Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

General Buffy S6 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
General Buffy S6 question

I've been catching up with Buffy on F/X having never seen an episode before starting several months back. I've read general thoughts, etc.. where most folks deem season 5 as the last really strong season. For me,
Spoiler:
I didn't get into that whole 'Glory' arc
but I'm really enjoying season 6, having seen them up thru 'Tabula Rosa'.

So far, I'd rank it right up there on par with Season 3, trailing Season 2, when ranking the series. Does S6 fall drastically off a cliff? Staying spoiler-free would be nice

Last edited by djbrown; 12-08-03 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly think so. After 'Tabula Rosa', I don't think there's much of anything of note (in a positive way) until maybe 'Seeing Red' ... or 'Normal Again'.

das
Old 12-08-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Personally, I loved the Glory arc
and I always hoped she would show up again....
Old 12-08-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Personally, I loved the Glory arc
That was season five.
Old 12-08-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Adam Tyner
That was season five.
Yep, just referencing the original post comment "where most folks deem season 5 as the last really strong season"

I'll append it with: Season 6 starts weak, but has a number of fine eps. But then again, I'm a fan.
Old 12-08-03, 03:07 PM

Yeah, it falls off. I still think it's good, but right after "Tabula Rasa," I would agree, is where it starts falling. I don't think it's as bad as some people say here, but it's not as good as the previous seasons.
Old 12-08-03, 03:34 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I don't think the quality drops. I'd say it gets better and better. Season 6 was the best season of Buffy.

FWIW, I didn't like seasons 2 and 3 very much at all.
Old 12-08-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The season peaked with "Once More With Feeling" and "Tabula Rasa" before going into the tank. It did recover somewhat with the last 4 episodes, but by then it was too little, too late.

Season 7....don't even get me started on that disaster.
Old 12-08-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I kind of liked the last arc of season 6, what with the whole
Spoiler:
Darth Willow
thing. It kind of came suddenly and it was rather fun and intense while it lasted. I don't really understand while it's so revilled.

Season 7 started off strong, with a lot of potential. But by the 7th or 8th episode it just took a nose-dive that it never recovered from.
Old 12-08-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

while both season 6 and 7 may be disappointing overall, they both have good episodes that make them worthwhile
Old 12-08-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After Season 6 I stopped watching Buffy.

In all honesty, even the parts people consider to be exceptions to an otherwise bad season, I probably hated too. I just thought it was a bad year all around, even if the musical was very well done and enjoyable.

Last edited by BizRodian; 12-09-03 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-08-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
I kind of liked the last arc of season 6, what with the whole
Spoiler:
Darth Willow
thing. It kind of came suddenly and it was rather fun and intense while it lasted. I don't really understand while it's so revilled.
Those four episodes aren't reviled, its the majority of the 18 that came before it that leave people with the funny taste in their mouth.
Old 12-08-03, 10:12 PM

Those four episodes aren't reviled, its the majority of the 18 that came before it that leave people with the funny taste in their mouth.
Yup.

The main "villains" of most of that season were beyond bad.
Old 12-08-03, 10:27 PM
Zee

I actually enjoyed most of Season Six very much. Andrew ended up being one of my all-time favorite characters in the Buffyverse, and unlike most of the friends that I have who watched Buffy, I loved
Spoiler:
the Buffy/Spike dynamic. As a woman, I often find myself attracted to the "bad boy"...and logically, I think Buffy's choices regarding Spike made a lot of sense. She says in "Once More With Feeling" that she "just wants to feel," and thus, she chooses to have (rather violent) sex. Her situation is similar to one depicted in High Fidelity, if I recall correctly, but won't go into that as to avoid spoilers...also, the

MAJOR PLOT SPOILER

attempted rape was one of the most emotional moments I think I've ever seen on the show. It worked well, in my eyes.

I think Once More With Feeling, Tabula Rasa, Normal Again, and Seeing Red through Grave are all top-notch Buffy episodes...and that's right on par with the seven or eight episodes from Season Five that I feel are truly Buffy's best effort (No Place Like Home, Fool For Love, Checkpoint, Blood Ties, The Body, The Gift, etc). And though the Trio may not have been up to the villainous standards of the Mayor or even Glory,
Spoiler:
the flaying of Warren has got to be one of the single most evil acts ever performed on the show...plus, we get a P.O.-ed, magicked-up Giles and a powerful speech from Xander, all in the last few episodes. One of the show's greatest arcs.
Season Six really just took us to a different place in the Buffyverse, that's all.
Old 12-09-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 356 Likes on 230 Posts
I thought season 6 fell off after tabula rasa and never really picked up. I noticed that when I introduced my sister to this show, we had marathons every week till halfway through season six. Then the fun went away, and so did our desire to get together and watch Buffy (even though we still have the end of 6 and 7 to go).

Some episodes from season 6 are priceless though, my favorite being Life Serial.

tasha