Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Hooking up a Digital Cable Terminal to 5.1 Sound Receiver.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Through my father's work he was able to get digital cable for virtually nothing, and so he recently subscribed. He has some Sony 5.1 receiver, I dont' know the exact model off hand. Anyways, there is apparently some way to get 5.1 sound on select shows, so I tried to hook it up to the receiver. The little schematics that came with the Cable Terminal are rather useless though, and I don't know very much about this.

Anyone have links to websites that might explain this to me?
Old 12-09-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First step is to know the brand and model number of the cable box, but pretty much you'll just connect the digital optical output from the cable box to an optical input on the Sony receiver.
Old 12-09-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, there are LOTS of optical inputs

I'll try and get ahold of the brand and model number later.

I basically just the rca audio wires from the box (out) into the dvd player (in) then into the reciever. The video cables I put from the box to the DVD player to the tv.

On this setup, the DVD plays surround still (though oddly, I don't think the subwoofer, or back surrounds work... but I think this is probably another problem alltogether.) The TV plays sound, and picture is good on the DVD and TV.

Is it possible I have to tell the TV to switch to the 5.1? I know the DVD player will use it automatically.
Old 12-09-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
What you will more than likely have to do (like on any HT piece of equipment) is go into the menu of the Digital cable box, and make sure the digital out is turned on. Then, plug in the digital cable (either coaxial or optical) into the receiver digital in (probably the one that says DBS or TV or SAT). Then switch the receiver to that input, and voila! Make sure you're running an S-Video cable from the Digital cable box to the TV.
Old 12-09-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually I figured out what I did wrong, instead of ending the link at the recevier, I had to feed back to the TV. I just removed that link and it worked.

I also fixed the back surrounds, for whatever reason, having the audio cables go into the "Video One" area instead of the "DVD/LD" made the difference.

Still can't get the sub to work in tests, but in real conditions I can hear it.
Old 12-10-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BizRodian
I basically just the rca audio wires from the box (out) into the dvd player (in) then into the reciever.
If you're using RCA audio cables out of the cable box, you aren't going to get Dolby Digital 5.1. You need to use either an optical or coaxial digital cable, and every digital cable box I have seen uses optical. If there is no digital audio output on your cable box, the best you'll get is Dolby Pro-Logic.

Is it possible I have to tell the TV to switch to the 5.1? I know the DVD player will use it automatically.
The TV has nothing to do with it. You need to worry about the cable box and the Sony surround sound receiver.

By the way, your DVD player also needs to be connected to the surround sound receiver with an optical or coaxial digital connection.

I'd also run the cable box connections straight to the receiver instead of going through the DVD player.