Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interesting discussion question (ROTK SPOILERS)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-19-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Sam finds Frodo all spun up after Shelob stings him he believes Frodo is dead and he takes the ring and hides (I believe if he knew Frodo was alive he would have stayed and defended him and probably died) I was just discussing this with a friend and we talked what if Sam didn't hear the orcs say Frodo is just knocked out and they took him and he thought Frodo was dead would Sam have continued the journey alone and tried to destroy the ring himself? I think that he would try and give his all to carry out Frodos task, I am not sure that he would have made it alone though
Old 12-19-03, 03:41 PM
Suspended

well if I remember right, in the book, Sam took the ring thinking Frodo was dead and was going to finish the job himself. He put the ring on to hide from the orcs and thats when he heard Frodo wasn't dead.. something like that. But, I dunno how he could put on the ring and not have Sauron know about it.....
Old 12-19-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the book, he tried to set off by himself for a short while. Very quickly the ring began working on his mind and emotions, and he began imagining himself as a conquering hero. His plain 'Hobbit sense' snapped him out of it and he realized he wasn't strong enough (in that way) to carry the ring. Then he finds out Frodo lives and rescues him from the top of the tower of Cirith Ungol.
Old 12-19-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
In the book didn't Sam sit with Frodo's body for a long period of time? He kinda gave him a "send off" because he thought he was dead right?

Then, as mentioned above, he decided to finish the mission by taking the ring. I can't remember if he used the ring when he went to save Frodo from the Orcs who captured him. But isn't all this is why Sam went to the Undyling Lands at the end of his life like Frodo and the other Ringbearers?
Old 12-19-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't recall Sam ever actually putting on the ring, but he was tempted to. I think "The Choices of Master Samwise" chapter is about this, if anyone has their copy handy to check.
Old 12-19-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
He puts on the ring, he even falls asleep/passes out with it on.
Old 12-19-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by Jepthah
I don't recall Sam ever actually putting on the ring, but he was tempted to. I think "The Choices of Master Samwise" chapter is about this, if anyone has their copy handy to check.

I can't either...did Sam at least put it around his neck? I don't know why but it would seem to me that would be one step down from putting it on the finger.
Old 12-19-03, 05:20 PM

he does puts it on, and it gives him better hearing and finds out the orcs talking that frodo is alive because shelob eats its prey fresh
Old 12-19-03, 08:13 PM

Yes Sam puts the ring on, and I believe the Eye of Sauron doesn't notice because it is focused on the siege of Minis Tirith. Maybe the ring was harder to sense also due to its new master.
Old 12-19-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I obviously need to read the books again. Not that that's a bad thing.
Old 12-19-03, 08:46 PM
Suspended

I hope in the extended version it goes through this Sam sequence discussed here. I heard a comment before that 'Frodo and Sam should've each carried the ring half way' I think it's important to establish that Sam can't carry the ring.
Old 12-19-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt the EE will show Sam using the ring. Frodo rarely uses the ring in the movies, so I doubt they'll show Sam using it.