Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Beyond Good & Evil-- which version?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-03, 03:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond Good & Evil-- which version?

Hello,

I am tempted to get 'Beyond Good and Evil.' The reviews seem very positive on the whole. Generally on ign, they will do a head-to-head comparison of the same game on various platforms.

They have yet to do this for this game though. Has anyone heard of any differences, good and bad, for this game on either X-Box or Gamecube?

I don't know which version to get!

Thank you!
Old 12-01-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
I can only imagine that the differences will be basically the same as most other games. GC is generally the worst for sound out of the three because of its lack of digital and its compression, but GC will almost always have the fastest loading times by far. Graphically GC and XBOX usually beat out PS2 slightly, and about 80% of the time they say that XBOX is slightly ahead of GC. For the most part it really comes down to which controller you want to use while playing it. For example, I don't care how much better it looks or sound, I can not play Madden without a PS2 controller. It just doesn't feel right.
Old 12-01-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I could've sworn that I saw an article somewhere in which Michael Ancel(the games creator) said that he preffered the GC version because the controller fit the game perfectly.
Old 12-01-03, 03:29 PM

I would wait on reviews and such for the GC version. I have read, but don't know if true, that the save file is around 160 blocks. Again, not sure if true since the game hasn't been released for the GC yet, but I would wait just in case. If it is that many blocks shame on Ubisoft, I'll end up just renting the PS2 version instead of buying the GC one eventually, if true.

*edit

This thread says it is 50 blocks for the GC save file. That is still way to damn big for an adventure game though.
Old 12-01-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I F***ing hate the size of the GC memory cards. They sooo screw you over.
Old 12-01-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nintendo's website says it takes 20 blocks to save. I still haven't filled up my 251 card yet.

If you have a choice, get the GC or X-Box one, the differences between those two is most likely miniscule like Prince of Persia before it. IGN has reviews for both, and I read them and didn't notice any particular quirks about the versions. IGN might have their head to head comparision shortly, but I say get whichever one you want, the game is awesome I hear.
Old 12-02-03, 02:43 AM

I usually lean towards the box, but this one may go the ps2 route. My XBOX needs a break!!
Old 12-02-03, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by noonan4224
I can only imagine that the differences will be basically the same as most other games. GC is generally the worst for sound out of the three because of its lack of digital and its compression, but GC will almost always have the fastest loading times by far. Graphically GC and XBOX usually beat out PS2 slightly, and about 80% of the time they say that XBOX is slightly ahead of GC. For the most part it really comes down to which controller you want to use while playing it.
What he said - except for a few things... for one, I wouldn't say it all comes down to which controller you prefer - it's certainly a factor - but for me, it's not the deciding one. Also - in IGNs head to heads - GC's load times are often a bit quicker than Xbox, but it's usually by an insignifigant amount rather than "by far." Both GC and Xbox usually beat the hell out of PS2 in load times and depending on the developer, graphically - the Xbox ranges from being far better than both GC and PS2 to being about as good as GC (both being better than PS2) - there are occasions where the GC version has better graphics and there have even been head to heads where the PS2 is given a nod for having better graphics... I'm sure it has alot to do with which games you're looking at. This being a game with development roots on the PC - I imagine the Xbox will have an edge over the other two in this department.

I played the PC demo and it's a great looking game - it has a platformy look with alot of detail and it's a helluva lot of fun.
Old 12-02-03, 02:25 PM
Cool New Member

The game does look great, and I appreciate everyone's advice, thank you!
Old 01-05-04, 09:26 AM

Gamecube version takes 55 blocks of memory. Back of the game case says 20 but is wrong. I'm not quite sure what takes up all that file size, unless it's the pictures you take take of things and keep if you want. That should be an optional save file though like how created racers were in F-Zero GX.
Old 01-05-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, the game has been discontinued. Get it while you can.
Old 01-05-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
So which version ended up being the version to get?
Old 01-05-04, 11:59 AM

discontinued? didn't it just come out?
Old 01-05-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by warcp
It did, but the game has not sold very well. This is how today's game market is. If it's not a hit out the door, discontinue and cut your losses.
Old 01-05-04, 12:08 PM

I mean literally just came out? Like weeks ago. Do they really dump out on games this quickly?
Old 01-05-04, 12:52 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought this and read reviews ahead of time and the break down was as follows.

X-box- best graphics and sound hands down.

GC- close to x-box but doesn't handle some of the special effects as well (an no DD 5.1 sound obviously).

PS2- worst of the bunch, has lower quality textures and some slowdown.
Old 01-05-04, 12:54 PM
Retired

I mean literally just came out? Like weeks ago. Do they really dump out on games this quickly?
Might have,the PS2 version was/is (not sure which) $9.99 at Circuit City and I just picked up the X-box version at Game Crazy yesterday for $19.99 (think all three versions are that price there).
Old 01-05-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The game got great reviews. It was marketed very heavily. All of my game magazines had huge ad inserts for this game. Too bad it's already discontinued. I didn't buy this game, and I won't buy it for $10 either (well, at least the PS2 version - I'll buy the Xbox version for $10).

The problem is that there are so many good games available & just not enough time to play. Sometimes I'm tempted to just quit my job, take a year off and just play games. I have enough money saved up that I could pull it off easily, but... I've done it before and it doesn't help! At the end of the year I just wanted to keep playing. It didn't help get the gaming mentality out of my system.
Old 01-06-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joshic
The game got great reviews. It was marketed very heavily. All of my game magazines had huge ad inserts for this game. Too bad it's already discontinued. I didn't buy this game, and I won't buy it for $10 either (well, at least the PS2 version - I'll buy the Xbox version for $10).

The problem is that there are so many good games available & just not enough time to play. Sometimes I'm tempted to just quit my job, take a year off and just play games. I have enough money saved up that I could pull it off easily, but... I've done it before and it doesn't help! At the end of the year I just wanted to keep playing. It didn't help get the gaming mentality out of my system.
Not to get completely off-topic, but when i was younger and poorer, the most amount of games i would buy would probably be 3 or 4 a year. I played the hell out of those games though, and enjoyed every last little tidbit. Nowadays, i have a flood of at least 6 games every month and i usually don't play many of them to 100% completion like i used to do.
Old 01-07-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beyond Good & Evil has some of the weirdest design decisions I've ever seen, in terms of aspect ratios and graphics support.

Consider:
PS2: worst graphics, but supports 480p and 16:9 widescreen. no pro logic, dts or dolby digital.
GCN: better graphics than PS2, but does not support 480p. does support 16:9 widescreen and pro logic 2.
Xbox: best graphics. 480p support. dolby digital support. But no 16:9 widescreen support. the games runs in a freakin 4:3 letterbox! What the heck?!

I have the Xbox version and I'm going to play it in Zoom mode. It is the first video game I have ever heard of that runs in a 4:3 letterbox. Really, really strange and stupid at the same time.
Old 01-07-04, 12:02 PM
Retired

All version play in 4:3 letter box I'm pretty sure.

I'm not that fond of it either. I've only played for 5 mins or so (just to make sure it worked as it's on the back burner behind Halo and Silent Hill 2).

I'll adjust, but I prefer 4:3 games on my 27" Wega.
Old 01-07-04, 12:06 PM

I finished the game this morning, time was 13 hours 20 minutesish for 100% completion. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it heh. I was completely disappointed in the ending as usual. When you build up your game as a supposed great and involving storyline and make it look like a widescreen movie on normal TV's for the cinematic effect, don't fudge up the stupid ending of the game.
Old 01-07-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

according to IGN, it is not discontinued but...

January 05, 2004 - In recent weeks readers on the IGN message boards have raised questions about the retail status of Ubisoft's action-adventure Beyond Good & Evil. Some posters claimed to have purchased the title for Nintendo's GameCube console at a dramatically reduced price. Others alleged that managers at several videogame retailers had told them the game had been "discontinued."

IGN today contacted Ubisoft in an attempt to clear all of the rumors up.
It turns out that poor sales of BG&E have forced the publisher to reduce the price of the game on all consoles to $19.99, a fraction of its previous cost. However, the game has not been discontinued on any platform, according to the company.

"It's not discontinued. Any retailer who wants to carry it can buy it from us as usual," Ubisoft's vice president of marketing Tony Kee told IGN today. "Electronics Boutique has decided to stop buying the GameCube version of the game. If you want to know why, you would have to ask them, but as far as Ubisoft is concerned, the game is widely available on all formats. If people can't get it on EB's website, they can certainly get it on ours."