Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

saw Return of the king yesterday (no spoilers)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-08-03, 10:23 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sat next to sean lennon. It had to be him. It looked to much like him not to be him. He looks so much like john its amazing. Wierd al was there as well. he didn't look like happy wierd al. he looked like middle aged, huge bags under his eyes, wierd al. but im sure it was him. He sat 2 rows in front of me and sean. I turned to sean and said "hey is that wierd al!" and he turns to me and says "hes a genius!"

and then the movie began....

folks, im not kidding you here. Return of the king is the most amazing, dazzling, beautiful, heart aching, scary movie ever made. it is essental a 2 1/2 hour action film. It begins with a flashback to smegol (very cool flashback i must say. Smegol's newly rotting theeth biting into a fresh catfish is something I won't soon forget)

the first 45 minutes to an hour of the pictre is really good. some what slow and rather confusing imo, but still a worthy chapter to the other two movies. (I heard a man leaving the theater and saying "the first hour was boring, but the last 2 were great!)

Then we come to a place called Miras Tirith.

Nothing you have ever seen in your life will prepare you for this nearly non stop over 2 hour battle sequence. this battle makes helm deep look like a poor episode of power rangers.

You think you have seen everything and then something new comes. New bad guys, more characters, more fire, more elephant creatures, more everything. Unbelievable.

This is not a movie you watch. its one you experience. There were so many helicopter shots, zipping over, around under through and all the over the place I felt like I was on a roller coaster. Never before has an action movie gave me that feeling of dread and that rush that a roller coaster provides. The film is unspeakable. Nothing I will say can even compare to what you will see and feel come the 17.

rated pg13 for violence.... uhhh violence? Yea that might have worked for the first movie, but not this. This film is very, very violent, tinkering very closly to an R. People get trampled, cut, dashed, bashed and mashed. Minimal blood, but far far far far far more violent then the first two movies. (god how I loved the head catapult scene...)

and scary images? uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh There were two sequences in this movie that will freak you out like you have never been freaked out before. as an avid hater of all things archanid, I must say Shelob's sequence scared the hell out of me.

the film wraps up beautifully. we get about 20 minutes of ending, showing what happened to some of the characters. It goes on long, but its necessary. It seemed more like scenes from the extended cut, but i'm glad it was all on here. YOU WILL BE IN TEARS BY THE END.

The cast is all excellent as usually. Aragorn isnt in this one as much as two towers. Legolis and Gimli are barely in it at all, though legolis does have a scene stealing moment. Gandolf is in it a lot, as is frodo and sam. Gollum is in it a bit as well. His effects look even better than two towers. when you see him dirty you will be amazed. but the big character here is sam. sean austin deserves an oscar nod big time. You will come to love Sam by the end, I gurantee it. Merry and pippen are in it as much as the other films, yet they didn't bother me as much in this one.

If you took the fellowship of the ring and the two towers and put them together and squared them, you would barely get a morcal of what ROTK is. Do not expect to see FOTR or TTT when you see ROTK. Cause your gonna get something totally different than what you can imagine.

the film runs 3 hours and 20 minutes, give or take a few minutes. I URGE you to sit through the beautiful credits. Sit there, listen to the music and soak in what you just saw. The credits are beautifully animated for the first few minutes. once it begins the traditional scrolling credits, then you can leave and urinate.

You will not see a more powerful, more astonishing movie in the history of cinema. Mark my words, this ones a keeper
Old 12-08-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have wood.
Old 12-08-03, 10:37 AM

Saw it Saturday and it was great. Going to see it again tonight.
Old 12-08-03, 10:44 AM

you sat next to Sean Lennon..........i hate you
Old 12-08-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure seeing the movie early makes the popcorn taste bad
Old 12-08-03, 11:13 AM

It's called Minas Tirith.
Old 12-08-03, 11:18 AM

I got lucky and won a drawing to see it on the 10th. I can't wait!
Old 12-08-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lucky bastard, Justin!

... sitting so close to Sean Lennon.
Old 12-08-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

a 2 hour battle sequence???
and doesn't this belong in the lotr trilogy forum?
Old 12-08-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally posted by DeputyDave
I'm sure seeing the movie early makes the popcorn taste bad
Am I picking up a Willy Wonka reference here????

That's what I love about his place. You start with Return of the King and end up with some vague Willy Wonka references. Its sort of like an old-style Dennis Miller routine.
Old 12-08-03, 12:41 PM

Wait, who IS Sean Lennon? Oh, and I am now officially wet. I want this movie so bad!
Old 12-08-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Poor grammar aside, that's a very good review. You say the beginning is confusing. Have you read the book? (I'm assuming no).

And I really doubt I'm going to have a problem with the slow start and drawn out ending. You need the build up, and you REALLY need the long cool down. Afterall, this is three movies they have to bring to a close. A 5 minute denouement just wouldn't cut it.
Old 12-08-03, 12:57 PM
Banned

bonerific!
Old 12-08-03, 02:53 PM

I saw both the FOTR and TTT Extended Editions this weekend. Can not WAIT for ROTK.
Old 12-08-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
you definitely suck.

Old 12-09-03, 11:53 AM

ROTK gets better the more I see it. Saw it for the second time last night and movies just don't get any better then this.
Old 12-09-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Justinsane.... where do you live that you get to see it before it came out?
Old 12-09-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm confused --- is it 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 hours?
Old 12-09-03, 02:51 PM

ROTK is three hours and eleven minutes, plus credits.
Old 12-09-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

3 h 11 min, THEN credits? Sweet.
Old 12-09-03, 11:55 PM

Hey raven,

I get to go to the Oscar for your consideration screenings at the moment. Since they won't send screeners, taking as much advantage of the free movies as I can. :-)
Old 12-11-03, 08:06 AM

Re: saw Return of the king yesterday (no spoilers)

Just saw it last night 12/10

I am stunned. To give you a one sentence history, I have read the books, seen the previous theatrical versions and own the EE's on dvd. I don't model my life after the books or movies, but I am a fan.

This movie was unbelievable. I don't know how to put it into words. Jackson took everything he did in the first two (great battle scenes, incredible scenery shots, grotesque monsters, sad emotional moments) and multiplied them to the fourth power. I'm not kidding, the battles are bigger, the scenery is better, the heroes are more heroic, the monsters are more disgusting and on and on.

The one thing that stands above anything else in this film is THE battle sequence:

Originally posted by whynotsmile
Nothing you have ever seen in your life will prepare you for this nearly non stop over 2 hour battle sequence. this battle makes helm deep look like a poor episode of power rangers.
See it. Just go see it.
Old 12-11-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

question on the battle sequences, does it stop in the middle to go to another story line ala ttt?? so its
first hour story
second and third hour battle
end of the movie, wrap up each story line.
Old 12-11-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't wait for this..... 6 days and counting til I can see it!!!
Old 12-12-03, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
question on the battle sequences, does it stop in the middle to go to another story line ala ttt??
Correct. If they would have done this as one sequence my brain would have exploded.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.