Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a market for straight-to-DVD TV shows? (i.e. future eps of Firefly?)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I really think this could work. I don't watch much TV anymore. I think in the future TV will be only for special events - concerts, sport games, news - and the shows will be just on DVD.

How about that rumor of Firefly continuing on DVD? That would be awesome. And who better to bring innovation forth than Joss?
Old 12-11-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, but not a dominating market. People won't buy large sets sight unseen (even though you do), especially when there's no one watching it live building up interest before the release. Also, you won't get people to invest in longterm projects without a steady stream of advertizing piggybacked on already successful programming (i.e. how tv ad dollars work now).

Straight-to-DVD television will be not unlike straight-to-video movies. People will make it, people will buy it, and it will be a part of the system, but television isn't going anywhere (although how it's funded may have to change).

das
Old 12-11-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
As das said, it would just be a fancy way of saying straight to video films. Episodes are episodes because they have been shown on the air. I don't think a show can start off as a direct to dvd only since you need that initial tv slot to atleast get some following for the show.

Besides, the cost would be a bit higher or else you will see the budget go. that budget comes from the studios who know they can make a certain amount of cash from advertisement by showing it on the air.

your "future of tv on dvd" seems like a pipe dream.. more so it seems like a pointless matter. networks are made because of the ad revenue. take that away and they wont be around to show those sport games, news, concerts and other special events.
Old 12-11-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Straight-to-DVD television will be not unlike straight-to-video movies. People will make it, people will buy it, and it will be a part of the system, but it will suck.
Fixed.

Yeah, TV ain't going anywhere. Joss notwithstanding.
Old 12-11-03, 10:44 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt this will ever happen, for a few reasons. First, I think there are still alot of people who enjoy the routine of tuning into a show at a certain time (TiVo users do not apply). But more importantly, people like shows to be free. Yes, cable/satellite costs money, but that's a different beast.

This will probably be a reality for low-rated shows with large cult followings. The shows will get cancelled (because the mainstream audience wasn't there for the advertisers) but the studios behind them will realize there is a decent market still in existence for them. I imagine the releases would come in 3 or 4 episode spurts (or in movie form) instead of box sets. It would be too much to ask for 10-20 hours of original content for under $50.
Old 12-11-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A weekly subcription service would be good. I could subscribe to Farscape for a season and every week I get a dvd in the mail. $30 for a season. And they can dump a few cmmercials on the DVD too.

Lets do I. All we need is a producton company and a good show.
D
Old 12-11-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The anime market in america is pretty much like that.
Old 12-11-03, 01:15 PM

Hasn't this idea been tossed around for a Day of 24? A stand-alone version that will go straight to DVD? Thought I read that somewhere.
Old 12-11-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
I wish they would just film and put season 5 of Farscape on DVD. I'd pay for it, even if it were outrageously expensive, just because I know I'd keep it forever and watch it every year.

tasha
Old 12-11-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I agree with tasha99. I don't even know what the drama about "What nets gonna air the miniseries?" is about...

Just put 'em on DVD. If ALL the Scapers that "Hammered" Hammer were to buy the DVD of the miniseries [hell, even A Farscape Christmas], it would surely fund the fifth season [and who knows, maybe more...].
Old 12-11-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great in theory, but sit down and do the math on what it would actually take, and you'll understand why it's not happening that way. Honestly, do you think the Save Farscape folks didn't suggest that the day it was cancelled?

das
Old 12-11-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Shush you.

It's my fantasy and i'm stickin' to it.

[And in my fantasy we even have enough left over to tar & feather and then draw & quarter Hammer! ]
Old 12-11-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At this point I'd like to post something to the effect of, "I wish I could be in your fantasy," but I'm not going to for obvious reasons.

das
Old 12-11-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
This thread title cracked me up. How is it a TV show if it's not on TV?
Old 12-11-03, 09:31 PM

Lets see if my math is right.
22 episodes
1mil per ep budget = 22 million bucks
Sell the season for $50
440,000 sold to break even.

Thats the equivilent of a .4 rating on TV.

Of course I'm rolling in the cost of the DVD production into the budget.
Add commercials to the beginning and end of each ep to offset some of the costs.

Am I wrong here? If not, numbers suggest that there may be enough people to get another season of Knight Rider made, say nothing of Farscapen or Firefly.

D
Old 12-11-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well first you would have to sell the series for significantly more than 50 because everyone has to get their cut which is very possible considering people pay more for the series now, including myself. Also I don't think an episode costs one million because wasn't one of Sci-fi's complaints that they were always overbudget? How many of the season one dvd's have been sold? That would probably say if this is feasible or not.
Old 12-11-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Also I don't think an episode costs one million because wasn't one of Sci-fi's complaints that they were always overbudget?
That was one of Hammer's claims. And we all know how loose she is with the truth...
Old 12-12-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
And we all know how loose she is
I really could've done without that visual.
Old 12-12-03, 09:42 AM

http://www.toysatellite.org/babel/ey.../farscape.html
The series was shot locally with local directors and a mostly local cast sporting a rumoured $US 2 million per episode budget.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,55028,00.html
Farscape has a budget of $1.4 million per episode. The network picks up roughly half of that cost. The show draws around 950,000-plus viewers. You do the math. It's not cost-effective in the current scheme of things," said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

So lets split the difference and say that to come up with a Farscape quality series, it'll cost about 1.7 mil per episode.

That jacks the season price to around $75 . But I think costs could be shaved to hit $65-70 for 22 eps.

D
Old 12-13-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Derrich
[B]That jacks the season price to around $75
I think you're forgetting to include DVD production/distribution costs and markups.

If you've already got those figured in, your projected sales figures are unrealistic.
Old 12-13-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
The boxset would have to cost at least 100. Remember, the boxsets now, other than at DDD, are already over 100. So for new material you're probably looking at 150 for a whole season of new shows. And what company is footing the loss if the DVD sales don't cover the production costs? I would love for this to happen, but there are just too many problems to consider.
Old 12-13-03, 12:43 PM

I think if serial shows direct to DVD were to happen, the model for a "season" of shows may change to something similar to the current anime market. They'd sell, say, 7 discs seperately with 3-4 new episodes on each. It'd be much easier for a customer to take a chance on Vol. 1 of a series for ~$22 than it would be to buy it all for $150 sight unseen. And of course, if Vol. 1 hooks them, they'd be more than willing to pick up the rest every couple of months for around the same price. (This is how I got all volumes of Excel Saga, Noir and a couple other anime titles in my collection)
Old 12-14-03, 03:47 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like a year or 2 ago, I remember hearing about a sci-fi series that was going to produce a whole season even though all the networks refused to fund them. Does anybody know what happened with that? I think Dennis Hopper was involved.