Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I bought a PS2 [Online Pack Bundle]

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a PS2 [Online Pack Bundle]

Well, actually, not bought. I had bought a regular PS2 [39001] last year at Gamecrazy, with an extended product replacement warranty. I went in today to replace it since the warranty was about to end, even if my PS2 was not really broken. The clerk told me if I wanted to extend my warranty, but I said I found no point to it. The manager, for some reason, really wanted to sell the warranty to people, so he told me that if I bought the warranty and a used game [those $12.99 used greatest hits they have in a big display box] they would give me the $199.99 Online Pack instead of the old 179 one...

So I went ahead and got Kingdom Hearts and the warranty, and got a brand new PS2 with network card, quieter loading and fan, and progressive scan DVD....

it came with this game called ATV Offroad Fury 2. I know it is a good game, based on reviews and a demo I played a long time ago, but it really isn't my type of game. So here I am wondering, what to do with it. How many of you have been able to trade it in at a game store? Even if it says "Not For Resale"?
Old 12-12-03, 05:27 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

are you sure you have the progressive scan system, because so far they have only been sold in the $179 boxes, not the online bundle box.

but you got a good deal anyways, and yes they will let you trade in the game, but I think it is one of the better games on the ps2
Old 12-12-03, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
are you sure you have the progressive scan system, because so far they have only been sold in the $179 boxes, not the online bundle box.
This is just not true. The progressive scan version of the online bundle has been available for about a month to a month and a half around here.
Old 12-12-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've seen both Online Pack and Regular with the little + in the corner. I think at first they were separate, but they've both been the same model for a while [unless you luck onto a store that has some old stock.]

sararekuforever: they let you use the warranty, even though there was nothing wrong with the PS2? Was this a chain store, or local/mom-pop store? I've never heard of Gamecrazy. I've also never had to use an extended warranty, but I didn't think they'd let you do that.

I know it's the 'online pack', but I'm just glad to see them putting a pack-in game again. And the network adapter, makes me wonder why anyone would buy the regular PS2 package now.
Old 12-12-03, 09:57 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Game Crazy is a chain store usually located inside a Hollywood Video.
Old 12-12-03, 10:34 AM

Because people are cheap? Game Crazy is indeed the store located within or next to a Hollywood Video.

However, it is quickly becoming my absolute favorite place to buy games. Today I am going in to use two coupons that are available with their ad, when you rent a movie or a game at Hollywood, or if you buy something of theirs. 20% of a used game,and another one for 20% off a used accessory. I had him/her hold their copy of FFX2 used [to finally have one of my own] and a used DVD remote controller for PS2. After both coupons, and two very generous trade ins [Mad Maestro, $8, and Mobile Light Force 2 $12] I will be able to get both for a little above $20. A new game and something I needed that cheap...I don't think Ebay could do that..or any of the other game stores. They also have a great buy 2 get 1 free sale going on, if you can find a good selection, you can get a lot of old games that are great.

As for how I obtained it. In December of 2002 I bought a PS2 for $199 at Gamecrazy, got 12 free rentals, so decided to buy a memory card and the warranty since the rentals were worth much more than that anyways. The warranty is a product replacement warranty, not a repair warranty. As long as your system is in good external condition, powers up, and has all cords and controller, you can exchange it for a new boxed system. The manager asked me if I wanted to renew my warranty, and I said no, but then offered to call his boss and ask if he could get me the Online Bundle and 12 more free rentals if I did. He called his boss and the boss said that if I bought a used game with the warranty, I could do it.

Pretty much, right now the store is at the top of my list. Sure, I had to spend $35, but I got 12 free rentals, two games, a warranty, and a brand new system with something I was going to buy come FFXI anyways.
Old 12-12-03, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by sararekuforever
The warranty is a product replacement warranty, not a repair warranty. As long as your system is in good external condition, powers up, and has all cords and controller, you can exchange it for a new boxed system.
That doesn't sound right at all. The point of offering a warranty is that you make money when something doesn't go wrong. I think that someone either lied and said the machine was broken or the management just doesn't care.
Old 12-12-03, 11:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow, dude. Your posts aren't nearly as fun when you drop character. Shine on!
Old 12-12-03, 11:38 AM

No, what I am saying is that you can exchange it just because, as long as it powers up and is in good visible condition

However, if it is completely broken [say, it doesn't power up] or the motor is dead, then you can exchange it as well.

The conditions I listed are the conditions for a working exchange.
Old 12-12-03, 11:40 AM

I know, but people always want to get me in trouble for being in character in every thread.
Old 12-12-03, 12:05 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I bought a PS2 [Online Pack Bundle]

it came with this game called ATV Offroad Fury 2. I know it is a good game, based on reviews and a demo I played a long time ago, but it really isn't my type of game. So here I am wondering, what to do with it. How many of you have been able to trade it in at a game store? Even if it says "Not For Resale"?
I'd try to trade it on the exchange forum here. Even if the game stores take it, 9/10 times you get screwed as they pay crap for games unless they have some kind of special going on.
Old 12-12-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
No, what I am saying is that you can exchange it just because, as long as it powers up and is in good visible condition

However, if it is completely broken [say, it doesn't power up] or the motor is dead, then you can exchange it as well.

The conditions I listed are the conditions for a working exchange.
Someone is screwing up, then. Unless the warranty costs about $150 (or whatever the difference between what they pay for a used system and what they charge for a new system) this makes no sense.
Old 12-12-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
That is odd--it sounds to me like that's almost a 'return policy.' Why would you exchange a working piece of hardware, unless the newer releases offer features that the older don't, in which case it would be an 'upgrade' not an 'exchange.' Maybe they mean for it to be an anti-obsolence warranty or something. But that's still weird, because now they're taking back something that not only is almost a year old, but is out of date.
Sounds like you got a good deal regardless, which is cool, but I don't see the business sense in their plan [unless the manager gets huge bonuses on warranties, and not on hardware type sales, so he doesn't care if he loses money on that end.]
Old 12-12-03, 03:13 PM

I think so, because he was really trying to push warranties and used games
Old 12-13-03, 06:44 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

you can do the same thing at Best Buy, just buy the warranty for $20 or $25 and then return it for a new system.( all you have to do is say it skips)
Old 12-14-03, 07:59 PM

I work at Best Buy, all you have to do is go into a store say it skips, locks up after a couple hours, or anything random like that and they will exchange it for you. The store doesnt see any loss at all, although the company does in the long run, but it makes the 'numbers' ( percentages of warranty sales ) look good for that store. That is how, Best Buy's replacement plans work.

The system can be abused over and over again, but that is how at least my store runs it. For example, I bought a Gamecube about a year ago, and we got the GC Zelda bundle in, I made the statement, " Well **** wish I knew that was coming out." A manager asked if I bought the warranty, I said yes, then he told me to bring it in for an exchange, but the warranty will be cancelled. I work at the tech bench, so I said, "Yeah I know, and I have the option of buying a new one, blah, blah, blah....." Long story short I was allowed to bring my GC back, exchange it for the bundle and get a $35.00 store credit with a new 2 year warranty, since it was $150.00 when I bought it.

Kicker is, the manager was happy for his percentages: positive $15.00 on a negative $50.00 sale, so the numbers looked real good. No it doesn't make any sense how it is run, but that's how it works.
Old 12-15-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I bought a PS2 [Online Pack Bundle]

I went in today to replace it since the warranty was about to end, even if my PS2 was not really broken.
Stealing again!