Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ER -- "Makemba" 12.11.2003

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-11-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makemba

Flashbacks recall Carter's life---and idealistic new lover (Thandie Newton)---in Africa, as he prepares to return to Chicago for the holidays. Back at home, Pratt continues to avoid Gallant's sister (Joy Bryant); and Abby refuses to accept a peace offering from her former flame. Debbie: Mary McCormack. Angelique: Pragna Desai.
Surprised no one's started a thread by now..

But, I didn't care for this. I did kinda like the flashbacks from the ER, but I hope this is the last we see of Africia for a while. I don't like ShaggyCarter either..
Old 12-11-03, 11:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
meh

I have to say I haven't really missed Carter and I'm kind of disappointed he's coming back.

I have feeling we're going to get episodes that all they deal with are leftover feelings from the Abby/Carter relationship and her moping around because he brought his pregnant girlfriend back.
Old 12-11-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dumb flashbacks. Fooled me into thinking it was a rerun, but I didn't remember anything, so then I felt dumb. Then I saw gallants sister, so then i thought Last week was a rerun as well, making me even more confused.
Old 12-12-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw Neela dancing with Gallant. After that I switched to West Wing reruns on Bravo.
Old 12-12-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was very well done. The scene near the end when Carter brought the dying boy his present was perfect.
Old 12-12-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked this episode. It gaves us a recap of Carter and Makemba and how their new romance blossomed in the face of 3rd world conditions. I tend to tune out on a lot of the administration bashing and concentrate on the microstories unfolding.

The dichotomy between Carter and Makemba was interesting as far as character revelations. Carter has always been focused on the micro-level of medicine, while Makemba's focus is on the macro-level of medicine. Carter's outburst from the frustration of not being able to find a quick and easy solution to a complex problem was fitting for him.

I thought it was also telling that Carter didn't consider Romano a friend, but Carter does have a lot of support (in contrast) by what the ER folks send him in time for Christmas. There's probably a lesson there somewhere.
Old 12-12-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually hate the 'road trip' episodes. But I must say that I've really enjoyed the 3 (?) that they've had in the Congo. Great episode last night.
Old 12-12-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BDLOU
I thought it was very well done. The scene near the end when Carter brought the dying boy his present was perfect.
Agreed. I liked that, too.
Old 12-13-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
"oh, dr romano died"
I hate the way they killed him and are handling his death. I realize no one at the hospital liked him, but I still don't like how it's being handled
waever should have died, she's a bitch too but at least Romano was funny in his bitchiness
Old 12-15-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I thought it was a really good ep, too, regardless of the fact that I am pissed Carter and Abby are through. Yeah, I am one of the few who liked them together, they just had to ruin it by constantly bringing in her famn damily. Thandie Newton is hot, but I don't like this baby bullshit. If Carter was going get over Abby w/ anybody it should have been w/ Mary McCormack (me likes her, too).

This show was a little preachy for a few minutes, but I was able to look past that because I really enjoyed the rest of the ep.

Carter and his beard. Now it's time for him to pack, go home and ship Weaver's ass out of the ER for good. Another thing w/ this Thandie Newton/baby sub-plot - you know she won't stay in the Windy City, so why bother?