Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

You mean Theoden didn't say "Who am I gambling?" (misheard LOTR lines)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 10:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've watched The Two Towers at least three or four times. When Theoden is suiting up in that beautifully lit scene before the Battle of Helm's Deep, every time I saw the movie I thought he said "Who am I gambling?" Like, he was gambling that his troops would be able to save his people... which I thought was very poetic. The guy was reluctant to send his men into harm's way, because he didn't want to use them like chess pawns (or poker chips) to win the safety of his people. That totally fits his character, right?

Tonight I saw Return of the King, and I finally realize that the name of his lieutenant, the guy that helped him suit up in TTT, is named Gamling. So he was really saying "Who am I, Gamling?" Which makes the guy's response of "You are our king, blah blah blah," fit really well.

Anyone else misheard lines from the trilogy, only to realize it later?
Old 12-18-03, 04:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another Gammling thing, when Theoden answers the beacon, he tells Gammling to round up men. There's a shot where Theoden walks out of his hall, talks to one of his men, and then moves on. He then calls for Gammling, who is not yet in the frame. Both times I've seen it, I keep thinking he's calling for Gimli, because of the way he says it.

Often I won't really be able to tell what the name of a certain thing is, because every actor seems to have a different way of pronouncing it, or, if they all pronounce it the same way, it sounds different than the way it's spelled (Everyone keeps calling a palantir a "palantia"). I know there's one other one in Return of the King that could easily be two different things, but I can't remember it at the moment. Guess I'll just have to see it again to find out.
Old 12-18-03, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gimli/Gamling.....Saruman/Saoron....Theoden/Theodred...I think Tolkien was trying to confuse people.
Old 12-18-03, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you watch with subtitles then yes he doesnt say gambling