Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Watched FOTR:EE at the theater

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw FOTR:EE today as well:

I also counted 10 times the MPAA dots appearing in the Galadriel/Lothlorian forest reel. I made sure I kept count of them, which of course, isn't all that great for keeping one's self immersed in the film, but hey, they put the dots in, so their presence pulls me out of the film for that reel.

At over 3.5 hours, this was one long ol' movie, and I kept thinking it should have been cut into 2 because it's almost too much to sit through in one theatrical sitting. I had enough time to woof down a tub of popcorn, which did make me a little sleepy during the big troll scene in the mines of Moria sequence, and the father sitting 2 seats over was snoring at some of the parts because it was just too much for him.

I did find a strong touching moment between Aragorn and Baromir after Baromir gets skewered by 3 arrows.

Overall, I think I liked the EE version a little more than the original version, but who's got the time to re-watch such a long film all that many times?

I will make an effort to see TTT:EE next week in anticipation of ROTK. But, granted, I'm not all that big of a rabid LOTR fan, and I find that there's simply too many characters to get really caught up in their plights, but I did enjoy watching good movie-making.
Old 12-06-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Watched FOTR:EE at the theater

Originally posted by Patman

Overall, I think I liked the EE version a little more than the original version, but who's got the time to re-watch such a long film all that many times?
I've watched the FOTR:EE about 10 times. The EEs are the only ones I watch.
Old 12-07-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have watched most of it again, tonight in my 'private' theater.

It's still great. As a stand-alone film I still prefer it to TTT (although the middle film has its own excellent strengths), even the extended cut which is a bigger improvement than the FOTR extended cut is over the original.

What I love about FOTR is the emotionality; the sense of getting to know the characters. I also am a sucker for 'road' movies and FOTR is a road film par excellence. All the many varied places the fellowship goes through; and what a wistful thing to see an unspoiled Frodo and Sam, a mysterious Strider, a heroic Boromir, a grandfatherly Gandalf.

You really do get the sense of a long journey, looking back. I highly recommend people check this movie out again, preferably theatrical if possible, before seeing ROTK. Next week I am seeing TTT extended in the theater, and what a great lead-in to ROTK that will be! TTT has sights that are only fully justified by being several stories tall!

What I am most psyched about in regard to ROTK is the likelihood that it combines the best qualities of the first two films while intensifying everything.

Y'all who are doing the marathon--you will be emotional (and possibly physical) wrecks by the end of hour 11!
Old 12-07-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jepthah
Y'all who are doing the marathon--you will be emotional (and possibly physical) wrecks by the end of hour 11!
Who says we aren't already?
Old 12-07-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How crowded were the theaters?
Old 12-07-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was about 2/3 full at the 3:45 afternoon showing when I went on Saturday.

A lot of people applauded at the end of the film.

I still can't imagine sitting on my butt for over 11 hours in a trilogy marathon like some people are going to be doing the week after next.
Old 12-08-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you think the movie should have been cut in two, then buy the DVD, because it is. I own the EE of both TTT and FOTR and my wife and i watch once disk at a time all the time. we have seen each EE about 10 times now. we are, however, planning on going to see both in the theatres.
Old 12-08-03, 07:11 AM

I saw it last night as well because I didn't see the first one in the theatre. We went about 8:30 and there were only around 15 people.

I also prefer this one to Two Towers(only slightly) because it just seems to flow better. I haven't decided if I'm going to see TT next week or not.
Old 12-08-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hopefully some of you who are going get dinner and lunch breaks to eat normal food.
Old 12-08-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well i got the tickets for the trilogy and i am psyched.
Old 12-08-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
hopefully some of you who are going get dinner and lunch breaks to eat normal food.
Don't I wish. I was told that my theatre wouldn't allow any outside food for the Trilogy showing, so it looks like I'll be feasting on hot dogs and mini-pizzas for a meal.
Old 12-08-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Don't I wish. I was told that my theatre wouldn't allow any outside food for the Trilogy showing, so it looks like I'll be feasting on hot dogs and mini-pizzas for a meal.
boy i feel for ya, there are plenty of good resturants right by the theater. plus between ttt and rotk, our theater has a 1 hour and 40 minute dinner break.
Old 12-08-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what's this about MPAA dots?
Old 12-08-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Were the MPAA dots in the entire print? I honestly did not see them until the Fellowship reached Lothlorien. Once they left Lorien... i didnt notice them again.
Old 12-08-03, 02:59 PM

I didn't think it was too long at all. I saw it on Friday night and thought the time flew by.

What are the MPAA dots?
Old 12-08-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS, I have refrained from watching any of the movies until all 3 EE are available.
Old 12-08-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by neiname
PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS, I have refrained from watching any of the movies until all 3 EE are available.
Then what are you doing in this thread then?
Old 12-08-03, 04:14 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Why would someone pirate a movie that's been on DVD for a year?
Old 12-08-03, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by neiname
Holy crap, now that takes some dedication.

I'll be there opening day, twice, just like the past two releases. I couldn't even imagine NOT seeing these movies after having seen them.
Old 12-08-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lara Means
Were the MPAA dots in the entire print? I honestly did not see them until the Fellowship reached Lothlorien. Once they left Lorien... i didnt notice them again.
That's odd. Same deal.

I have to wonder if it was only in those scenes because the contrast was much higher, or just because those really were the only scenes with the tracking dots.
Old 12-08-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to see LOTR:EE in the theatre before the week is out.

I need a stressless 3.5 hours in a theatre.
Old 12-09-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The MPAA dots were only in 1 reel, and it makes sense that they only did it in one reel (for economy's sake). The reel they choose did have good white/light contrast so the dots would be easier to locate/read when trying to find the source print (and theater) where a bootleg came from.
Old 12-09-03, 03:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Yeah, but what would be the point of bootlegging a film that has been on DVD a year? I understand ROTK, but FOTR?
Old 12-09-03, 05:54 PM

OMIGOD I hate those FREAKING DOTS! Is it just me or does anyone else find them irritating!!!
Old 12-09-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by caligulathegod
Yeah, but what would be the point of bootlegging a film that has been on DVD a year? I understand ROTK, but FOTR?
Exactly what I was thinking each time I saw the dots.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.