Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD shipping backorders & everything faster than expected?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DDD shipping backorders & everything faster than expected?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revised: DDD "NOT" shipping backorders & everything faster than expected!

Note: Please don't take this post as definitive; I'm just sharing my situation.

I placed my order on Dec 2.

9 orders were "in process" to be shipped Dec 7.
15 orders were "backordered" to be shipped Dec 14.

Yesterday (Dec 5) I checked my online banking details to see any credit/debit activity and I notice DDD has charged me for the entire amount of my order.

DDD is not supposed to charge me until the items ship. They're certainly not supposed to charge for backordered items.

I phoned DDD today (Dec 6) to inquire and was told I was charged for the entire order amount because the whole order (including backorders) is ready to ship this Tuesday (Dec 9) or Wednesday (Dec 10). They said all the titles came in faster than expected.

FYI, the online DDD details still show the old ship dates. Even though 9 "in process" titles "would" have shipped two days earlier (had the original ship date been maintained), I suppose this is somewhat better news considering all titles will be shipped priority mail instead of standard.

Here's a breakdown of the DVDs that were "in process" and "backordered" that some of you may measure against, assuming you ordered any similar titles:

In Process (previously supposed to ship Dec 7)
Citizen X
Dogfight
North By Northwest
On The Waterfront
Rear Window
Remains Of The Day (Se)
Single White Female
Waking The Dead
Wings Of The Dove

Backordered (previously supposed to ship Dec 14)
All About Eve
Event Horizon
Frankie & Johnny
Last Picture Show
Lawrence Of Arabia (Superbit)(2D)
Lord Of The Rings-Two Towers (Psse)
Mickey Blue Eyes
Night Of The Living Dead Millennium Edition
Straw Dogs (Criterion)
Summer Of Sam
The Cider House Rules
The Rock (Criterion)
The Spitfire Grill
West Side Story Collectors Set
Wrong Men & Notorious Women-5 Hitchcock Criterion Collection

Last edited by cupon; 12-08-03 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
WAY wrong forum.
Old 12-06-03, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
WAY wrong forum.
Did you report it to a moderator?
Old 12-06-03, 02:55 PM

How long does it typically take for back-ordered items to ship?
Old 12-06-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ingenue007
How long does it typically take for back-ordered items to ship?
In my experience, in stock orders tend to ship on the date specified when you check the order status online. Backorders have not been exact for me. I've experienced a backorder taking two weeks after the scheduled ship date to be sent out.

Overall, DDD's shipping history has been respectable.

I merely posted this message to notify other users that their backorders may be sent faster than usual, while their online order status may not reflect it. If anyone sees charges from DDD on the banking info that appear to be taking place earlier than expected, this may be a possible explanation.
Old 12-06-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Ephemeral_Life
Did you report it to a moderator?
No, but I'm considering telling his mommy.
Old 12-06-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know, in my opinion, things are slower, since I placed my order on December 3 with expedited shipping and the order hasn't shipped yet.
Old 12-06-03, 04:19 PM

I have a pending charge on my card also, but that's irrelevant to the order being shipped — every merchant does that.

MISS PEACH
Old 12-06-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
It's shipping faster than the website lists. If you call over the phone they have more up-to-the-minute information.
Old 12-06-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I placed two orders with them, one on 11/26 and one on 12/1. All the items were listed as in-stock. Both orders are still "In Process", according to their site.

Rob
Old 12-06-03, 05:22 PM
Cool New Member

DDD Shipping

I placed my order of about 15 DVDs on black Friday, and nothing has shipped yet. Some items were in stock when I ordered, a few items were not. I thought DDD ships in stock items within 48 hours? Some of my items said shipping on 12-1 and in process, but I have not received a email from them saying they were shipped. My backordered items say shipping 12-8. I think DDD is way behind due to the 20% off deal. I have seen most of the DVDs I ordered, so as long as I get them and they aren't damaged, I'll be happy. It just is a little disappointing that they are this far behind in shipping in stock items. Maybe because of the 20% deal they are trying to save money by shipping in 2 or less shipments. It took about a week for my Ric Flair dvd to get here after they emailed me that it shipped, usually it takes about 3 business days. Oh well.

Last edited by shaqtigerfan; 12-06-03 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got 6 of 7 titles I order on 2 seperate orders today 12/6. They were shipped on 12/1. The other title was shipped on 12/3.

I had another order that was placed before the coupon that shipped on 11/26 that has NOT shown up yet.....I wonder where that is?
Old 12-06-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RobCA
I placed two orders with them, one on 11/26 and one on 12/1. All the items were listed as in-stock. Both orders are still "In Process", according to their site.

Rob
I'm in the same boat. I'll suck it up for the 20% discount on some borderline titles that I wanted this time, but this is why I never order from here unless I have to. I'll pay a few bucks more and have DVDEmpire ship it out the same day.
Old 12-06-03, 08:06 PM

I received an email telling me my order has shipped in full. however my credit card has not been charged, and their online system says 2 items will ship monday, and the other is on backorder until the 11.

??
Old 12-06-03, 08:29 PM

Shrug .. I finally recieved shipping emails today for 2 of my orders I placed early during the sale.

I actually recieved my dvds from these 2 orders, 3 days ago.

Recieving a shipping notice or not recieving one doesn't mean much.
Old 12-06-03, 08:40 PM

Where does DDD ship from? Just curious so that I can calculate the approx. transit time.
Old 12-06-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My Black Friday order shipped on Monday Dec 1, and my Monday December 1 order just shipped today (Saturday). Not bad, considering .... think of how many little eleves they must have running around grabbing DVDs off shelves just to fill the orders we've seen posted here!
Old 12-06-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Itasca, IL 60143
Old 12-06-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by marty888
My Black Friday order shipped on Monday Dec 1, and my Monday December 1 order just shipped today (Saturday). Not bad, considering .... think of how many little eleves they must have running around grabbing DVDs off shelves just to fill the orders we've seen posted here!
I think marty is right . . . we need to cut them a little extra slack on these ones. Just from our little group alone, I'm sure that their order volume has increased about 20 fold. It's going to take them a little longer to get this stuff settled.

As for "normal" circumstances, I order from DDD a lot (one of those who prefer to save a little money over getting it immediately) and, if you are using the free shipping, it usually takes about 4-5 business days to arrive, once you receive the "Shipped" email. Now those are my times in Charlotte, NC, but considering they are shipping from IL, I wouldn't imagine that it would be much longer anywhere in the states except, possibly the West Coast.

As for "time to ship" . . . in stock orders generally go out in 1-3 days. As for backorders, I find that they usually ship around the projected ship date +/- 2 days.

I'm just happy that I got such great deals . . . I can wait a while . . .
Old 12-06-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't mind waiting, but a few of my backordered items are Christmas gifts (I'm sure I'm not the only one) . I'm sure they'll arrive in time, but the suspense is killing me!
Old 12-07-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It seems DDD is taking about a week to ship my orders after they were submitted. First order placed on 11/28 and received shippimg confirmation 12/5. Second order placed on 11/29 and received shipping confirmation 12/6. I have one more order placed on 12/1 that I'm still waiting for shipping confirmation. But at least most items were in stock and they shipped 23 out of 26 DVDs. Hopefully they will start arriving next week.
Old 12-07-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Randy Miller III
I don't mind waiting, but a few of my backordered items are Christmas gifts (I'm sure I'm not the only one) . I'm sure they'll arrive in time, but the suspense is killing me!
Yeah . . . I know the feeling . . . 2 of the 5 that I bought as gifts are on backorder. I really hate to do it, but worst case scenario I was considering buying a copy from a local B&M and giving that as the gift, but holding on to the receipt and returning the DDD copy the the B&M when it arrives.

In theory, it shouldn't make a difference (it's would be in perfectly new shape and still sealed), but something about the idea still feels sketchy.

Last edited by talemyn; 12-07-03 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-07-03, 04:55 PM

Seems like every time now I have a backordered title on an order anymore... The backorder date changes at least once (farther out). And often it doesn't ship till 14-30 days past the backorder date.
Maybe I'm just ordering the wrong titles?
Old 12-07-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: DDD shipping backorders & everything faster than expected?

Yesterday, afternoon, I posted:
Originally posted by cupon
I phoned DDD today (Dec 6) to inquire and was told I was charged for the entire order amount because the whole order (including backorders) is ready to ship this Tuesday (Dec 9) or Wednesday (Dec 10). They said all the titles came in faster than expected.
Yesterday, evening, I received an email from DDD stating the following:

Thank you for contacting DeepDiscountDVD.com!

We are showing that this order has just been released and confirmed on 12/05. The order has shipped out via priority mail
which may take up to 3-5 business days. The order number is 2******* for that whole order.

The online order status is still "open". The in stock items are still shown as "in process" waiting to be shipped Dec 7. The "backordered" items are still shown as waiting to be shipped Dec 14.

To this day, I've never received any shipping confirmation via email. I also placed another order alongside this one, but I never received a shipping confirmation for that order as well. If this order (which contained 15 backordered items) did ship on Dec 5, then the other order must have shipped on the same day or before considering all the items in "that" order was in stock.

There's a strange lack of equilibrium at DDD. First it's not ready to be shipped until the middle of the month. Next they say it's ready to be shipped this upcoming Tuesday or Wednesday. Next they say the entire order has already shipped.

On top of all of this, I now see a $100 "credit" being posted within my CC account. I can't confirm whether it's from DDD or not, but I don't see how it can be anyone other than them.

This leads me to believe that they originally placed an "authorization" for the entire order amount, shipped what they had, but placed a "credit" back to my account for any remaining "backordered" items.

Last edited by cupon; 12-07-03 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-08-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: DDD shipping backorders & everything faster than expected?

Originally posted by cupon
There's a strange lack of equilibrium at DDD. First it's not ready to be shipped until the middle of the month. Next they say it's ready to be shipped this upcoming Tuesday or Wednesday. Next they say the entire order has already shipped.
I just phone a DDD rep about this and was told that my entire order has not been shipped. They are waiting until Dec 18 to ship it in its entirety.

This is the 4th story I've gotten from DDD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.