Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is EBGames generous with trade-ins ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 09:19 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Is EBGames generous with trade-ins ?

I would like to trade-in my Gamecube with 2 controllers, a memory card and these games ( Zelda Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil ) for an X-Box but I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

How much do you guys think they would offer me for this ?
Old 12-02-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 199 Likes on 172 Posts

"EBGames" and "Generous trade-ins" just don't go together...

But your best bet is to call a local store for a verbal quote, at least it'll save you a trip if they offer very little, which is likely to be the case.
Old 12-02-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to trade in a bunch of Troma DVDs and they offered me .50 each.

I'd throw them away before I'd give them to EB at that price...
Old 12-02-03, 09:48 PM

You should be able to get at least $20 for Wind Waker (I got $20 for Jedi Outcast for the GC).
Probably around $10 each for the others.
No idea about the system, controllers, & memory card though.

More often than not, I'd guess selling on ebay would net you much more ROI than EBGames, buuuuuuuuuuut, ebay sure ain't as simple as walking into a store w/ stuff and walking out w/ $$$.
Old 12-02-03, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Expect maybe $85/90?
Old 12-02-03, 09:55 PM
Banned

Gamestop seems to gave more trade in money then EB. Hell Gamestop seems to gave twice as much as EB will gave ya.
Old 12-02-03, 09:59 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have any gamestops here in Ottawa, Canada. Only EBGames

I guess I'll go this weekend and hope for the best.
Old 12-02-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
The last I saw was something totally outrageous, trade in a certain next gen console, and 7 games and get another system for $50. WOW! REALLY! Let me give you $350 worth of stuff and then pay you another $50 for a system. Great deal EB, to the marketing department.

Sell on half.com. Works wonders. It's like ebay without the hassle. Just type in the UPC, select the condition it is in and the price you want for it and then just wait until someone buys it.
Old 12-03-03, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
"The last I saw was something totally outrageous, trade in a certain next gen console, and 7 games and get another system for $50. WOW! REALLY! Let me give you $350 worth of stuff and then pay you another $50 for a system. Great deal EB, to the marketing department."

It's NOT any next gen console...it's a PS1, N64, or DC with a combo of 7 games from any of those systems.

Howie, your looking at around $110...maybe a bit more.
Old 12-03-03, 08:05 AM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually did that trade with EB, My PS1 and seven games and got a gamecube for 30. I never played my PS1 and I only had 4 games went to a local pawn shop and bought 4 other games for 10 dollars. To me that was a good deal I get to now play some of the new games and got rid of something that was just collecting dust.
Old 12-03-03, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It always pains me a little when I see people trading in games at places like EB. Especially when they're kids, or seem like they don't have a lot of disposable income. They walk in with 4 games and walk out with $15, and I just get upset.

There are other ways... Half.com is good if you don't mind waiting. I've sold about 100 games over the years. In almost every case, I've bought the game new, played through it, and then resold it for more than I paid for it in the first place. I'm up about $700 at this point.
Old 12-03-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would never trade in at EB. The last time I did was when they had a special that if you traded in 3 games they would double how much they were worth. If I need to trade games in I go to my local Gamestop.
Old 12-03-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
"It always pains me a little when I see people trading in games at places like EB. Especially when they're kids, or seem like they don't have a lot of disposable income. They walk in with 4 games and walk out with $15, and I just get upset."

You'll be surprised just how shitty some of their games look when they bring them in. $15 for 4 scratched to hell discs seems reasonable to me. We just send defective games to a warehouse where they can clean them up. Granted, it's not always the case, but I see this happening alot.

I once had one guy complain when I told him he would get $3 for LOTR: FOTR PS2. Even though I explained that we sell the game for $10 NEW and was even offered for free during our Hulk promotion in June, he still told us we were stealing him blind and stormed out.
Old 12-03-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NO
Old 12-03-03, 09:12 AM

I don't like the whole concept of paying full price for a game and getting only $2.50 for it either.

But on BF last week, I brought in to EBGames a bunch of crap I paid very little for (all nex gen console stuff) and they gave me $10 for each. They had a promotion, any PS2-GC-Xbox-NON-sport game gets $10.

So in a case like that, it's pretty much worth it to unload stuff that's just taking up space.

And I'll have to keep my eyes open for another PS1 trade-in promotion since the PS2 is backward compatible and I don't need the PS1 anymore.
Old 12-03-03, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by PixyJunket
NO
Old 12-03-03, 10:02 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

the gamecube is worth $50 for a trade in, so then you just have to figure out the price for the memory card, and the games,

Dean works at ebgames so his price, is probably about right.
Old 12-03-03, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
You'll be surprised just how shitty some of their games look when they bring them in. $15 for 4 scratched to hell discs seems reasonable to me. We just send defective games to a warehouse where they can clean them up. Granted, it's not always the case, but I see this happening alot.
Okay, I'll grant you that. When the games are ****ed up and can't be resold, I agree that they are essentially worthless. Out of curiosity, how often does this happen? I assumed that most trade-ins happen more as a result of people finishing their games, needing money, and not knowing about or not wanting to deal with Half or EBay.

I once had one guy complain when I told him he would get $3 for LOTR: FOTR PS2. Even though I explained that we sell the game for $10 NEW and was even offered for free during our Hulk promotion in June, he still told us we were stealing him blind and stormed out.
I have to agree with him on this one. First, the $10 sale was a temporary promotion, while I'm guessing that $3 was the permanent trade-in value of the game.

Second, especially on sale items, EB's new and used prices don't correlate. I'd bet that even when the new copy was $10, the used one was around $18.

Third, in a case of subjective valuation, there's no reason that the buyer's price is the reasonable one and the seller's price is the unreasonable one. If you could prove that the market value of a used copy of that game was in fact around $3, then from an objective standpoint the customer was being unreasonable. But this scenario is also consistent with price gouging on the part of EB due to unequal bargaining power.
Old 12-03-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by illennium
Second, especially on sale items, EB's new and used prices don't correlate. I'd bet that even when the new copy was $10, the used one was around $18.

Well you hit that, SALE items don't correlate with the used prices. No one forces anyone to trade items at EB, they do it voluntarily. Although I will note sometimes promotions can really help trade-ins, I had a gentleman come in the Saturday after Thanksgiving and traded 6 GBA games that normally had a total trade-in value of $12 but becuase of a promotion that weekend he got $60 so he walked out with two brand new games. Three of the titles he traded we resell for prices under $5.
Old 12-03-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 308 Posts
I always trade in my old games at EB. I never tried at Gamestop, so I dunno what their prices and policies are.

It does seem that Gamestop is a little more in touch with reality then EB, tho. For example, when Morrowind GOTY came out for PC, I called EB and was told "that's not out yet." I then called Gamestop, and within minutes was walking out the door with the game. Plus, the Gamestop employees seem to know more about the deals, and are more informative about the games. Meanwhile at EB, I have some guy telling me Inside Drive 2004 is tthe best basketball game of the year
Old 12-03-03, 03:30 PM

I'd be interested in WW and MS, how much you want for them?
Old 12-04-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last time I was in an EB, I saw this guy trade in 5 Xbox games for $19.
Old 12-04-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've found that you can usually get a good deal at EB if you are aware of their promotions. I agree with folks who say you can do better on EBay- that's obvious, since then you are getting full actual resale value of the used game. However, that full actual resale value on EBay, in my experience, often turns out to be ZERO. In other words, I list 10 games, manage to sell about 5 of them, leaving me with 5 peices of crap still. I just don't have the time to deal with it I guess.

Case in point about my comment on EB (or Gamestop for that matter) and promotions: If I bring those 10 games to EB, they are giving an extra $50 trade in credit for them this month. I've only got about 5 I'm looking to unload right now, but I assure you, if I list Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance PS2, Worms Blast GC, Grand Theft Auto III PS2, LOTR: fellowship of the Ring PS2, and Star Wars KOTOR XB, I MIGHT be able to sell the KOTOR, for maybe 30 bucks. Meanwhile, I'm betting I get around $60 at EB for all that and avoid the hassle.

I paid about $12 for Baldur's Gate, Worms, and GTA III, $35 for KOTOR, and I got the LOTR for $5.40. (sorry Illennium, but you were way wrong on that one). Does it bug me that EB wanted to give that guy mentioned above $3 for the LOTR and wanted to sell it to me for double (5.99 before that card discount)? Not really. Especially since I'll get 8 bucks for it by the end of the month.

I've had this discussion other times, and I can certainly see why some people would go the EBAy route, but unless you have a ton of time on your hands, or you can sell directly to friends (I still do that sometimes), I think EB and Gamestop can be rather generous, especially if you follow their promotions.

(I mean, what did that guy say- he got a GameCube for $30 by getting rid of his PS1 and 7 games? If he charged $70 to some 10 year old for that crap, you would all be on his case. Face it, thats a good deal, especially if it is a sure thing and you know you are getting your money).

Last edited by MrKen; 12-04-03 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-04-03, 12:14 PM

is EB giving that extra $5 all month? i thought it was just on the morning of Black Friday?
Old 12-04-03, 12:24 PM

never trade in game at this stores
they'll take'em for a couple of dollars and then resell them at double the price
I've always sold my games on Half.com, it's fast, easy and you get a lot more money

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.