Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Average Joe 12/8

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Average Joe 12/8

Anybody watching this? What a joke. Maybe it was just a good job of editing out anything intelligent that Jason had to say, but man, if ever there was a stupid, lazy, unpersonable guy, it was him. I guess I'm not a girl (last time I checked anyways (= ), but what would you pick if you were: smart, funny, nice, rich.....or dumb, unpersonable, guy that lives with his parents? I guess this is what the show wanted to happen though.
Old 12-08-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since my only exposure to this show has been thanks to the relentless NBC promo department, I have no idea who Jason is. Is he the "stud"? Or the "average" joe [who just happens to be a millionaire....like most "average" people are...] ?
Old 12-08-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, Jason was brought in to undermine the whole "Average Joe" process by being one of the 3 hotties who entered the game when only 3 Averages Joes were left.

But it was obvious by Melana's body language that she was totally into Jason, while she was more in that "friend" zone with Adam.

And I can't believe NBC has "Average Joe II: Hawaii" on tap in one month from now.

Last edited by Patman; 12-08-03 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 10:02 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts
My wife is very upset now

My wife is very upset now. She said if she was not married to me she would have picked Adam in a heartbeat.
"Typical good looking woman - picks the good looking guy!!! Has she no brain???
Old 12-08-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's funny how this show started off strong, and quickly developed into rancid world.

Let's see...

The average joe turns out to be a average.

The girl actually finds herself torn for a guy who has absolutely no personality and gets by on flashing his smile.

The show resorts to endless slow motion, the rocky theme song for the underdog! and countless other captured shots that do not relate to the emotions going on.

The last hour brings the endless recaps.
Montages, testomonials, and repeated shots.

And of course her choice...

Hilarious.

I learned the NBC lesson of the day.
Shallow people only belong with other shallow people.

Wish there was another show that uses this same theme but actually has balls and no silly stupid twists.
Old 12-08-03, 10:06 PM

I guess that proves it, there's no hope for us "Average Joes".
Old 12-08-03, 10:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Geez, the chick in the next one seems like an outright bitch! And the "good-looking guys" seem like complete asses. I hate to admit, but both these factors should make the process interesting next time.

As for this finale... well, welcome to real life. I suppose it's better than the artificial happy ending to Joe Millionaire 2. But I bet Melana isn't going to like the negative backlash she gets from this. Wonder how long before she's in Playboy?
Old 12-08-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Not really surprised. She was into Jason right away. I laughed when she said he was the whole package though - well yeah, if you include the parents who he still lives with in that package.

I don't feel bad for Adam. I'm sure he will be swimming in tang for the near future, particularly since everyone knows he is well-to-do.

Heck, when you throw the money into the equation, Jason was more of an Average Joe than Adam anyway.
Old 12-08-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Average Joe II looks pretty interesting, although I don't think the chick is as hot as Malena, and I generally prefer brunettes.
Old 12-08-03, 10:10 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, I can't believe that ending. I didn't even think it was fair fight considering Adam is so succesful and Jason is still in school, lives with his parents, is obviously an idiot, and the fact that malena wouldn't want to look like a shallow bitch on national tv. Oh well, I was actually rooting for Jason since I've grown to dislike Malena so much and Adam deserves better, but it's still so shocking.

Hehe, this show pissed me off so much, but I know there's no way I'm missing the next one.
Old 12-08-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Sunday Morning

The show resorts to endless slow motion, the rocky theme song for the underdog! and countless other captured shots that do not relate to the emotions going on

The last hour brings the endless recaps.
Montages, testomonials, and repeated shots.

You must be a reality show rookie. Any time there is 2 hour finale to a reality show, count on all of the above.
Old 12-08-03, 10:15 PM
Suspended

Yeah, now that I think about it, it's probably better for Adam that she picked the punk. Malena's obviously shallow and only after good looks. I can't believe some of the conversations she had with Jason...if you can call them conversations. Adam would obviously be better off with somebody who liked him for his personality. I am kind of surprised that she didn't go for Adam for his $$$ though. She prolly figures Jason's parents are loaded anyways.
Old 12-08-03, 10:17 PM

Melana was set up to look bad no matter who she picked. It was a showdown between money or good looks, so she ends up looking shallow no matter what. I enjoyed this show, but I doubt I'll be watching Average Joe 2. Looks too similar to the first one.
Old 12-08-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by acmeee
Melana was set up to look bad no matter who she picked. It was a showdown between money or good looks, so she ends up looking shallow no matter what.

I tend to agree. She would have been blasted by Average Joes either way.
Old 12-08-03, 10:23 PM

edit - this is my mom's opinion, which she wanted proper credit for

I disagree that Malena is shallow. I think she chose Jason because she is caught up in that thing about molding a man into what she thinks he can be. Adam is already his own person, more of a finished product and that may be intimidating to her. She seems to really want a project more than a partner, hence that remark about "finding a diamond in the rough."
Old 12-08-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Melana did the best thing she could have in that spot. She simply didn't have the feelings for Adam that she had for Jason. It would have been the easy choice for her to pick Adam because he would be able to provide that "secure" lifestyle for her, but she wanted passion, and she was willing to try to build something together with Jason.

(Of course, the happy couple might already be broken up by now, and Melana's on to the next big thing).

I did laugh when Jason had set up the checkers on the wrong color though. What a dumbass.

I also LMMFAO when Adam's stuffed dog get singed.
Old 12-08-03, 10:38 PM

YES, I MEAN TO SHOUT!

WHAT THE HELL DID MYLANTA MEAN WHEN SHE SAID "HE INSPIRES ME!?!"

Inspired her to use the word "like" at least eight times in a sentence?!?!

MyAnus was dumb; the model was dumber. They're perfect for each other.
Old 12-08-03, 10:40 PM

Ugh. I can't believe I watched the whole thing. The editing kept leading us to believe she'd pick Adam, so I was afraid she would pick the doofus. What a waste of time this show was. AJ brings in three hunks, Survivor brings back the outcasts...what's the point?

I'd be mad at NBC for reinforcing stereotypes, except there's a reason why stereotypes exist. Adam will do better.
Old 12-08-03, 10:51 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are any of these people going to be on any talk shows?
Old 12-08-03, 11:04 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Adam was in Forbes.

Malena will be in Playboy by the end of the year.

... that's my two cents.
Old 12-08-03, 11:34 PM
Li

Originally posted by nny
Yeah, the two of them are supposed to be on Leno tomorrow night if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-08-03, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nny
today show tomarrow tuesday morning
Old 12-09-03, 12:54 AM

I can't believe I noticed this, but Jason has really bad skin
Old 12-09-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't feel too sorry for Adam. The dude is gonna get some MAD play after this show.
Old 12-09-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show was funny because it was so true.

Why did Adam like Melana? Because she was pretty and built.

Why did Melana get along with Adam? Because he was funny and made her feel comfortable.

Why did Jason like Melana? Because she was pretty and built.

Why did Melana get along with Jason? Because he was pretty and she felt "it" with him (yes, that thing we call chemical attraction at the most basic level).

Why did she choose Jason? Because when it comes right down to it, you go where the heat is when given a choice. And she was given a choice.

And speaking as a woman, and as one who has many women friends (who talk ) - after making her choice, which, let's face it, was based both on wanting to save/fix/improve a guy who's "almost" perfect (in her eyes, definitely not in mine) and on a strong attraction, she justified her choice by giving him attributes he does not have. Well, I suppose it is always possible he does have depth we were not shown, as the editing is utterly manipulative and biased. But anyway, all that tripe about how he inspires her and whatnot - justification at it's finest.

Do I have a problem with it? Not in the slightest. Because not only does Adam deserve a hell of a lot better than that kind of girl, but because Melana did what most people would do when in their 20's and being confronted with a choice between comfortable companionship and passion. She chose passion - and I think most people that age would. (huge generalization, but I think not unjustified)

Remember that she has always been good looking, and thus has likely always had what she wanted pretty much handed to her in one way or another. (horrible generalization, but often true that good looking women get advantages in life) Consequently, she isn't too concerned about money or security. Sounds like she's pretty immature when it comes to a career, life goals, relationships - same as Jason. They're on the same page. She might have a job, but I would be willing to bet she does not have a career in which she's invested. I mean please, she's ready to pick up and move wherever for whatever reason - that's not a person who has found where they want to be in life emotionally speaking. And with Adam, she would know exactly what she was getting - her new life wrapped up in a package - and she didn't want the package. What good is being wined and dined when you aren't attracted to the person across the table? If she were more mature (with age or wisdom or both) I would have said she might have realized that passion (and heat) grow as you get to know someone, then eventually the boil levels off into a simmer. But to get to that place, you need to invest yourself and not be making comparisons with other guys.

The process was set up to reward the guy with whom she had the most passion who didn't have the faults that she found the most damning. If they had chosen a more mature woman, the result would have been different.

But then again, I wonder if the guys would have been so upset to get cut if Melana hadn't been so pretty. They were 100% focused on her looks, and what that would mean to them (in light of past experiences in their lives). They then attributed all of these great qualities to Melana that I honestly think she does not have. Justification at it's finest, and human nature at it's most basic (and predictable).

But like I said, when it comes right down to it, who cares why she chose the way she chose - I think she deserves her choice, and I think Adam deserves better. And I think this thanks to the wonderful world of editing - because without the properly cued music and strategic cuts I wouldn't know how to feel. But seriously, even knowing that they shaped my view of each person into a "character" - I still think Adam is a great guy at heart who will be inundated with dates from now on.

And Johnny Storm will, um, not.

Man I must be bored - I said so much more than this show deserved.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 12-09-03 at 02:20 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.