TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park 12/3

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
South Park 12/3

Butt Out
The boys take up smoking after their school is visited by the anti-smoking campaign representatives

Sounds like a great one. Those ads are ridiculous. Too bad they aren't spoofing the even more ridiculous ads against weed.
Old 12-03-03, 03:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds good.

This is shaping up to be a great season.
Old 12-03-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't be suprised if Matt & Trey were smokers.
Old 12-03-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brilliant ...

just brilliant
Old 12-03-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"It's all a formula!!"

Awesome Episode

Last edited by MasterCXtreme; 12-03-03 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-03-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

best south park episode ever.
Old 12-03-03, 09:29 PM

Reiner calling smoking deadly while eating all that fatty food. Classic.
Old 12-03-03, 10:15 PM

I love this show. Never ceases to make me laugh. "He can just impose his will on whoever he wants. He's my hero".
Old 12-03-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This episode didn't do anything for me, really.
Old 12-03-03, 11:32 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I loved the part where Reiner was chasing Cartman and still eating his chesseburger as he was doing it
Old 12-03-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The obesity analogy was great, and trying to avoid the episodic formula has to be the best B-plot ever.

That said, I still maintain my stance on second-hand smoke: blow it in my face, and I will urinate on you. It's the circle of life.

das
Old 12-03-03, 11:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Meh. Some good moments, but it felt tired...even with the self-referencial stuff. A bit of a let down after the last couple episodes.
Old 12-04-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good episode, but not really any big laughs. Only on "South Park" would Big Tobacco be portrayed as the good guys.

Honk!
Old 12-04-03, 02:13 AM

Wow.... that sucked.

I think that was about my least favorite episode of South Park ever. While I often don't agree with the politics presented on SP, this week really seemed like they were pushing a really strong agenda that didn't really make sense to me.

However, all that really doesn't matter. What matters to me is that it didn't make me laugh. About the only chuckle I managed to get was when the kids started smoking right after the anti-smoking guys said, "You can grow up to be like us!"

*Sigh* After such a good start to the season...

They've got to be smokers.

Last edited by drak b; 12-04-03 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-04-03, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty strong range of opinions on this one! I'm joining the m'eh camp, I didn't get many chuckles out of it.
Old 12-04-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I laughed quite a few times, mostly at their portrayal of Reiner and the "Good Guys".

Entertaining stuff.
Old 12-04-03, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

when Mr. Mackey saw the school on fire he said "oh, shit!"

but the "shit" was bleeped out.

I though South Park crossed that line and was allowed to say shit on TV. or was it just that one episode?
Old 12-04-03, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoyalTea
when Mr. Mackey saw the school on fire he said "oh, shit!"

but the "shit" was bleeped out.

I though South Park crossed that line and was allowed to say shit on TV. or was it just that one episode?
I'm pretty sure it was only meant for that one episode.
Old 12-04-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Sheer brilliance! Anyone who bitches about 2nd hand smoke (particularly in bars) needs to be strapped down and forced to watch this episode.

The song in the Big Tobacco factory was hilarious, and better yet, the truth.
Old 12-04-03, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
This episode didn't do anything for me, really.
This season hasn't done anything for me. The Faith +1 episode was a classic but other than that the show isn't as funny as it used to be. If I was a smoker maybe the episode would have been funnier, but the most I laughed was at the beginning with that group.
Old 12-04-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This wasn't about bitching about second-hand smoke. It was about forcing smokers to your way of thinking, which is not the same thing (although there is overlap). I don't care if you want to slowly kill yourself and smell like an ashtray for the rest of that shortened life, but I have a few rights too. Complaining about bars is ridiculous, but I should be able to do my job without sitting next to a small fire all day. Although not so much anymore, and there are places that have crossed the line, there is still a legitimate complaint about second hand smoke.

I do agree with others that this episode, while funny, was a bit too one-sided. Usually, they're better with showing the other side. I was kind of expecting this episode to be all anti-anti-smoking, with the kids defending their rights, and the adults looking stupid, until the last second when someone offers Stan a cigarette and he says, "no way dude ... smoking's lame."

As for the song lyrics being "the truth," I guess that depends on your perspective. Longterm smoking doesn't just decrease your life expectancy, but it also harms the quality of those remaining years. It doesn't take but watching a single loved one spend the last 15 years of her life breathing through tubes, unable to fill her lungs long enough to form complete sentences, and constantly breaking bones that have been slowly eaten away by the osteoporosis caused from a lifetime of smoking to wake up and see just how bad the effects can be. Yeah, my grandmother had 10 years cut off the end of her life ... but the way it actually went down, you may as well have made it 25. Every indignant smoker who's convinced himself that the shady tactics of the anti-smoking movement have somehow made it less harmful should face that reality at least once. There's this defiant post-teenage rebellion thing going on: "it's my life ... I'll do what I want, and you can't stop me ... hahaha!!!!" That's fine ... just don't convince yourself that it's less harmful than it really is simply to justify it your actions ... and wear some ****ing cologne ... you stink.

das
Old 12-04-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey

As for the song lyrics being "the truth," I guess that depends on your perspective. Longterm smoking doesn't just decrease your life expectancy, but it also harms the quality of those remaining years. It doesn't take but watching a single loved one spend the last 15 years of her life breathing through tubes, unable to fill her lungs long enough to form complete sentences, and constantly breaking bones that have been slowly eaten away by the osteoporosis caused from a lifetime of smoking to wake up and see just how bad the effects can be. Yeah, my grandmother had 10 years cut off the end of her life ... but the way it actually went down, you may as well have made it 25. Every indignant smoker who's convinced himself that the shady tactics of the anti-smoking movement have somehow made it less harmful should face that reality at least once. There's this defiant post-teenage rebellion thing going on: "it's my life ... I'll do what I want, and you can't stop me ... hahaha!!!!" That's fine ... just don't convince yourself that it's less harmful than it really is simply to justify it your actions ... and wear some ****ing cologne ... you stink.

das

There is any number of things that you can do that can lower your life expectancy. I believe one thing was demonstrated quite nicely in this episode.

The 2nd hand smoke issue came up in the bar, which, as you said, is ridiculous. However, any property owner should be able to set the rules for his property (as long as he is not engaging in otherwise illegal activity). You don't have the right to clean air on someone else's property. You don't like it, don't go on the property, and that would include any job. Of course, considering that the majority of people do not smoke, it would be pretty stupid for an employer to allow smoking in a place like an office.

The song was the truth - live your life. If you want to smoke away, do it. If you want to eat 100 cheeseburgers a day, do it. I don't know any smokers who think smoking is not a long-term health risk.
Old 12-04-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't disagree about the rights issue. My point was that there is a place for "bitching about second-hand smoke." It's gone too far in many places, but it still has its place. If people are smoking in the lobby of my office building, I will complain to management, and I will ask the owner of the building to enforce a policy to change it, or my company will leave. I don't expect the goverment to do it, but I'll still voice my opinion, and select a home for my company where I feel comfortable. In any case, this episode was about why its wrong to force people to your way of thinking not why it's wrong to have a problem with second-hand smoke. Not wanting to be around second-hand smoke is still a very valid opinion. Forcing that opinion on others is the problem.

As for the song, the lyrics glossed over the issue I specifically described, saying you'd die at 80 instead of 90, but who wants to be 90 anyway. What it doesn't tell you is that by 65, if you're female, you may break your hip when sneezing. As such, that's why I said "depends on your perspective." And believe me, there are a LOT of people who just think smoking will make them die a few years earlier and haven't really considered what will happen to them in the years leading up to that death. People know it's a long-term health risk, but not everyone has given a lot of thought to how it's a long-term health risk, especially young smokers. My post about the song had nothing to do with its "live your life" message but its glossing over of the consequences. The song made me laugh, and it certainly didn't lie about anything, but its level of "truth" is a bit subjective.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 12-04-03 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-04-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1) I thought this was a f'n hilarious episode.

2) The "shit" thing.... yes, they *could* say it. But remember what happened in the episode where they did get to say it. What Matt and Trey said on the VH1 special is that they can say it, but not in the South Park universe. It is a curse(d) word, y'unno.
Old 12-04-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We haven't really talked about the "Butt Out" thing, but I thought that was the best part ... absolutely spot on. I don't remember what agenda they were pushing (probably "drugs are bad, mmkay"), but I certainly remember those assemblies in school ... and they were torture.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.