Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's Everyone Hope to See in the ROTK: Extended Edition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 04:51 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I'm really hoping for is more of Sam rescuing Frodo from the tower. It was much more involved in the book, as well as their escape if I recall correctly.

I'd like to see Saruman killed by Wormtongue as well, and I believe PJ confirmed this was filmed and will be in the EE.
Old 12-17-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just more of Eowyn. And a clearer resolution to Saruman's arc.
Old 12-17-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I agree Kal Jedi. I would especailly like to see more of the Ents dealing with Isengard after the defeat if they have any more.

Also, the palantir (I think it's called that) in the water at Isengard. There's a funny reason/scene why it's there and NOT -inside- the Tower. I wonder if Jackson filmed it?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-17-03 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see everything you guys have listed and more!
Old 12-17-03, 06:10 PM
Banned

This is very easy for me. There NEEDS to be more scenes of both Faramir and Denethor, and more delving into the dynamic between the two and why Denethor acts the way he does in the film. I think if there is one near-fatal flaw Jackson did in this entire trilogy it was his decision to cut the Boromir/Denethor/Faramir flashback from The Two Towers. Scenes like Faramir about to be burned and the suicidal march to Osgiliath would have been so much more effective if audiences(who have not read the book) knew who the hell this guy was. As it stands, Denethor and Faramir are probably the most one-dimensional "main" characters in all the movies. 'Tis a shame.

Last edited by Rivero; 12-17-03 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 06:28 PM

- While I didn't miss Saruman in the theatrical, I'd like to see his scenes in the EE
- The Houses of Healing
- How Aragorn and his undead army capture the ships
- Closure for Legolas and Gimli (if I recall correctly, what happens to them is never mentioned, while all the other main characters have a clear ending)
- More of anything!!!
Old 12-17-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Ephemeral_Life

- Closure for Legolas and Gimli (if I recall correctly, what happens to them is never mentioned, while all the other main characters have a clear ending)
I thought Legolas and Gimli leave and spend time exploring caves and Forests together out of Friendship?
Old 12-17-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I thought Legolas and Gimli leave and spend time exploring caves and Forests together out of Friendship?
I think that's how the book has it, but I'm not completely sure the films mentioned the sight-seeing.
Old 12-17-03, 06:58 PM

legolas finally takes the ship and is suspected gimli went with him (not reallyconfirmed in the book) after aragorn is king and later dies, nothing else in middle earth left for him

Oh and what I want to see:
In the trailer there was gandalf vs witch king
Maybe some more in mordor footage, they barely touched how miserable the trip was after frodo is rescued from the tower
And just better cutting (will improve film ashitload) after pelennor battle merry is hurt, then aragorn says they must attack to distract, 5 secs later army in black gate (there are other places too where its too rushed)
More screen time for faramir, house of healing whatever

Last edited by condorito; 12-17-03 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually want to see who is Anakin's dad..... oh wait... wrong trilogy
Old 12-17-03, 07:25 PM

They also sail away to Valinor on a boat after the rest of the fellowship has died.

Sam sailing to the undying lands as an old man would be nice to see too.
Old 12-17-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Saruman at Isengard and more concerning the Palantir

Denethor and his Palantir

Houses of the Healing - to show the beginning of Eowyn/Faramir's relationship.

Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate (even though none of Frodo's captured items were turned over to Barad-dur, I still think they can do something w/ the Mouth.

Gandalf and the Witch King at the front gate of Minas Tirith.

More of Aragorn and the Army of the Dead swarming over the southern regions of Gondor and how they captured the ships and came up the river.
Old 12-17-03, 08:00 PM
Suspended

One thing in the book that I missed was Merry and Eowyn being hurt from killing the lich king and they had to heal from it. You saw when they killed him that their arms were hurt, and then suddenly the next time you see em it's like nothing happened. Also, Eowyn and Faramir getting together and stuff was in the book, but in the movie all you saw was they smiling at each other at the coronation or whatever ya call it. Those are 2 things that just seemed to stick out like a sore thumb for me. Other things like the Mouth of Sauron and the crystal ball the gondor wannabe king guy had weren't really missed much for me. Did the lich king fella remind anyone else of Spawn? For some reason I just kept thinking of Spawn when I saw him with that helmet on

All in all I thought the 3rd movie was easily the best of the 3, but I do feel the ending was too long for the theater audience. Even though what happens in the end is important, I think it could have just ended with everyone bowing to the hobbits, and then save the longer ending for the EE DVD. We had a packed theater and a few people left around that part prolly cuz they figured it was all over, and didn't know they had to hold their bladders for another 15 minutes

I read the book for the first time last winter after seeing the 2 towers, so to me the first 2 movies were like just great fantasy movies but for RotK I was really following everything that happened, reading the book really helped me appreciate the whole thing a lot more. So, anyone that hasn't read the book(s) I really recomend that you do. Even though the story gets corny in some parts (the books were written in a time when gay meant happy ) it's still a great story and will really bring out all the unanswered questions you might have
Old 12-17-03, 09:39 PM
Banned

I would like to see the epilogue covered and also I hope they add Gandalf's fight with the Witch King.
Old 12-17-03, 10:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I felt betrayed that Jackson didn't retain (or film) the original 'complete' Eowyn/Witch King dialogue sequence:

‘Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!’

A cold voice answered: ‘Come not between the Nazgul and his pray! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the house of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.’

A sword rang as it was drawn. ‘Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.’

‘Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!’

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. ‘But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.’

Also the Witch King as described in the book is distinctly different from Jackson put on the screen.

A crown of steel he bore, but between rim and robe naught was there to be see, save only a deadly gleam of eye

even the flawed Rankin/Bass animated film retained most of the dialogue and literal description of the Witch King, They also added a powerful non-book line where Eowyn exclaims after killing the Witch king

"Uncle, I have avenged thee!"

I felt Jackson kind of chinced out here.

Last edited by Giles; 12-17-03 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Giles
I felt betrayed that Jackson didn't retain (or film) the original 'complete' Eowyn/Witch King dialogue sequence:

‘Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!’

A cold voice answered: ‘Come not between the Nazgul and his pray! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the house of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.’

A sword rang as it was drawn. ‘Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.’

‘Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!’

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. ‘But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.’

Also the Witch King as described in the book is distinctly different from Jackson put on the screen.

[i] A crown of steel he bore, but between rim and robe naught was there to be see, save only a deadly gleam of eye

even the flawed Rankin/Bass animated film retained most of the dialogue and literal description of the Witch King, I felt Jackson kind of chinced out here. [/B]

It is beautiful and powerful isn't it?
Old 12-17-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

OK, I'm sold! I'm off to Amazon to buy the books!!! That passage between Eowyn and the Witch King is incredible.
Old 12-18-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely my biggest (and practically only realistic in terms of what they could put in without padding the theatrical version) complaint is the short shrift Denethor received.

Basically you have all done an exceptional job listing what I would like to see. There will be many more 'book moments' in the EE...the longer TT version improved the second film proportionately more than FOTR, and I expect the ROTK EE to make a masterwork as flawless as a film can possibly be.
Old 12-18-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by buckee1
OK, I'm sold! I'm off to Amazon to buy the books!!! That passage between Eowyn and the Witch King is incredible.

It's funny, whenI read the books I kept thinking..."This is written like a King James Bible in that the language is so rich and beautiful"
Old 12-18-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's funny, whenI read the books I kept thinking..."This is written like a King James Bible in that the language is so rich and beautiful"
And it is of course no coincidence that JRR Tolkien was a deeply religious man who recognized the inner meaning and form of the Holy Bible, Giantrobo.
Old 12-18-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Jepthah
And it is of course no coincidence that JRR Tolkien was a deeply religious man who recognized the inner meaning and form of the Holy Bible, Giantrobo.

I know.