Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Looking for video capture cards - suggestions?

El-Kabong
12-02-03, 08:45 PM
So I'm looking to dump a whole bunch of my old VHS home movies to my computer. I'm suspecting that I'll need a capture card of some sort and editing software.

Since most of the movies were edited in the camera and on the fly anyway, I'm looking to just do a straight dump with little to no editing. Any suggestions on a solid and inexpensive card and software that'll fit the bill?

dancinns
12-03-03, 02:21 PM
You can't really go wrong with any of the ATI All-In-Wonder cards. I've got an old one (8 MB I think) and I still use it to this day. A very solid card.

I believe there's something else called Dazzle that's like a dongle or something. It's supposed to be good as well. But ATI gets my approval for their video capture cards

icondude
12-03-03, 02:33 PM
I recommend buying a used one off eBay. It's something that a lot of people use for a while, and when they are done converting their VHS tapes to VCD or DVD, they eBay it.

4KRG
12-03-03, 02:56 PM
I just wanted a quick-n-cheap way to transfer some stuff from VHS to DVD, this card works perfectly for < $50

TV LEADTEK WINFAST "DELUXE" TV2000XP TV/FM MULTIMEDIA CARD - RETAIL BOX

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&manufactory=1280&catalog=47&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

You do have to have a failry powerful machine to handle the MPEG compression on the fly, but it works.

asabase
12-03-03, 03:09 PM
I got an I/O Magic TV tuner card from CompUSA for around $20 after rebate. The box says it doesn't have composite inputs but it does and they work.

Original Desmond
12-04-03, 01:48 AM
I Second the TV Leadtek WInfast but there is now an Expert edition, slightly more feature packed than the Deluxe edition

Patman
12-04-03, 08:58 AM
Now if you're PC is somewhat ancient (Celeron II 1GHZ with 512MB ram), will I need to upgrade my motherboard/CPU/RAM to do video capture, or can I buy a card that will allow me to capture without buying a new PC (basically)?

My current PC has the original ATI AIW Radeon card, but I find the video capture aspect of it lacking, even while capturing at AVI (uncompressed) because I get those "stairs" during motion scenes on-screen.

4KRG
12-04-03, 12:20 PM
Patman

You need somthing that will do hardware mpeg encoding to use an older machine, something like this

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintvpvr350_datasheet.htm

but even then if your hard drive can not keep up with writing the data, it may still come out screwed up.

System Requirements:

Processor requirements:
Pentium® II processor 600MHz or faster for TV pause with full screen playback
Windows®98SE (Second Edition), Windows® Millennium Edition, Windows2000 and WindowsXP.
Free PCI slot
Sound card
CD-RW writer (optional for burning Video CD’s)
VGA card (PCI or AGP) which supports video overlay (NVidia, S3, ATI, etc.)

Patman
12-04-03, 11:17 PM
How about the lil' brother, the Wintv PVR250? Would I be giving up more video capture quality for a lower price?

X
12-04-03, 11:26 PM
I believe the difference between the PVR250 and the PVR350 is only an FM tuner.

I've been down this route and consider capturing in lossless avi format to be the way to go. Then transcoding to mpeg2 when you're ready to burn. Mpeg2 is a lossy compression and I've found that editing and preparing for burning results in another round of decompression and compression.

Just about any card can capture avi in realtime. You should be concerned about the quality.

Patman
12-05-03, 01:11 AM
I've also considered the Canopus AVC 50 as well. Any thoughts on this solution -> DV.

X
12-05-03, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Patman
I've also considered the Canopus AVC 50 as well. Any thoughts on this solution -> DV. I've been looking into their products and think the ADVC-100 is the way to go.

But then I found another brand that did the same thing (and I hear with even better quality) but lacked the audio sync that seems to not be a necessary feature anyway. And it costs a lot less.

I don't remember what that brand was but if anyone's interested I could look through my notes and find it fairly easily.

Patman
12-05-03, 01:53 AM
Are you thinking of the Datavideo DAC-100? It seems to run around $70 less than the Canopus ADVC-100.

X
12-05-03, 02:04 AM
Sounds familiar, that might be it. I'd have to check though.

I was pretty sure I'd get that one instead of the Canopus from what I read about its video quality. Audio sync lock didn't seem to be much of an issue with fast CPUs. There might have been one other feature it lacked, but I can't remember what that was. I'd have to check.

Ape
12-05-03, 05:28 AM
You might want to check this thread out.
Avermedia PCI card at OM this week works out to free after rebates.
Most seem pretty happy with it.

Haven't hooked mine up yet.

ApeAvermedia Card (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=247506&highlight_key=y&keyword1=aver)

Hope it helps

Patman
12-06-03, 09:17 AM
How about the Asus TV FM Tuner Capture card (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-116-508&depa=0&section=3)? Will this provide hardware decoding for video captures?

The thing that puts me off on this card is that I've read reports that it doesn't produce video captures in the AVI format that VirtualDub can handle.