Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What does and doesn't belong on network/cable TV?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-08-03, 06:00 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious as to what others think does and does not belong on network or cable television. I mean swearing, violence, "adult" situations, nudity, etc.

One thing that personally drives me nuts is that (especially on network TV) they can kill people, show dead bodies (CSI especially), and show women getting slapped around, but they can't say certain words. I'm sure there is a list somewhere, but I know **** can't be said, I think shit is in there as well. I don't really have a problem with the violence that is shown, just that they can show that but not swear.

Are they more worried about kids hearing "bad" words and repeating them, or about kids seeing somebody shot and repeating it? I know it's a lot deeper than that, it must be or it wouldn't make any sense at all to have it how it is.

Could somebody explain this for me? And what do you think of what is allowed on TV?
Old 12-08-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
many but not all of George carlins seven dirty words can now be said on tv
c***
f***
c*ck sucker
mother f***er
still cant be said on tv
piss
shit
twat
can be said at certian times on certian channels.
Old 12-08-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
What doesn't belong on network/cable tv are sitcoms.I think they have no originality and the well as run dry on this type of entertainment.
Old 12-08-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything should be shown, but at the proper times.

I find it so funny how they'll talk about sex so graphically on certian shows, but show a nipple and there'd be an uproar.

Same with something like the edited for language Pulp Fiction. YOU ARE WATCHING AN ADULT MOVIE ABOUT TERRIBLE THINGS, IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE F-WORD, YOU ARE NUTS.
Old 12-09-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The Goodfellas argument. Killing everyone is oksy, repeatedly shooting, stabbing a guy in the trunk is okay, but do you have to use the f-word so much? What is wrong with this country when language and nudity (not sex mind you, just nudity) is horrible, but death and violence is okay.
Old 12-09-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Jacqueline Obradors naked on NYPD Blue belongs on television. Dennis Franz naked on NYPD Blue does not.
Old 12-09-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find it sad that you can kill people brutally on TV, but you can't show someone's bare ass. Goddess forbid a nipple or some pubes show. That's detrimental to the chilllldrrruunnnnnnnn.
Old 12-09-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
I find it sad that you can kill people brutally on TV, but you can't show someone's bare ass. Goddess forbid a nipple or some pubes show. That's detrimental to the chilllldrrruunnnnnnnn.
Actually, you CAN'T kill people brutally on TV.

I've always thought that it has it's basis in the Puritan heritage of this country, but also that saying a word is more "real" than an actor with some blood squibs going off.

For example, let's say your kid says "Daddy, is that man dead?" You can say "No Little Billy, it's just make believe."

But then Little Billy asks "What does 'shit on her forehead' mean?"

That's a whole different conversation.