Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lighted Theatre Exit signs - Red or Green?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 03:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been noticing that certain movie theatres in the DC metropolitan area either have the traditional Red Exit signs, and others have them in 'green'. I actually prefer green as they are less eye-detering. The Visions theatre's red exit signs are downright annoying and are very distracting.

On a somewhat related topic, AFI's Silver Theatre side lighting that illuminate the stairs in theatre 2 are another light distraction where periferile (sp) vision is ruined.

I love a dark theatre, if I wanted annoying distracting light sources to ruin my theatre going experience I should have just stayed at home - (just a rant).
Old 12-11-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lighted Theatre Exit signs - Red or Green?

Originally posted by Giles
I have been noticing that certain movie theatres in the DC metropolitan area either have the traditional Red Exit signs, and others have them in 'green'. I actually prefer green as they are less eye-detering. The Visions theatre's red exit signs are downright annoying and are very distracting.
That's odd . . . as a "warm" color like red should blend in better in a dark theater than a "cold" color like green.
Old 12-11-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Couldn't tell you, I hardly notice the exit signs. (mostly red)

Speaking of goofy theater distractions. The Music Box's decor mimics an outdoor setting. The ceiling is painting to look like the night sky, complete with blinking lights for stars and a looped projection of a few clouds floating across.
Old 12-12-03, 01:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For a long time one of the screens in our multiplex had an exit sign (red) that made a horrible buzzing sound. Very distracting, in a different sort of way.
Old 12-12-03, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I hate when a theater isn't completely 100% perfect. One time, I walked into a supposedly " nice " theater, and hidden in a corner was a small popcorn kernel on the ground under a seat . I said to myself, " to hell with this. I demand the world be perfect, or else I can't enjoy this movie ! ". Could I really sit there and watch the movie knowing that kernel was sitting there the whole time ? How could I appreciate the artistry of American Outlaws with that on my mind ? So, I went home and locked myself in a room. I promised to not come back out until the world got its act together . Here I am, 2 years later, and still in this room. I wonder if the world has met my standards of perfection yet.
Old 12-12-03, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
Yeah, I hate when a theater isn't completely 100% perfect. One time, I walked into a supposedly " nice " theater, and hidden in a corner was a small popcorn kernel on the ground under a seat . I said to myself, " to hell with this. I demand the world be perfect, or else I can't enjoy this movie ! ". Could I really sit there and watch the movie knowing that kernel was sitting there the whole time ? How could I appreciate the artistry of American Outlaws with that on my mind ? So, I went home and locked myself in a room. I promised to not come back out until the world got its act together . Here I am, 2 years later, and still in this room. I wonder if the world has met my standards of perfection yet.
True dat
Old 12-12-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup!

. . . . . .
Old 12-12-03, 03:47 PM

Word
Old 12-12-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
are you guys on crack?
Old 12-13-03, 05:18 AM

I find other people to be more distracting than the signs.
Old 12-13-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
I guess my idea of Strobe Exit Lights wouldn't go over well with this crowd....
Old 12-13-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Lighted Theatre Exit signs - Red or Green?

Originally posted by Giles
On a somewhat related topic, AFI's Silver Theatre side lighting that illuminate the stairs in theatre 2 are another light distraction where periferile (sp) vision is ruined.
I'm sorry about your peripheral vision, but how do you expect people to know where the stairs are in a dark, dark theater if there's no illumination?
Old 12-13-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Red makes me angry. Makes me push people over to get to the exit. Green makes me much calmer.
Old 12-15-03, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
are you guys on crack?
Indeed
Old 12-15-03, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
I guess my idea of Strobe Exit Lights wouldn't go over well with this crowd....