Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

do FLOGGING MOLLY fans mosh?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 06:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to my first FM concert on the 10th of January here in Los Angeles at the avalon. Really looking foward to it.

Is there a lot of moshing at FM shows? I've never been to a concert where there was one, except for the aquabats, but that was more strange dancing and bumping into people.

If there is moshing, what are some precautions I should take before and during the show?

I wear glasses for distance, but I assume it would be the smartest to just leave em in the car that night.
Old 12-18-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your instinct is right on the glasses thing. I had a moment of absolute horror when my (only pair of) glasses were knocked off my face and into the mosh pit at a show last year.
Old 12-18-03, 09:07 PM

it depends. if you plan on going in the pit i would leave them in the car. it gets sorta rough, friendly though. if you fall down there will be plenty of people looking out for you and will help you back up. but if you lose the specs there isn't much anyone can do. if you plan on hanging around the outer edge you could take a chance with the glasses but i wouldn't recommend it.

enjoy the show, FM kicks ass live.
Old 12-18-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've seen FM twice - once at a club (w/ the Bosstones and the Tossers) and once at a Celtic festival (w/ Seven Nations). There was no moshing at the latter and plenty of it in the former. Luckily, I was sitting at the second level so I could enjoy that show.

And they do kick ass live.
Old 12-19-03, 10:39 AM

Linus, were you at the Dublin Irish Fest this past August? my roommate and i were at the saturday show. that was a good time. i just wish i would have had more time to roam around the festival itself.

i've seen them twice in Columbus, once in Chicago, and once in Pittsburgh. great live band.
Old 12-19-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
People still mosh?
Old 12-19-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by WestEndRiot
Linus, were you at the Dublin Irish Fest this past August? my roommate and i were at the saturday show. that was a good time. i just wish i would have had more time to roam around the festival itself.
Yeah, I was there on Saturday night when FM closed the show (7N closed on Sunday). Excellent show. The festival was fun, the food was great, and there were some cool vendors, but it was kind of rainy that day which decreased the level of enjoyment somewhat. But it's always great to make fun of the renaissance fair-types, who were quartered off in their own little section.

BTW, I have some pictures of the FM/7N show and the festival at my Imagestation site. They're in the "Dublin Irish Festival 2003" album (duh).
Old 12-19-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only seen them at clubs (except once). Mostly people are too busy guzzling Guinness and singing along to run around in circles counter clockwise, punch anyone in their way and then run.

Great, fun live band. Don't miss them!
Old 12-19-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flogging Molly has a loyal fan base in LA and everytime I've seen them there has been plenty of excitement in the crowd -- not always "moshing" but lots of bouncing and moving. It's a friendly atmosphere though...

It's been a long time since I've seen them. I thought about going to the Avalon show, but I'm not sure I can afford it. I miss the days of seeing them at the Troubadour.
Old 12-23-03, 10:49 AM

flogging molly is great
Old 12-23-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by saoirse
flogging molly is great
Good to hear that an Irishman likes them.
Old 12-23-03, 03:33 PM

You bet.

I also love Shane MacGowan, Eire Og, Seanchai, Irish Brigade, Charlie and the Bhoys (Scots-Irish), Pilgrims, Shebeen, etc.

Most of those a little more political though.
Old 12-23-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by saoirse
You bet.

I also love Shane MacGowan, Eire Og, Seanchai, Irish Brigade, Charlie and the Bhoys (Scots-Irish), Pilgrims, Shebeen, etc.

Most of those a little more political though.
I know Shane, but haven't heard of any of the others. Are they similar to Flogging Molly or the Pogues?

Do you like Dropkick Murphys at all?
Old 12-25-03, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Been to two FM shows and have never seen moshing. One of the shows did end with random people linking arms and swaying to the finale though.

Definetely my favorite band. Their concerts are simply incredible. This sounds like a cliche, but from their very first note, the sound legitimately shoots from the stage and crashes into you like a freight train. Really awesome stuff.

Last edited by BJacks; 12-25-03 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-25-03, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by BJacks
Been to two FM shows and have never seen moshing. One of the shows did end with random people linking arms and swaying to the finale though.
i think it depends on what kind of show it is and the city in which its held. the festival show Linus and i were speaking of was pretty rowdy near the stage. coupled by the fact that security was made up of actual policemen instead of event security things got a bit out of hand. nothing that interrupted the show but clearly they over reacted a couple times and the band was hounded through the set to urge the crowd to calm down. but i can tell you it was nothing different than the crowd at the Newport (a Columbus OH joint)...just a case of the security not knowing what to expect. also it should be noted that their drummer George is from Columbus and their shows are always packed when they're in town. but if any place can be considered a hometown for the band its LA so i think 'whynotsmile' can expect a fairly spirited crowd.

Originally posted by BJacks
Definetely my favorite band. Their concerts are simply incredible. This sounds like a cliche, but from their very first note, the sound legitimately shoots from the stage and crashes into you like a freight train. Really awesome stuff.
i first saw them in Chicago when they opened for the Bosstones. i hadn't heard them before but a couple friends told me to make sure i saw their set and that it'd be a good time. and they were right. by the time Delilah rolled around i was singing along. i bought Swagger the next day. i can't recall another instance where i saw an unknown band (to myself) and thought "jesus these guys are good...i'm going to buy their cd tomorrow."

FYI: expect a new record in the spring.
Old 12-27-03, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by DodgingCars
I know Shane, but haven't heard of any of the others. Are they similar to Flogging Molly or the Pogues?

Do you like Dropkick Murphys at all?
I like Dropkick Murphys, but much rather Flogging Molly. As for the others I mentioned, none are really like FM, but Eire Og would probably come closest. I'd suggest you download a few songs (if you still do that) and see what you like.