DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Scam pulled in Better Luck Tomorrow

big whoppa
12-01-03, 12:50 AM
I just saw this DVD the other night. In it, two characters go into a computer store and buy a ton of hardware. Later, one of the characters along with an accomplice return to the same store with stickers that they apply to new items they put into their shopping cart. Waiting for a different sales clerk, they return those items and clerk accepts them with the receipt.

So how do they get away with it? Stickers on the boxes is proof they bought it from that store? The store doesn't have surveillance cameras that can pick up on them returning items they didn't buy? Or was this something the movie neglected to go into detail so the viewer is to simply accept them as thieves? And no, I'm not interested in pulling off the same scam.

V-ism
12-01-03, 03:42 AM
Stores like Best Buy and Walmart have a person near the entrance that will put a sticker on your items if you are bringing them in from outside. That's so they know you didn't just pick it up from the store to return. I suppose you can get away with it if you knew what type of stickers they use and what color each day, and they have lazy workers.

big whoppa
12-01-03, 06:26 AM
That still leaves the surveillance cameras. It still seems too easy to be caught. Registers should pick up the shortage later.

Cusm
12-01-03, 10:22 AM
A physical inventory is the only way this would get caught, nothing to do with the registers.

Surveilance is only good if you reveiw it, and companies only do this when they suspect something. This is a scam that happens all the time. This is why there are stickers in the first place, to id items brought in versus items just picked up. More stores have customer service in the front to help cut down on this.

Jazzbutcher
12-01-03, 12:28 PM
I'm in retail and scammers try to pull this one all the time.

Coincidentally, a buddy of mine was the Executive Producer of this flick. :)

Pants
12-01-03, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by big whoppa
That still leaves the surveillance cameras. It still seems too easy to be caught. This isn't Caesar's Palace they don't have 20 people watching the video screens all day.

phantom_azazel
12-01-03, 04:47 PM
i read about a kid bragging about his friend doing this the other day, he bought a 1 gig stick of ram at best buy and returned his 16meg stick, got all his money back, next day he goes to do the same thing, and gets his old stick back again

DonnachaOne
12-01-03, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by phantom_azazel
i read about a kid bragging about his friend doing this the other day, he bought a 1 gig stick of ram at best buy and returned his 16meg stick, got all his money back, next day he goes to do the same thing, and gets his old stick back again
You "read about him". Indeed.

;)