Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : DDD. Is ANYTHING still in stock?

caiman
12-01-03, 09:07 PM
I'm compiling a list of DVDs in my shopping cart to buy with the 20% code, and almost every single item is out of stock. Has anyone else had this problem recently? How quickly do titles typically come back in stock?

Josh-da-man
12-02-03, 08:04 AM
Do they ever have anything in stock?

Seems like everytime I've ordered something, it's been out of stock. Seems pretty normal for them.

Groucho
12-02-03, 08:53 AM
Of all the stuff I bought using the coupon, only one was out of stock.

Yakuza Bengoshi
12-02-03, 08:53 AM
Out of the 98 DVDs I ordered, DDD had 81 in stock. I think that's pretty good considering the onslaught they must be experiencing now. Additionally, I don't mind the wait for backordered DVDs since they don't charge until the item ships, so (1) my credit card won't get hammered all at once, and (2) I'll have great DVDs trickling in for weeks to come.

marty888
12-02-03, 10:11 AM
I ordered 4 items (including the new Bond sets) last Friday - they've shipped.

Yesterday I ordered 13 items, and only one (<i>Once Upon a Time in the West</i>) is backordered.

Today I ordered 5 items, and all are in stock.

No problems here.

Roy28
12-02-03, 11:37 AM
Last night I ordered 15 Items - none of them showed as out of stock on the check-out page. When I got the second confirmation this morning - it showed 9 of them as back-ordered.

The only things in-stock were some cheapo discs I threw in for the hell of it (a couple of image 2-packs and a few cheap MGM titles). It wouldn't bug me so much if I didn't pay extra for upgraded shipping - since everything seemed to be in-stock when I ordered. So now the cheap discs are coming Priority Mail and the ones I really wanted are coming Media Mail (Whenever they get them back in stock). I really wish DDD would implement a "hold for complete" option for cases like this or allow you to change/alter an order after it has been placed.

Better yet, why can't they just accurately show what the stock status of an item is (like most other stores)?

abintra
12-02-03, 12:37 PM
Are they pretty good about getting new stock in before long?

Quatermass
12-02-03, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Out of the 98 DVDs I ordered, DDD had 81 in stock. I think that's pretty good considering the onslaught they must be experiencing now. Additionally, I don't mind the wait for backordered DVDs since they don't charge until the item ships, so (1) my credit card won't get hammered all at once, and (2) I'll have great DVDs trickling in for weeks to come.

But you don't get the 20% discount if it's not in stock, right?

abintra
12-02-03, 04:12 PM
You still get it for OOS items but not pre-orders.

ernestrp
12-02-03, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Quatermass
But you don't get the 20% discount if it's not in stock, right?

*Offer valid on currently available DVD's only. Coupons do not apply to orders for pre-release DVD's. Other merchandise, including video games, accessories or electronics are excluded from the sale. Coupon valid from 11/27/03-12/5/03 only. Previous sales are excluded. Prices listed reflect the 20% savings. Coupon my only be used once per customer. Some restrictions apply, see site for details. We reserve the right to limit quantities.

Quatermass
12-02-03, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by abintra
You still get it for OOS items but not pre-orders.

Originally posted by ernestrp
*Offer valid on currently available DVD's only. Coupons do not apply to orders for pre-release DVD's. Other merchandise, including video games, accessories or electronics are excluded from the sale. Coupon valid from 11/27/03-12/5/03 only. Previous sales are excluded. Prices listed reflect the 20% savings. Coupon my only be used once per customer. Some restrictions apply, see site for details. We reserve the right to limit quantities.

It seems like the term "currently available" might be open to interpretation. Since they don't bill until it ships, I was worried they might bill you the price of the item when it becomes available again without the discount. I used one of the coupons and ordered a few things, but I deleted the items that were showing up as out of stock in the shopping cart because I thought this meant they weren't "currently available".
I'll place another order using a different code to order the stuff that I know is backordered and see what happens.

DJLinus
12-02-03, 07:17 PM
Man, they must be getting slammed. I've been trying to complete my order for about 45 minutes now. I either get errors or the page won't load. I got to the final checkout page once, but then the coupon wasn't applied. It's getting pretty frustrating. Guess I'll try again in the wee hours of the morning.

To be on-topic, only one of the 6 potential DVDs is listed as OOS ("Best of Will Ferrell").

Roy28
12-02-03, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by DJLinus
Guess I'll try again in the wee hours of the morning.

Good luck - I worked late last night and tried to place an order several times between approximately Midnight and 3 A.M, with no luck. I finally managed to get the order through around 4:00, but even then the site was at almost a complete standstill - I think I just got lucky.

guildda
12-02-03, 10:52 PM
I just wish their search engine would work more often than 1 in 10 tries. As much fun as browsing through all their pages can be...

nodoubt
12-03-03, 12:17 AM
skimmed through the thread, but do you still pay the discounted price if item's out of stock?

caiman
12-03-03, 12:18 AM
EDIT: ^^^ good question!

So can anyone confirm that the 20% discount applies to out of stock items?

Laser Movies
12-03-03, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by caiman
EDIT: ^^^ good question!

So can anyone confirm that the 20% discount applies to out of stock items?

Several orders I placed with out of stock items had the 20% discount applied. I don't see that being a problem. The coupon restrictions made no mention that an item had to be in stock, only that it wasn't valid on pre-orders.

Movie_Man
12-03-03, 11:48 AM
If you put in a pre-order, the shopping cart doesn't reflect the 20% discount. If you put in a backordered item, it does show the 20% discount, so I think you'll be ok on the backorders.

syphon00
12-03-03, 11:58 AM
how is DDD with backorders?
has anyone ever experienced it
I mean will take another 2-3 months, should I even bother?

Laser Movies
12-03-03, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by syphon00
how is DDD with backorders?
has anyone ever experienced it
I mean will take another 2-3 months, should I even bother?

From my past experience with DDD it could take several weeks to get backordered items in stock, maybe longer with this sale. If you don't have the patience to wait then I suggest not placing an order.

Yakuza Bengoshi
12-03-03, 03:09 PM
DVDs on hand definitely seem to be drying up at DDD. In my previous orders only only 17 out of 98 were on backorder. On today's order 7 out of 10 were.

Quatermass
12-03-03, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
out of 98

:jawdrop:

chopchop27
12-03-03, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
From my past experience with DDD it could take several weeks to get backordered items in stock, maybe longer with this sale. If you don't have the patience to wait then I suggest not placing an order.
Something tells me that if DDD has a bunch of customers waiting until well after the holidays to get their gifts (assuming that the majority of these orders are for gifts), then they very well might be losing a lot of return customers soured by such a wait.

Fed-Ex Pope
12-03-03, 07:40 PM
I ordered the CC Hitchcock Box yesterday morning. (backordered of course) With free shipping, and the fact they will not bill me until it is ready to ship, do you think they would get this in stock before 12/16? I ask because it will cost me about 72 bucks,and my account only has 80 bucks in it. I REALLY want to get the Alien Quad NOW, but I don;t get paid again until 12/16....I do not want to lose my place in line (or my discount) on the DDD order, so do you think I would be safe?

Fed-Ex Pope
12-03-03, 08:04 PM
I hate to bump this, but could someone with DDD buying experience please give me some advice? If it would take them more than a couple of weeks to get that box set off of backorder, I would LOVE to run out get the AQ right now!

dvd-4-life
12-03-03, 08:20 PM
I have never had a long wait on a backorder from DDD.Ten days at the longest.

axolotls return
12-03-03, 10:11 PM
Backorders can take forever. I had a few that took THREE months! I tried to cancel on the third month, but then it miraculously shipped the day before.

zParticle
12-03-03, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Fed-Ex Pope
CC Hitchcock Box Where is this one? I've seen several people mention it, but couldn't find it. Got a link or exact title?

Thanks!

seymouru
12-03-03, 10:48 PM
Wrong Men & Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers 1935-1946 (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redirect.cfm?referral=dvdtalkedt&goto=buyPage&identifier=HVD001605)

zParticle
12-03-03, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by seymouru
Wrong Men & Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers 1935-1946 (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redirect.cfm?referral=dvdtalkedt&goto=buyPage&identifier=HVD001605) Wow, what a great set. And 5 Criterions for $72 is a sweet deal--if it wasn't backordered I'd jump on that for a Christmas gift.

Thanks for the link!

Fed-Ex Pope
12-04-03, 03:09 PM
Dont bother. i just got a reply stating that the order was cancelled because the item is discontinued....So if you ordered this after 12/2 8:00 Am (CST), your SoL like me.

D-Ball
12-04-03, 03:41 PM
Dont bother. i just got a reply stating that the order was cancelled because the item is discontinued....So if you ordered this after 12/2 8:00 Am (CST), your SoL like me.

That was probably just a glitch in the system. They mistakenly sent out cancellation emails stating that dvds were discontinued even though they were not. You might want to call them to see if this is what happened. The box set is being discontinued at the end of the year, but it still should be available for awhile. Here are two threads discussing the cancellation problem: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333693
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333652

Fed-Ex Pope
12-04-03, 05:07 PM
That is interesting. Im not sure if it applies in my case (I hope not since I just sent them a semi-angry email) My situation:

Tuesday I order the Hitchock set, after waiting ten minutes for the verification that my order was accepted, (I guess their site was REALLY slow that day) I refreshed my browser and ordered again.

Later that day I received two emails (indicating duplicate orders) I emailed them to cancell the second order.

Today I got the verfication that the second order was cancelled. Not only because I asked them too, but also because it was discontinued. Nothing was mentioned about my first order, but considering it was the identical item, I assumed another email was on my way stating its cancellation, also because of discontinuation.

Disappointed that I would miss out on a good deal, but somewhat glad that I could go out and buy the Alien Quad with no worries, I got in line with my copy at Walmart, only to have my card declined! After an investigation at the bank, turns out that despite what you might have read in ddd's FAQs, they DID charge me for backordered items that have not been shipped! And not only one order of 72 bucks, but for BOTH!!!

So I was charged for one pending order, with a BACKORDED status. I was also charged for one order of a cofirmed-cancelled order of a BACKORDERED item which they themselves said was discontinued, and would NOT ship!

Who knows the true fate of order one? Who knows when I will be able to spend my money they have tied up against their policy? Maybe I will get a response in the next few DAYS...damn it, I'm MAD!

matome
12-04-03, 05:26 PM
Where is the stock status of the titles indicated? I don't see it anywhere.

cross
12-04-03, 05:31 PM
Disappointed that I would miss out on a good deal, but somewhat glad that I could go out and buy the Alien Quad with no worries, I got in line with my copy at Walmart, only to have my card declined! After an investigation at the bank, turns out that despite what you might have read in ddd's FAQs, they DID charge me for backordered items that have not been shipped! And not only one order of 72 bucks, but for BOTH!!!

Heh .. isn't getting within 60 dollars of your credit card limit kinda cutting it close?

I check DDD stock by just putting the item in my cart. If its OOS you get a red message telling you that its out.

Fed-Ex Pope
12-04-03, 05:48 PM
This is what I sent them....It's not very mean, but thats about as ugly as I get about things (other than those crappy Universal reps who never returned ANY of my emails about that defective replacement Meaning of Life fiasco. By the third email I was pretty pissed. I guess they are notifying others about replacing their 2nd round of crap discs, but no luck for me)

I blocked-out my order numbers, but otherwise this is word for word:

(EDIT:yeah, I fibbed and told them I was at the mall...I tried to class myself up a bit from a Walmart-shopper :)

I placed an order (actually two by mistake) on 12/2.(orders ****** and *******)
I cancelled order ******* and received this reply:

"The order for the item(s) listed below has been canceled for one of the
following reasons:

The order was canceled per your request.

This item has been discontinued. "

Question: If both orders were for the exact same item (again, mistakenly ordering twice) why have I not received a notification that order ****** was automatically cancelled on your end, because it has been discontinued? Did I really luck out on the first order, and get the last copy (even though it's status says BACKORDERED) Better yet, why was I billed for both orders? Both were considered BACKORDERED, and when browsing your FAQS, I see:

"Q: When will my credit card be charged for an order?
A: Your credit card will not be charged until your merchandise is shipped."

My account balance shows that I WAS charged, (I know this because I was at the mall trying to shop and was told my balance was -64.00, which was embarassing, AND wasted a trip across town! Then I had to the bank and they verified the charges) For BOTH Orders This was AFTER you sent me an e-mail saying that order ******* had been successfully canceled, by the way. Even if your policy was to charge me for orders that you cannot complete, as soon as I click the "order" button, I would think only one charge would remain....

;
1. What I need to know now is when will I receive the 71.00 for the cancelled order.

2. When will I be notified if order ******** has been also cancelled due to being discontinued, or will you just tie up my other 71.00 until I cancel this order? Is this order going to be fufilled or not? If not, when will you release the charge? IF YOU CANNOT COMPLETE ORDER *******, PLEASE CANCEL IT. IF IT CAN BE DELIVERED, PLEASE DELIVER IT.

3. Why was I charged for either of these orders before you had the items in stock?

4. Since you tied up my money I am now unable to place a different order in place of The Criterion Hitchcock Box Set by 12/5 and take advantage of your 20% discount. There were several other things I would have bought, but I refuse to buy them at normal price because you tied my money up until the sale was over!

Roy28
12-04-03, 08:04 PM
When you check out a temporary hold for the amount of the charge is placed on your credit card - Your available credit is decreased by that amount, but the charge isn't actually applied until the item is shipped and the retailer confirms the charge. After a certain amount of time (around a week I think, possibly longer) the temporary charge will expire and and the amount will be applied back to your available credit. Almost every store does this - it's just to verify that you have the available funds at the time you place your order.

That may be what happened in this case - you haven't actually been charged - the amount of the order(s) have just been applied against your available credit to ensure the funds are there when/if the item ships. If they don't ship, the temp charge(s) will expire automatically and be applied back to your available credit. I don't know if DDD can have the temporary charge removed early or not, I guess it's possible.

Either way it sucks, since your funds are tied up and temporarily unavailable, but if this is the case at least you won't have to go through the hassle of having to get DDD to issue a refund.

Fed-Ex Pope
12-04-03, 08:24 PM
I think that pretty accurately describes what has happned so far. I kind of wish I had known that the "discontinued item" bug had happened (but then again, I did order an item on he verge of discontinuation, so why WOULD I think it was a bug?) I won't bother them again with another email since they must be busy, but hopefully they will understand how everything kind of fell into place....Though I still think DDD should make it clear that although TECHNICALLY they aren't charging before shipment, for all intents and purposes from the consumers POV it IS a charge....

But if the temporary hold on my funds will expire in roughly a week if my order is not filled, how can some others say they have had their order delayed by MONTHS? I can wait a week, sure (hell, I PLANNED on giving them the money, hence my order) but I can't afford to get by with 144 bucks sitting in limbo for months...

I now relinquish my hijacking of this thread :)

Roy28
12-04-03, 08:42 PM
But if the temporary hold on my funds will expire in roughly a week if my order is not filled, how can some others say they have had their order delayed by MONTHS? I can wait a week, sure (hell, I PLANNED on giving them the money, hence my order) but I can't afford to get by with 144 bucks sitting in limbo for months...

I now relinquish my hijacking of this thread :)

If your order is backordered for a long period of time, I don't think the charge will be held against your available credit for that whole time. I think what happens in this case it that the temp charge will still expire after the designated time period. When the item does become available to ship they will then place a real charge on your card, and it will either be accepted or declined as usual. If it's declined at that point they should contact you. At least that has been my experience.

Nick Danger
12-04-03, 10:40 PM
I had something interesting happen. I placed a big order using the discount on 11/30. I placed another order for one more title at full price on 12/1. As of 12/4, I have gotten no shipping confirmation for any discounted disks, but have received a shipping confirmation for the full-price title.

Of course, it is possible that Die Fledermaus was shipped because it is a less popular title . . .

Fed-Ex Pope
12-06-03, 06:55 PM
Just checked my bank account, both orders were refunded...I got no email from DDD, so I checked my DDD account....they deleted it! Damn...I didn't think my email was THAT mean! That's a pretty cold way of going about things, but at least I got my money back.

I heard DVD Empire is run by the same people...is that true, or are they just owned by the same big company, but run by different people? I would like to try them out, as long as I'm not going to get screwed by some vindictive DDD employee...

EDIT: When I say "they deleted it" I don't mean my order/orders...I mean their system will not even recognize my name/password! To be honest, if this is how they treat new customers (holiday rush or not) I'm glad to wipe my hands clean of them.

Roy28
12-06-03, 07:04 PM
I heard DVD Empire is run by the same people...is that true, or are they just owned by the same big company, but run by different people? I would like to try them out, as long as I'm not going to get screwed by some vindictive DDD employee...

I don't think Dvdempire is affiliated with DDD, or if they are I haven't heard anything about it. Digitaleyes and Dvdplanet (I think) are though. BTW, Dvdempire is great - SUPER fast shipping (In-stock orders usually ship within a couple of hours), good customer service, and they have coupons and free shipping.

Roy

Fed-Ex Pope
12-06-03, 07:06 PM
I will do business with them then...Thanks Roy, you've been a lot of help the last few days.