TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Line of Fire" Series Premiere 12/02/03

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Line of Fire" Series Premiere 12/02/03

Not a bad show. Much better than it's closest ABC comparison "Threat Matrix"

The 911-widow-turned-FBI-trainee thing was a little but overall i think it earned a second viewing from me.

Leslie Bibb
Old 12-02-03, 10:07 PM

I'm hooked. Ok, ok, it's because I live in Richmond and know Leslie, but it was a pretty good show as well. It's great that the pilot was actually filmed here instead of the usual "takes place in said city but filmed in Vancouver or L.A.", and that they incorporated real places and locations throughout (Davis & Main (actually on the corner of Davis & Main), The Canal Club (just saw Rooney there), and Monument Ave.) We'll see how many more episodes are filmed here. Last I heard was that they were here in September filming, so who knows.

Hopefully this first episode has done enough "introductions" to the characters that we can move on to some meat in storylines. I thought Stubbs was going to be who Roy ended up being (vague for spoiler's sake), but this makes for some interesting twists.

Overall, good first episode. Lets hope that they can continue.
Old 12-02-03, 10:26 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I liked it

Shooting the old lady was a give away that Roy was FBI.

The only character I didn't care for was Leslie Bibb's. I was during her 911 speech.
Old 12-02-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by MrX
Shooting the old lady was a give away that Roy was FBI.

Really? I didn't see it coming. Once that little character twist towards the end came around i was hooked. I'll tune until ABC cancels it.
Old 12-02-03, 11:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Really?
I figured they're not going to kill an old lady in cold blood on network TV.

This is definitely a show that would be better off on HBO. I was laughing when Malloy was yelling at the football game on tv and only saying crap.
Old 12-03-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

None of the characters are in the least bit interesting. And the crime boss is about as menacing as Tickle Me Elmo. Its definitely no "EZ Streets" which some reviews have compared it to. If anything it reminded me of "Big Apple" and "Falcone". Neither of which were good shows.
Old 12-03-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MrX
I was laughing when Malloy was yelling at the football game on tv and only saying crap.
Glad I wasn't the only one

Overall though, I enjoyed it enough to give it a second episode, and I watch VERY little network TV (24, Alias, and uh, that's it).
Old 12-03-03, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the show, but it was extremely obvious that the new guy was FBI. BTW, how did they explain the old lady? Was she in on the plan as well? I missed that part.

And aren't people going to ask questions about a football player having his hands crushed, whether a pro or a collegiate?
Old 12-03-03, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrX
This is definitely a show that would be better off on HBO.
There could be uh, er, um, other positive aspects to that...
Old 12-03-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Liked it. A little slow but at least they are spending time developing the characters. I thought that the 9/11 speech was a bit hokey and I was a bit as far as how convenient it was that Roy found that dealer...until the end . I'll tune in until ABC does the dumb job of cancelling it.
Old 12-03-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wasn't in the mood for tv and gave up watching it at some point to do something else but the parts that I saw the whole time I couldn't get the ADR looping scenes from 'Modern Romance' out of my head.

Was the sound effects for the whole show that bad? I could just picture Albert Brooks and Bruno Kirby running around the coffee table.. "chase me, chase me" and then the Hulk sound coming in with heavy breathing.
Old 12-03-03, 09:04 AM

I liked it. Loved how the whole thing was shot so darkly with lots of grays. Loved Leslie Hope [she was great as Keifer's wife on 24]. Leslie Bibb's character is intentionally annoying, I think, but will hopefully get better.

David Paymer was fantastic as the mob boss. He could really do a lot with the role.

A very good pilot, I think. A nice setup for future storylines.
Old 12-03-03, 10:26 AM

I thought it was pretty good. I think its pretty cool to have an organized crime drama not set in NY or chicago or LA, but in Richmond. The preview for next week looks pretty good, and thats that with that.
Old 12-03-03, 07:34 PM
Cool New Member

I didn't like how the Mob Boss ended discussions with "and that's that with that". I didn't mind him having a closing signature but I thought the one that the writers came up with was stupid. I can just imagine all his cronies mimicing him behind his back. And that's that with that.

See, isn't that stupid.
Old 12-03-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
The only character I didn't care for was Leslie Bibb's. I was during her 911 speech.
I concur.

I like David Paymer as an actor - I do, but it is going to take some convincing to see him as a mob boss. I see him as the puss from Payback and it didn't help tonight that they played some music from it during one of his scenes.

Thumbs up to a new locale for a tv show.
Old 12-03-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
As much as I love Leslie Bibb, her 9/11 speech was the worst minute of the show. The guy turning out to be FBI was a little too obvious.

Overall I liked the show, but to compare it to EZ Streets, I think not! I actually like Big Apple...but that's besides the point. I think theres enough going on in the show to keep it interesting.

I'll keep watching it.
Old 12-04-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
As much as I love Leslie Bibb, her 9/11 speech was the worst minute of the show.

I agree.

That chick is hot, but the hottest one was the agent played by Julie Ann Emrey.
Old 12-04-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved the style, pace and tone of it. I want more.
Old 12-04-03, 03:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Missed this premiere. Anyone know if there will be an encore? I doubt it though.
Old 12-05-03, 11:54 PM
Registered

Felt like it comes from the same creative team that does 24 minus the time element... Didn't really hold my interest and so I switched it off about 1/2 way through
Old 12-06-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by gkleinman
Felt like it comes from the same creative team that does 24 minus the time element... Didn't really hold my interest and so I switched it off about 1/2 way through
That's interesting. I think the time element is the worst part of 24.

I found the parallels between the different "families" to be interesting enough, especially considering it's the pilot.

And anyone who knew Roy was FBI, well, I salute you. I might have suspected it, but the fact that he was released from prison at the beginning was enough for me to be completely surprised when it was revealed.

Looking forward to the next episode!
Old 12-07-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Draven
And anyone who knew Roy was FBI, well, I salute you. I might have suspected it, but the fact that he was released from prison at the beginning was enough for me to be completely surprised when it was revealed.
Okay...now that I've got company, I'll admit it: I was fooled, also. Especially after the bystander incident. I thought he was just going to be an out-of-control white trash psycho.

(Still have echoes of Ziggy in my mind...)

I really liked the exchange between Bibb and Hope, after Leslie came out of the bathroom. When she gave her that look and then looked after him and Leslie realized what she was implying, her "What?" [realization] "Oh, God no!" was hilarious.
Old 12-07-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After one episode, I don't be liking the van Doran (Bibb) character, too damn self-righteous and totally inept in playing the game to get what she wants.
Old 12-08-03, 03:08 PM

I want to see the Roy character developed more, but doesn't the undercover guy always get wacked?