Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Matrix Trilogy - huh?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I've read all the threads and I have a headache. I loved the first Matrix film. I thought Reloaded was good and was anxious to see the third film. I saw it. I didn't get it all.

So, I propose that someone here explain the entire trilogy to me. As if I was a small child. Please speak to me as though I'm stupid. Assume I know nothing. Thank you
Old 12-08-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.thematrix101.com

That place has pretty much everything you want to read about the trilogy. Including symbolism and interpretations and stuff.
Old 12-08-03, 08:17 PM
Banned

yup
Old 12-08-03, 09:01 PM

Thank you
Old 12-08-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matrixexplained.com is also a good read.
Old 12-09-03, 01:18 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great thread, I was the same way after seeing the 2nd and 3rd films, I came out more confused than ever.
Old 12-09-03, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu
http://www.thematrix101.com

That place has pretty much everything you want to read about the trilogy. Including symbolism and interpretations and stuff.
That site is complete Fanboy-ism.

They had nothing bad to say about Revolutions. That should tell you something.

I don't need someone to explain what happened in the movies, I need someone to explain why the following happened:

In the first movie, it was an all out war between man and machine, who were using "plugged in" humans for a source of fuel, and basically enslaving humanity, save for a few who managed to get out and struggle for the freedom of humans.

At the end of the third movie, after being taken for a ride that this "one" was making different choices and was more "human" than his predecessors, they simply "reboot" the matrix everything goes back to the way it was. Except this time, the machines won't try to kill the unplugged humans. So basically, the 10% percent of humans in Zion are cool, but everyone else is screwed. Essentially, everything is back to normal (pre first movie), but now, Morpheous is a useless character because there is no reason now to hack into the matrix and save people because humans basically sold out their brethren and are leaving them enslaved to protect their city.

-- Not good times.

Last edited by huh?; 12-09-03 at 02:58 AM.
Old 12-09-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Tells me that there are other people that appreciate the movie

But its a fan site, so what do you expect? Providing synopsis and information doesnt require movie bashing
Old 12-09-03, 05:09 AM
Banned

Their just trying to inform the uninformed...
Old 12-09-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not only is Zion saved, but those plugged into the Matrix now have a choice of staying plugged in (blue pill), or being allowed to go into the real world (red pill).

This was the fundamental difference between this go-around with "The One" and the previous 5 incarnations.
Old 12-09-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Not only is Zion saved, but those plugged into the Matrix now have a choice of staying plugged in (blue pill), or being allowed to go into the real world (red pill).

This was the fundamental difference between this go-around with "The One" and the previous 5 incarnations.
so they are going to approach everyone in the matrix and offer them a choice to stay or go? where did they mention that in revolutions?
Old 12-09-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not going to happen overnight, but change will come. The dialog between the Architect and the Oracle went over this crucial development.

As more and more people want out (and granted, not everyone is going to want out of the Matrix), these people will need the same treatment that Neo underwent for 6 months or so in "The Matrix" to get accustomed to real world living.
Old 12-09-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
It's not going to happen overnight, but change will come. The dialog between the Architect and the Oracle went over this crucial development.

All i remember the architecht saying was"those who want to be free will be free" but that doesn't explain anything. i mean, if you don't know you are enslaved in the matrix how will you want to be free from it? the whole first movie is rendered pointless if they plan on offering freedom to everyone who wants it. think about it. in the original movie, morpheous says that most older minds would not be able to be freed from the matrix, and that in fact, neo was too old. he also says that the matrix works because people don't know they are part of a controlled system. so if they don't know and are too old to be removed, once they are informed that they are slaves serving as batteries to the machines, you are telling me that the matrix would continue to exist as is? but wouldn't that defeat the whole premise of the first movie, IE- that the matrix exists and works as a control system because humans aren't aware of it. i mean, if the first movie didn't exist, reloaded and revoilutions would make a whole lot more sense.

Last edited by huh?; 12-09-03 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-09-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by huh?

At the end of the third movie, after being taken for a ride that this "one" was making different choices and was more "human" than his predecessors, they simply "reboot" the matrix everything goes back to the way it was. Except this time, the machines won't try to kill the unplugged humans. So basically, the 10% percent of humans in Zion are cool, but everyone else is screwed. Essentially, everything is back to normal (pre first movie), but now, Morpheous is a useless character because there is no reason now to hack into the matrix and save people because humans basically sold out their brethren and are leaving them enslaved to protect their city.

-- Not good times.
Wrong, everything is not back to the way it was. The humans and machines are at peace, and humans that can handle being freed will be freed. Like you said, those who are too old and can't handle it are left in the Matrix. And as evidenced by characters like Neo and The Kid, there are those in the Matrix who feel there is something wrong in that world.

There's no reason to hack into the Matrix because the machines will free humans williningly. I don't see how Morpheus is all of a sudden a useless character, he already played his role.

The Matrix continues to exist, but i don't see how that defeats the whole purpose of the first film. That website posted gives some good explanations. If they destroyed the Matrix, then billions of people would be in shock when waking up in the real world.
Old 12-09-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
The humans and machines are at peace...

those who are too old and can't handle it are left in the Matrix...

The Matrix continues to exist,

so there is peace between humans and machines, except for the fact that 90% of them are ensalved and used as a source of energy for the machines... in the first movie they say that the matrix exists to control and enslave humanity. they fight a war to free humans, but at the end of the third movie, the matrix still exists. so the 10% of humans who sense something is wrong will be freed, and the others will remain useless, mindless, helpless, and enslaved. riiiiiiight....
Old 12-09-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like both me and Patman have already said, its inconcievable to release billions of humans from The Matrix at once. There aren't enough people in the real world to be able to treat the shock and trauma of those released. The Matrix exists in the end because it needs to. But since you haven't understood that part yet, i guess trying to explain it furthur won't help.

Furthurmore, it's reasonable to assume that new humans will no longer be born to the Matrix. Quite a lot as changed from the start of the first film... that much is obvious.
Old 12-09-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Matrix exists in the end because it needs to. But since you haven't understood that part yet, i guess trying to explain it furthur won't help.

Furthurmore, it's reasonable to assume that new humans will no longer be born to the Matrix. Quite a lot as changed from the start of the first film... that much is obvious.
all i'm saying that in the first movie they tell you what and why the matrix exists. at the end of the third movie it still exists. you say the matrix NEEDS to exist. and the need for it to exist is so that machines can continue to have their source of energy. (ie- human enslavement).

the only thing that has changed is that the people of Zion are free to continue living without the threat of machines killing them. and instead of having people like morpheous jack into the matrix and free people who don't know they are enslaved, they will be allowed to leave and join the free people of zion. but 90% of the humans are still screwed.

what am i not getting?

i don't remember any of this oracle-architect dialogue shedding light on a plan for the future, which might be why i'm not getting this ending, is the actual text of the dialogue online somewhere?
Old 12-09-03, 01:03 PM

If you read the website that you are bashing, particularly in the Revolutions section, it explains what you don't seem to comprehend. I read it last night and the ending made a lot more sense to me, so thank you to whoever posted the link.
Old 12-09-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by metaridley
If you read the website that you are bashing, particularly in the Revolutions section, it explains what you don't seem to comprehend. I read it last night and the ending made a lot more sense to me, so thank you to whoever posted the link.
check out the after my post, i wasn't bashing.
Old 12-09-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by huh?
all i'm saying that in the first movie they tell you what and why the matrix exists. at the end of the third movie it still exists. you say the matrix NEEDS to exist. and the need for it to exist is so that machines can continue to have their source of energy. (ie- human enslavement).

the only thing that has changed is that the people of Zion are free to continue living without the threat of machines killing them. and instead of having people like morpheous jack into the matrix and free people who don't know they are enslaved, they will be allowed to leave and join the free people of zion. but 90% of the humans are still screwed.

what am i not getting?

i don't remember any of this oracle-architect dialogue shedding light on a plan for the future, which might be why i'm not getting this ending, is the actual text of the dialogue online somewhere?
From your previous posts, it sounded like you felt that the plot of the 3 movies led to no where and back to square one. I'm having trouble seeing what you're trying to argue here... basically, you're just mad that at the end of the 3rd movie there are still a millions of people are screwed because they're still stuck in the Matrix, right?

Like we said before, the point is they can't go through unplugging everyone because it would be too traumatic. Many would prefer to live a dream then to wake up to find a rundown world with no sunlight. Even Cypher wanted to go back to the Matrix in the first film after seeing the real world. It's a case of... what they don't know won't hurt them. Heck, they don't even know they're getting sucked for power either. Personally, i think this is a bigger reason that the Matrix continues then the machines needing a source of power. There are other sources of power, it's just that humans became the most efficient.

As for the ending... i don't believe there was anymore discussing the future then saying "all who want to be freed, will be" or something. So what will happen is up for interpretation... but regardless, it's clear that things have changed for the better and the matrix exists for a good reason.
Old 12-09-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From your previous posts, it sounded like you felt that the plot of the 3 movies led to no where and back to square one. I'm having trouble seeing what you're trying to argue here... basically, you're just mad that at the end of the 3rd movie there are still a millions of people are screwed because they're still stuck in the Matrix, right?

Like we said before, the point is they can't go through unplugging everyone because it would be too traumatic. Many would prefer to live a dream then to wake up to find a rundown world with no sunlight. Even Cypher wanted to go back to the Matrix in the first film after seeing the real world. It's a case of... what they don't know won't hurt them. Heck, they don't even know they're getting sucked for power either. Personally, i think this is a bigger reason that the Matrix continues then the machines needing a source of power. There are other sources of power, it's just that humans became the most efficient.

As for the ending... i don't believe there was anymore discussing the future then saying "all who want to be freed, will be" or something. So what will happen is up for interpretation... but regardless, it's clear that things have changed for the better and the matrix exists for a good reason.
i guess the ignorance is bliss thing makes some sense. i'm not mad about the ending, i just think it somewhat trivializes the first film a bit, because the majority of that film was rooted in the fact that humans were enslaved, and that neo was brought out of the matrix to free all humans. i feel a bit confused as to why the free humans are cool with the continued existance of the matrix, thats all. not really trying to argue with anyone. just discussing.
Old 12-09-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I can't believe it took me so long to come up with this connnection but: In the first Matrix when Neo is running from Smith, and he runs into the room with the old lady, who turns into Smith, the Prisoner is on the Television. The Prisoner was no. 6. Neo is also number 6.

Weird.
Old 12-09-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, what you don't understand is that what Morpheus thought he wanted wasn't what NEEDED to happen because as explained in "Reloaded", the humans and machines have a symbiotic relationship (Neo and Counsellor Hamman's talk), you can't just have the humans take down the machines (as envisioned by Morpheus) because that's a wider road to madness for humankind, who are still dependent on machines too for their existence.

There is a paradigm shift from what Morpheus thought was victory (a la the human prevailing over the machines), to a peace between humans and machines, which was brought about by Neo's sacrifice to go back into the Matrix and fix things so that both humans and machines would co-exist in an atmosphere of mutual respect, rather than in a master/slave relationship.

So, please, get Morpheus's notion of victory out of your head, and understand why the story ended in the only way that was mutally beneficial for both sides.
Old 12-09-03, 03:06 PM

People will have all but forgotten about these movies in 10 years. If Reloaded and Revolutions had been better there might have been a chance for longevity, but forget it now. In the future, these movies will have about as much staying power as an episode of Babylon 5.

I love it when The Matrix fans try desperately to convince everybody else about the DEEP meaning behind the series of films, like none of us could understand what was going on until it was explained to us by them. And somehow, then we would discover in some brilliant epiphany how cool these movies really were. Yeah right.

Maybe they need a reality pill.

Last edited by rushmore223; 12-09-03 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by rushmore223
People will have all but forgotten about these movies in 10 years. If Reloaded and Revolutions had been better there might have been a chance for longevity, but forget it now. In the future, these movies will have about as much staying power as an episode of Babylon 5
i disagree, i think they have their place.

Patman-- I think you are right, I am putting too much emphasis into Morph.'s version of victory.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.