Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So is ROTK marred with Crap Code?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-18-03, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the prints include this new anti-piracy distraction as many have predicted?
Old 12-18-03, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I saw one, in the middle of the Minas Tirith battle scene, but I didn't notice too much...
Old 12-18-03, 04:16 PM

i think i saw it at that point too, it's overlayed with one of the catapults (iirc)
Old 12-18-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
saw plenty.. oddly enough they like to put them against scenes that have 90% white.
Old 12-18-03, 04:19 PM

Just like Snowlarbear, I saw the cap dots over a catapult during the Minas Tirith battle.
Old 12-18-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was too fleeting I'm not even sure it was one, but yeah, during the siege as well.
Old 12-18-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I never noticed any. I have noticed them in other films. I must have been too absorbed.

Last edited by movielib; 12-18-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 05:07 PM
Suspended

I go to the movies all the time, and I still have yet to ever see one of these silly dots everyone keeps talking about.
Old 12-18-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, noticed quite a few... i saw the trilogy and the cap code was extremely bad in both Fellowship and Two Towers EE... why would they even bother? No one would go to a theatre to pirate the EE's when they could just rent the damn dvd and rip it!!!

MATT
Old 12-18-03, 06:26 PM

I didn't notice any...at one point I thought about it and looked for a bit, but then I got back into the story. I think they almost ALWAYS appear against a white or bright background...or maybe that's just when they are most noticable.

Just as long as they don't start putting these on the DVDs!
Old 12-19-03, 09:32 AM

I had never noticed them before in any other movie, but they were there during the catapults. Didn't see them anywhere else though. Noticeable enough for me to be somewhat distracting
Old 12-19-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the Triology Tuesday showing, I think I caught every one in Fellowship and Two Towers, but didn't see nary a one in Return.

Maybe because it was all new? I dunno.

I really effing hate those damned dots, tho. Another reason, aside from $14.00 tickets, $7.50 popcorn and idiots who pay good money to sit in the dark and talk, to avoid going to the theatre.
Old 12-19-03, 11:22 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Isn't ROTK supposed to be the first movie with the next-generation Carp Code, that places small fish in random scenes?
Old 12-19-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I noticed them a few times in ROTK, most notably during the siege of Minas Tirith. They were really only visible because of the bright background of the white city, otherwise I probably wouldn't have seen them. I noticed them mostly in FOTR and TTT, but I was so absolutely engrossed in ROTK that I barely noticed them when they popped up onscreen.
Old 12-19-03, 08:19 PM

the place i went to had some error with the movie, and the screen kept flashing red, and the sound would dim out, then as it ended, there was a big red dot cross right in the middle of the screen
Old 12-19-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

can someone give me a link to read about this? It has eluded my horizon of knowledge completely so far ...

when I read the subject line, I thought it had to do with some weird flicker I could see sometimes in some scene .. very subtle ... but i could imagine that it could be used to screw up the frame rate of DV cams ...
Old 12-19-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't notice any, but there was an ad before the show telling people that piracy was bad, so maybe they figured they didn't need CrAP codes.
The only other movie I've seen in the theater since I started hearing about CrAP codes was Kill Bill, and I think I only saw one during the whole show.

I'm seeing Master and Commander tonight, hopefully it's just as CrAP free as RotK and Kill Bill.

Brian
Old 12-19-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The crap codes only show up for one single reel in the entire film. That's around 9 minutes where the red dots may show up in one film.
Old 12-19-03, 10:13 PM

The concept seems pretty silly to me. I don't think someone who has a pirated handheld capture of the film is too worried about some dots. The picture is already going to be out of focus, fuzzy, missing some of the frame, poor audio, etc...
Old 12-19-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm glad to see there's a thread on this already. I SAW THEM EVERYWHERE.... Red Dots. The worst part was i only saw them during crucial scenes, and i saw them on characters faces. So frustrating. Totally takes you out of the movie. I remember seeing them at least 3 times. During the big battle (on the catapult, but also at another point in the battle), the scene with "her", and the ceremony at the end.

Patman, Are you sure about the one reel thing? Cause i KNOW i saw them on the catapult, and also during the ceremony.. easily on two different reels. Maybe i'm just misunderstanding you?

Horrible idea. It has absolutly no chance of ever decreasing piracy. It just adds to the distractions that can take you out of the film.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 12-19-03 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-20-03, 12:36 PM
Retired

I'm glad I've never noticed these in any film. I'm not about to do research into what to look for either.

Ignorance is bliss.
Old 12-20-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if all prints have the code or if they just pick and choose, because I didn't really notice any at all during ROTK, but I saw every single distracting one of them during Master and Commander (at the same theater).
Old 12-20-03, 04:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Astro
The concept seems pretty silly to me. I don't think someone who has a pirated handheld capture of the film is too worried about some dots. The picture is already going to be out of focus, fuzzy, missing some of the frame, poor audio, etc...
The dots aren't there to make people who buy bootlegs throw their hands up in frustration, they're there so studios can tell which bootlegs came from which theater. Each print is imprinted with a unique set of dots (how much this must cost, I don't know), and when the studios get a hold of bootlegs, they can tell which theater it came from. This is supposed to help them, somehow.

And, for the record, I have seen the dots on every film I've watched since Kill Bill came out. It seems to be widespread now. I definitely noticed them in both LOTR EEs and ROTK.
Old 12-20-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Every film that I've seen the red dots in them (and I see pretty much all the new releases at the theaters), they are always confined to one reel in the film.

Think about it: If you wanted to scar each print individually for tracking purposes, it makes sense to only do one reel of each film released (consider the logistic involved as well). Why scar more than one reel if you don't have to do so?
Old 12-20-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't notice any. I've only noticed it once before though, in Kill Bill's black and white scene where it was painfully obvious

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.