked that a fair bit more, but still not a lot. Not seen the EE. I saw ROTK today, and I really enjoyed it except for a few parts which I just found stupid.
Old 01-04-04, 10:28 AM

I enjoyed Fellowship more than Return of the King. I actually like the dialogue more than the fighting.
Old 01-04-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed Fellowship, but it was the Two Towers that really won me over. Return of the King was really great, and I don't have any complaints, but TTT, I think, will be my favorite of the series.
Old 01-04-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed Fellowship more than Return of the King. I actually like the dialogue more than the fighting.
Funny how if someone doesn't like Fellowship, but does like Return of the King, it's assumed it's because they only like the action scenes. This is untrue, as the only parts of Fellowship I really enjoyed was the stuff at the start with Bilbo.
Old 01-04-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Bilbo is the best, Frodo just takes after him.
Old 01-08-04, 06:03 PM
Suspended

I enjoyed the Fellowship of the Ring slightly more than the Return of the King.

FOTR was the first of the trilogy that introduced all the characters and showed most of their background and such. Their initial journey and peril that set the wheels in motion. What I liked the most in FOTR was the music. It's unparallel to the ones in the Two Towers and ROTK.
Old 01-12-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FOTR and TTT made me doze off half way through for maybe 10-15 minutes. I found them to be only decent, but maybe it was because I didn't fully understand everything. After watching ROTK, I borrowed my friend's EEs of the first two and enjoyed watching them. While I'm still not a LOTR geek, I've grown to like the trilogy as a whole and I am proud to say that I can watch these movies now without dozing off.
Old 01-12-04, 05:01 AM
Banned

I loved these LOTR movies from the first second!
Old 01-13-04, 10:48 AM
Banned

I wasn't too into the second one. I enjoyed the first immensely. I suppose when the third comes out on dvd and I watch all three without interruption, I'll be completely won over.

I do find Legolas's character to be annoying. Stare at the camera and tilt your head. Thats the only thing you're good for! That and doing a flippy move to get on a horse.
Old 01-23-04, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fellowship is my favorite, with ROTK being a very close second (and that could change after more viewings; I've seen it 5 times now). I think Fellowship has a depth of emotion that Two Towers almost completely lacks - TTT is too action-oriented for my taste.

ROTK, I think, combines the best of both worlds - the artfulness of FOTR with the gritty action of TTT.
Old 01-25-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ephemeral_Life
When I first saw FOTR, I was hugely disappointed. I then watched the EE, and it started growing on me. After I saw TTT, I was hooked.
Yep. Same here.
Old 02-05-04, 11:17 PM

The scenery is pretty, New Zealand is pretty, I think that's what I've been saying about most of these hour long epics [Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc] recently

I think I didn't fall asleep with the first one, just lost interest half way. Second one I felt dizzy with the camera angles, and fell asleep 3/4 through it. Third one I haven't even bothered to see.

I've watched many movies in a row, as well as entire anime series, or TV marathons..but I can't stomach these films..so I guess I won't be "won over" by "Return of the King"

Which makes me quite sad, I rather love sword fighting, magic, knights, castles, etc. I thought I would love the series when I found out what it was about, but was rather bored.

I read the book after watching the first one, and the only interesting thing was the flowery, well written English..but other than that..pretty cold point A to point B story..
Old 02-06-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked fellowship of the ring the best out of all of them. It seemed to involve much more about the characters and less about the fighting/action. I just really enjoy character driven films the most. I enjoyed the second and third too, although the third seemed to drag in the closing/ending and I really got tired of Frodo "struggling." Every scene seemed to be him falling over from exhaustion and being saved by someone.
Old 02-08-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Yesterday I saw it for the first time since Trilogy Tuesday. And my feelings about it are pretty much the same. I like it, I just don't love it as much as I do the first two films, particularly FotR. I was hoping time would change things, as well as not sitting in the theater for over twelve hours, but it hasn't. It wasn't any better (or any worse than my initial impression). My rating stays the same: ***1/2 out of 5.