Reload this Page >

Fatal Frame II is out, any impressions?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-12-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one slipped under the radar, I didn't even know it was out but it was released yesterday! I really liked the first one. It wasn't as scary for me but the atmosphere was superb. Anyone get this yet?
Old 12-12-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gamespot gave it an 8.2, which is good for them:

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly may be light on challenge, but it's still rich in great, dark atmosphere. Fans of the first game will find a similar story that's still plenty creepy, and while the lack of difficulty hurts the experience somewhat, those new to the genre or those who hate the item-rationing aspect of other survival horror games will find this game a nice change of pace.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventur...e2/review.html
Old 12-12-03, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first one was awesome. I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop. Obscure titles like this one usually drop within a couple months.
Old 12-12-03, 03:18 PM

I waited on the original one for PS2 to drop and then when I finally wanted it, I couldn't/can't find it new in my area heh. I will end up having to buy it used which I hate to do. FF2 is on my Christmas list.
Old 12-12-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds good. One of the things I absolutely loathed about Resident Evil 2 was the item-rationing part. Sure, I understand that it's more exciting if you only get a few bullets occasionally... but damn, fighting hand-to-hand was so much more dangerous than using a weapon that you ended up rationing every single bullet. As in, if it took you three bullets to kill a zombie instead of two, you stopped and reloaded your last. Tons of repetition, tons of boring scavenge-every-pixel-for-ammo work - not my idea of fun.

- David Stein
Old 12-12-03, 04:13 PM

Anyone know if and when it will come to X-Box? I too loved the first one.
Old 12-13-03, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by saoirse
No idea when, but I'm sure it will. Tecmo loves the Xbox.
Old 12-13-03, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Galanthas
I waited on the original one for PS2 to drop and then when I finally wanted it, I couldn't/can't find it new in my area heh. I will end up having to buy it used which I hate to do. FF2 is on my Christmas list.
Don't know if you have a Sam's Club in your area, but I saw several copies of the original PS2 version there last night for $17.82. A hell of a lot cheaper than they're going for on ebay.

I just picked up the XBox version for the wife off of ebay last month for 40+shipping. It was new in package, so I don't feel too ripped, and it was her birthday present anyways.
Old 12-13-03, 06:40 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

yeah I will pick it up when it comes out for the box
Old 12-13-03, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by saoirse
Its amazing that they even made a sequel to this game and translated it to US at all, the sales of the game were terrible unfortunately. The X-Box version sales were even more pathetic than the PS2 version, which sucks because the game is good. Based on that I see why they would even port this to the X-Box, but you never know as the first one kind of came out of nowhere.
Old 12-13-03, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Shagrath
Don't know if you have a Sam's Club in your area, but I saw several copies of the original PS2 version there last night for $17.82. A hell of a lot cheaper than they're going for on ebay.

I just picked up the XBox version for the wife off of ebay last month for 40+shipping. It was new in package, so I don't feel too ripped, and it was her birthday present anyways.
Tagged along with my sister to a local Sam's today, they didn't have it. One other Sam's in the area but will have to wait until she heads that way since I don't have a membership there.
Old 03-18-04, 05:41 PM

As the only person on this forum who has the guts to play this game, I have to speak out on what a great game this is. I rented it last weekend and was not disappointed. It is very similar to Fatal Frame I in that you have to take pictures of the ghosts to kill them and solve puzzles, but the story is pretty good (although again, similar in style to the first game). Graphics are well done, most of the game takes place in the dark with just your flashlight, and there are a number of outdoor areas too. One neat thing they added is that sometimes you also have to travel with 2 characters like Resident Evil Zero so you'll have to watch your partner's back as you explore.

The biggest improvement that impressed me the most were the ghosts and apparitions. They freaked me out in the way some of them are portrayed and appear. I can't really explain why though, you just have to see it to see what I'm talking about. Also the presentation of the story is very well done. I might be a little biased on that part though because I'm a nut for twisted Japanese horror stories.

There are a couple of minor gripes I have but not worth mentioning because they are very minor and don't get in the way of the game. Its more of a horror game rather than a survival horror game, because the game is really easy and you'll zip through it rather quickly, I only died once. But its a great ride while it lasts. If you liked Fatal Frame, you'll love this. For those that didn't, they haven't strayed from the original enogh to change your mind.
Old 03-18-04, 09:19 PM

I need to pick this up. The first one had me and a buddy screaming like scared elementary school girls. The original made great use of 5.1 dolby, as you could hear ghosts sneaking up on you, thumps around the corner, etc.
Old 03-19-04, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ill be picking this up as soon as the price drops down a few bucks.
Old 03-20-04, 02:24 PM

you have to be quick to get this one cheap. i remember when the first fatal frame was on sale at sears for $19.99 i passed it up hoping to get it cheaper at some later point. needless to say, that was a big mistake. that game is pretty difficult to find at a decent price.

anyway, i ordered ff II last week...can't wait. isn't this the same development team that did the deception games for the psone? that was an obscure but fun series.