DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Good Bye, Lenin

BabyBuddha
12-09-03, 03:22 PM
Was wondering if there were any other versions of this on DVD other than the German release which, alas, has no English subtitles.

I'm DYING to see this film -- sounds wonderful, and is winding up on many European "Top 10 of 2003" lists.

Thanks.

Summerwine
12-10-03, 03:22 AM
Well, they did a great DVD but "forgot" to put English subs on it - sad!

The film itself is probably going to be Germany's Oscar contender, especially after winning several of the the European "Felix" awards.

If you get a chance to watch it in a movie theatre, let me know what you're thinking as a non-German - then I'll let you know what I thought about it. ;)

Seb

Grimfarrow
12-10-03, 08:56 AM
To re-iterate my views from another post....

Gosh, I can't believe that this film won a slew of awards at the European Film Awards. I guess people in Europe are suddenly becoming nostalgic about life behind the Iron Curtain or something?

The day the wall came down, our school had a holiday. Then for the next week, we were played the videos of the wall tumbling down - over, and over, and over again. Yes, it is a joyous experience at the time. But watching this film trying to milk that is just....ugh.

And seriously, who missed Spreewald-Gurken?

The film was overlong, overly sentimental, overly slapstick, and it was a one-trick joke that had nothing else to say. Ugh.

pro-bassoonist
12-10-03, 09:14 AM
Grimfarrow-

I understand your amusement however making a film about part of the historic past of Germany (a rather big one mind you) does not mean that the general public is longing for the old-style Soviet Communism the Germans had to deal with in the past.

Like it or not the effect of the superficial post-war division of Germany is still quite noticable- The West prosperous and rich, The East rebuilding from years of isolation.

To generalize that the success of this film indicates rekindled passion for communism in the German socirty is a rather frivolous statement. What happened in the past is there to stay and like it or not Germans will make German movies that deal with the subject. Otherwise, if one draws the same parallel Heaven and Earth or Platoon, etc., could be viewed as an indicator that the American society is still longing for a war in Asia that could have had a different outcome. As you could see these are all blunt generalizations that do not stand a chance against any sort of factual criticism.

I could see your point though....it is indeed a curious occurance.

BabyBuddha
12-10-03, 09:34 AM
Interesting comments.

My wife is from the former East-Germany and she is dying to see the film. Her parents felt that the film brilliantly captured some of the sheer insanity of living in the East. Nostalgic? Perhaps. But I hardly think that equates to a desire to return.

I've ordered the DVD from Amazon.de as a Xmas gift for her. Hoping that my bad German is good enough to understand at least part of the film. . .

Grimfarrow
12-10-03, 10:22 AM
I think you need to see the film before commenting, Pro-bassoonist. Once you see it, you will know why I said what I said. You don't go "awww shucks" at Mocha gold and Spreewaldgurken because of any other reason than nostalgia. I never tried them, mind you, since when I lived in the West it was called Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

But the film has a VERY strong sense of nostalgia for lost idealism of East Germany. And that is a fact.

CptBlackadder
12-10-03, 04:48 PM
If the first announcement is correct, the new upcoming German 3-disc deluxe edition will have English subtitles. It's scheduled for 02/20/04.

mdm67
12-11-03, 08:11 AM
CptBlackadder:

it looks promising, what is the best german e-tailer for DVD's? I just looked for it at Amazon.de but they haven't it, still.

<A HREF="http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mdm67">My Collection</A>

Moon33
12-11-03, 09:26 AM
Check this link:
http://www.dvd-palace.de/dvddatabase/getinfo.php?dvdcode=g-0361
but I'll wait for the review for this deluxe edition first.

dixpicks
12-11-03, 01:00 PM
If someone wants to order it from Amazon.de here is a 3 Euro coupon.
XSZF-2EAQW5-UURB6U
Expires on Dec. 19th.

Giles
12-11-03, 01:07 PM
anyword if an independent US distributor might release this theatrically?

davros
12-11-03, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CptBlackadder
If the first announcement is correct, the new upcoming German 3-disc deluxe edition will have English subtitles. It's scheduled for 02/20/04. only the bonus material discs 2 and 3 will have english subs. the movie itself will only have german subs. still though the english subtitled bonusmaterial should be enough of an indication of upcoming non-german releases with english dubbed audio tracks or english subtitles...

davros
12-11-03, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Giles
anyword if an independent US distributor might release this theatrically? as far as I know it played in NYC theatres....

Giles
12-11-03, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by davros
as far as I know it played in NYC theatres....

as a commercial release, or part of a film festival?

BabyBuddha
12-11-03, 03:43 PM
If it was in NYC, it must have been part of a festival. I was keeping my eyes open for it.

I don't think it had a general release.

CptBlackadder
12-11-03, 03:49 PM
The announcement is just a few days old, it may take a little time until amazon.de lists the DVD. However davros is correct, according to further information, only the two supplemental DVDs are getting English subtitles. Weird! But the specs may change, the best thing will be to wait for reviews.

Giles
12-13-03, 10:58 AM
I am answering my own inquiry here, but I was perusing my friend's Toronto Film Festival programme, and I noted that Sony Pictures Classics is releasing this film on February 27, 2004.

RichDB10
01-08-04, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by mdm67
CptBlackadder:

it looks promising, what is the best german e-tailer for DVD's? I just looked for it at Amazon.de but they haven't it, still.

<A HREF="http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mdm67">My Collection</A>

3 disc Edition now up for pre-order :-

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00018GWIU/dvdtalk/qid=1073586081/sr=2-2/ref=sr_aps_prod_2_1/028-8316529-0340546

According to the specs it DOES have english subs.

Moon33
01-08-04, 08:18 PM
http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=13603

indycohiba
01-13-04, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Moon33
http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=13603

Cool

FaustBos
01-14-04, 09:26 AM
just ordered mine, waiting for stock now. It am so happy this delightful film is out. It was playing at the Haugesund filmfest in Norway last year. I opted to see it in London a few weeks later.

Ted Todorov
01-14-04, 02:25 PM
I think you need to see the film before commenting, Pro-bassoonist. Once you see it, you will know why I said what I said. You don't go "awww shucks" at Mocha gold and Spreewaldgurken because of any other reason than nostalgia. I never tried them, mind you, since when I lived in the West it was called Bundesrepublik Deutschland.
I'm affraid that Grimfarrow is correct -- I was very disapointed by Good bye, Lenin! I was expecting an mix of biting satire and nostalgia, but the satire of things East was mostly missing. It's not terrible or anything, but to this former East European, a waste of time.

Ted

Gimbob
01-25-04, 11:46 PM
Korean dvd is released now on sale in US.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/16965.html

enoque
01-26-04, 01:57 AM
on imdb.com it says 'cut' next to South Korea. And the running time on that DVD is 118 mins and it's 121 on imdb.com... don't know how correct this info is but it's something to check out.

Merdalf
01-26-04, 02:08 AM
the running time of the PAL (!) german dvd is 117 minutes, so the ntsc running time should indeed be around 121 minutes.

Moon33
01-26-04, 02:15 AM
The Korean version is optical censor for the male private organ.

Grimfarrow
01-27-04, 10:40 PM
I am very happy that this overrated film is snubbed by the Oscars for Best Foreign Film.

DonnachaOne
01-27-04, 11:03 PM
Grim, it wasn't even released in the US in time for nomination, was it?

I imagine we'll see a nom next year...

Grimfarrow
01-28-04, 12:01 AM
It was submitted by Germany as contender for Best Foreign Film. It wasn't nominated. So no, it has no chance at the category next year.

DonnachaOne
01-28-04, 02:34 PM
Ah, but wasn't City Of God submitted for the 2003 oscars?

Grimfarrow
01-28-04, 07:22 PM
Did you notice that I said "it has no chance at THE CATEGORY next year? ;) In other words, the film's chance at Best Foreign Film category is done - same as City of God before it.

I seriously doubt Goodbye Lenin! is the type to cross over into other categories like City of God - at least City of God was hip and politically conscious, unlike the mopey sentimentalism of Goodbye Lenin! (City of God is a MUCH better movie).

Tafellappen
01-29-04, 12:12 PM
Can anyone confirm that the Korean DVD or the 3 disc edition has English subtitles?

RichDB10
01-29-04, 12:21 PM
This release will certainly have english subtitles come the release date in March.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=6605

FaustBos
01-30-04, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Sean Cullen
Can anyone confirm that the Korean DVD or the 3 disc edition has English subtitles?

Just got mine today, it has english subs.
German and Korean as well.

I haven't checked the features yet. They may not be subbed. Print looked ok, anamorphic. Not a bad purchase at all.

Jim

Tafellappen
02-10-04, 10:52 PM
Can anyone with the Korean DVD tell me whether or not it's Region 0 or Region 3?

Gimbob
02-10-04, 11:45 PM
dvd cover marked as Region-3 but it is actually R-All dvd.

BabyBuddha
02-11-04, 09:35 AM
Ok -- Now I'm getting a little nuts. I was JUST about to place my order with Amazon.de for the 3-Disc edition, but I came across this page:

<link>http://www.areadvd.de/dvd/2004/Good_Bye_Lenin_Deluxe_DVD.shtml</link>

which contains the following:

Good Bye, Lenin! DeluXe 3 Disc Edition

Veröffentlichung: 20.02.2004
Bildformat: 16:9 (1,85:1)
Ton: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital 2.0
Sprachen: Deutsch
<B>Untertitel: Englisch (Disc 2 und 3), Deutsch (Disc 1)</B>
Specials: Audiokommentar: Disc 1: W.Becker, D.Brühl, K.Sass, F.Lukas
Biographien: Disc 1
DVD ROM Featrues mit Web-Link: Disc 3
Dokumentationen:
Disc 1: Mini Making Of
Disc 2: Making of ü.d.Recherchearbeit, Making of der Musikaufnahmen, Making of ü.d. digitalen Effekte, Making of: Aktuelle Kamera Uncut
Disc 3: Klass. Making of "Making of Good Bye, Lenin!"
Filmografien: Disc 1
Fotogalerie: Disc 3: Viewmaster als animierte Bildstrecke
Kino-Trailer: Disc 1
Nicht verwendete Szenen: Disc 3: plus Kommentar
TV-Dokumentation: Disc 3: Spiegel TV "Herbstgeschichte '90"
Trailer: Disc 1: Teaser

Does this make sense? Would they really just subtitle the extras, and not the film itself? Does anybody know the real deal here? Thanks!

pro-bassoonist
02-11-04, 10:42 AM
From the Swiss:

specs (THERE ARE ENGLISH SUBS FOR THE MAIN FEATURE).

Lieferstatus:
Vorankündigung
Veröffentlichung:
ANGEKÜNDIGT (20.02.2004) - (Noch 9 Tage)
Aka:
79 qm DDR
Good bye, Lenin!
Jahr/Land:
2002 ( Deutschland )
Laufzeit:
117 min.
FSK/Rating:
Genre:
Komödie / Drama
Bildformat:
Widescreen ( INFO )
Sprachen:
Deutsch: Dolby Digital Surround ( INFO )
Deutsch: Dolby Digital 5.1 ( INFO )
Untertitel:
Deutsch, Englisch
Special Features: DVD 1:
- Audiokommentar: W.Becker, D.Brühl, K.Sass, F.Lukas
- Biographien
- Mini Making Of
- Filmografien
- Kino-Trailer
- Trailer & Teaser

DVD 2:
- Making of ü.d.Recherchearbeit
- Making of der Musikaufnahmen
- Making of ü.d. digitalen Effekte
- Making of: Aktuelle Kamera Uncut

DVD 3:
- Making of Good Bye, Lenin!
- Nicht verwendete Szenen plus Kommentar
- TV-Dokumentation: Spiegel TV "Herbstgeschichte '90"
- Fotogalerie: Viewmaster als animierte Bildstrecke
- DVD ROM Features mit Web-Link
Bewertung:
Keine Bewertung vor Veröffentlichung möglich.http://www.1a-dvdshop.ch/

BabyBuddha
02-11-04, 01:31 PM
Well - It's unlikely (right?) that there are separate German / Swiss releases.

If that's the case, somebody got it wrong. Virtually EVERY German site has the specs as I noted above. (I think I even saw those specs on the Warner Bros. .de site.)

What do you all think? I'd rather order from amazon.de as I have an account with them, and I've not had trouble before. Is there ANY way to find out the real deal, or will I just have to wait for some kind soul to post the info once the DVD is released?

Hendrik
02-11-04, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BabyBuddha
Well - It's unlikely (right?) that there are separate German / Swiss releases.
...indeed it is... the only 'point' of/for a 'Swiss' release would be if it would include a Schweizerdeutsch (Swiss German) dub - which ain't necessary - or if the disc included French and Italian subtitles and/or dubs (Switzerland being a country that has, not two, not three, but four 'official' languages, including Italian and French)...

. . . :o . . .

Tafellappen
02-11-04, 06:23 PM
Please tell me the Swiss version is dubbed in Rumantsch!

BelaFarinRod
02-14-04, 05:48 AM
In a german forum someone who was involved in the production of the exquisit edition wrote that the german movie (I don't know about the extras) will definitely not have english (or french) subs because the rights for the english version of the movie were sold to an english company.

BabyBuddha
02-17-04, 01:38 PM
AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

****ity **** ****!

The gods REALLY don't want me to see this film! Or, I'll have to spend money on the 3 disc-edition to get 2 discs of extra material (subbed in English) and then spend MORE money for an opitcally censored Korean version?

Tafellappen
02-17-04, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know if the commentary on the Korean disc is in English or subtitled?

mrwilson
02-17-04, 05:23 PM
There are two commentaries, both in German. No subs.

RichDB10
03-10-04, 04:31 PM
Not had chance to check out the full package yet but i can confirm there are NO ENGLISH subs for the main feature of the German 3 disc set....as mentioned earlier in the thread there are 2 'making of' documentaries which feature english subs.

haclong
03-11-04, 05:58 AM
Ok Grimfarrow
Now is an advice from European viewer :)
I'm from France and vietnam war means more to me than german history. That's sad to say, but that is.
In 1989, the Wall falls... Ok... So what... I was just plain young and stupid... I think i haven't even see one pic about this events... just heard it somehow... maybe at school.
But Good Bye Lenin, i think it's above all a very sad movie. Not even about Nostalgia. It's about lies, and more lies... and lies so big that you can't get through it in any possible way...
I haven't seen any nostalgia about the communist government. Just a son who try to save the life of her mother. Her sanity. And he's close to lose himself in the same time...
I think the movie is about love more than nostalgia. And for that, i think it is a real good movie. And a sight of a country that we don't even know, that we couldn't really picture in our mind...

That's all

haclong
03-11-04, 06:01 AM
As for the DVD, in France, we will have a release for April 22 2004 but no English dub or subtitle for now...

Azrael23
03-11-04, 02:45 PM
The UK version has english subs (for obvious reasons). See here

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=search&adudisc=y

and here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001K2KWU/qid=1079037938/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/202-3234378-9395027

jblackie
03-12-04, 03:41 PM
Okay. I'm in. Ordered this from Amazon (thanx, Azrael23) just now after viewing the trailer. Looks great. Can't wait.

WillyShatsWig
03-12-04, 06:27 PM
You can find our review of the UK R2 release here (http://www.dvddebate.com/article.php?sid=4055&mode=&order=0&thold=).

BuddhaWake
03-13-04, 07:44 PM
there seems to be a HK version.

Goodbye, Lenin (http://www.layoyo.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?style=1&prrfnbr=2994230&prmenbr=152&CGRY_NUM=251&LANGUAGE=1)

anyone knows anything about this one?