Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

how is the transfer on Ghostbusters 2, Cliffhanger, and Jumanji?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-03, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about picking these up since Bestbuy has them for $7.99. Are they worth it? Is the transfer good for todays standards?
Old 12-14-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the age of the films released without a major restoration I'd say they're very good.
Old 12-15-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, for $8 they are definiely worth it. Ghostbusters 2 looks great, as does Jumanji though I don't know about Cliffhanger. The only problem is that Ghostbusters 2 has no supplements aside from trailers but Jumanji has a decent collection. Otherwise, these are definitely worth it.
Old 12-16-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
The commentary on Jumanji is pretty boring. It's only the SFX crew and I usually enjoy such stuff, but not this one. If it were dropped for say, a Superbit release, I would have no qualms about upgrading.
Old 12-16-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not to mention, Ghostbusters 2 only got stereo surround.... yup, no good ol' 5.1

pisture wise, they're good. not great... but good enough considering this was an early release from Sony

i think Cliffhanger was pretty ok too... nothing to be brag about, they're ok. again, sound is so-so...

haven't seen Jumanji yet...
Old 12-17-03, 03:14 AM

Cliffhanger R2

If you really want to buy a decent Cliffhanger DVD, I think you should prefer Momentum's R2 release. It's anamorphic, it has lot's of extras and 5.1 Dolby Digital sound.

You can find it on blackstar.co.uk.
Old 12-17-03, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eh? Cliffhnger is a Columbia release... did they ever release nonanamorphic DVDs? Not to mention, the english DVD is cut by over a minute.

But keeping with the multiregion thing; Jumanji is a superbit in Japan.
Old 12-24-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Eh? Cliffhnger is a Columbia release... did they ever release nonanamorphic DVDs? Not to mention, the english DVD is cut by over a minute.

ONE WHOLE MINUTE?!?!? You mean to tell me that I'm missing 60 full seconds of rip-cording action the likes of which no fan of arm wrestling for custody of your child has ever seen? Well rappel me a river.
Old 12-25-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i didn't know Cliffhanger was cut/censored

interesting...

i wonder if the Superbit will ever come in US (doubt it)
Old 12-26-03, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's cut in the UK only. You know the UK the country where you can say *unt on TV but you can't show someone head butting.
Old 12-26-03, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pants
It's cut in the UK only. You know the UK the country where you can say *unt on TV but you can't show someone head butting.
Yeah....ummm....darn it all....we shouldn't be able to say a swear word that will harm no one and promote violence. Yah. And while we're at it, let's make sure there's no nudity on tv too...because that's what's REALLY harming our children.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

In either case, i have the R3 Cliffhanger 2 disc and it has DTS and all the extras. Very good quality for a 10 year old movie. I still remember the first time i saw this. Crazy.
Old 12-26-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by milo bloom
The commentary on Jumanji is pretty boring. It's only the SFX crew and I usually enjoy such stuff, but not this one. If it were dropped for say, a Superbit release, I would have no qualms about upgrading.
Old 12-28-03, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yeah....ummm....darn it all....we shouldn't be able to say a swear word that will harm no one and promote violence. Yah. And while we're at it, let's make sure there's no nudity on tv too...because that's what's REALLY harming our children.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

In either case, i have the R3 Cliffhanger 2 disc and it has DTS and all the extras. Very good quality for a 10 year old movie. I still remember the first time i saw this. Crazy.
So just so I understand you loud and clear: You are in favor of the national censorship that goes on in England?

I pity you

The funny thing is that we're both in agreement, you just aren't reading my post correctly. I hate england's censorship laws just like you do. I'm complaining about the rediculous rules in england that forbid headbutting and nunchucks. There rules are just rediculous

Last edited by Pants; 12-28-03 at 03:15 PM.