Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Any places that sell cheap laptop CD-ROM drives?

Mopower
12-14-03, 10:55 PM
I'm looking for a laptop CD-ROM drive but all the places on line I have found want $60-$100 for one. Anyway to get one cheaper?

X
12-14-03, 11:12 PM
You should find the exact model you need and check eBay. I got several for a ThinkPad that cost around $20 each. Retail wanted around $100+.

Mopower
12-14-03, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by X
You should find the exact model you need and check eBay. I got several for a ThinkPad that cost around $20 each. Retail wanted around $100+.

Thanks X. Another thing. To use the drive in a PC with a custom case all I have to do is get a IDE adapter for it right? Do I need a power adapter also?

X
12-14-03, 11:27 PM
Oh, I thought you were trying to replace an existing internal one.

So you're looking for an external unit that plugs into your laptop? I think you'll have to get a USB or Firewire unit (depending on what your laptop supports) then.

Those are more expensive. I got a nice USB TDK about a year ago for about $50. You have to keep your eyes open for the occasional deal on them.

Mopower
12-15-03, 12:19 PM
No I'm building a custom case out of an ammo box and only a laptop drive will fit. I got inspiration from this.. http://www.zapwizard.com/LANPC/FinalShots/index.html

http://www.zapwizard.com/LANPC/FinalShots/Angle-Big.jpg

Of course mine won't be as complex. I'm not going to make custom connectors or anything. I found the exact same case online for $8. I'm going to try to incorporate an LCD panel but that might be a bit over my knowledge. I thought about not having a CD drive at all and just transer files over a wireless LAN connection but I want to see what I can do to get a drive in it.

X
12-15-03, 12:27 PM
eBay is still a good place to get the drive. But you have to be able to interface it to your IDE controller. Laptop drives have very specific connectors and size/shape characteristics for their particular brand.

Mopower
12-15-03, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by X
eBay is still a good place to get the drive. But you have to be able to interface it to your IDE controller. Laptop drives have very specific connectors and size/shape characteristics for their particular brand. I found an adapter for that. But I'm still not sure about how to power it.