Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HT help. I'm looking for the little speakers that sound really clear and kick.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HT help. I'm looking for the little speakers that sound really clear and kick.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-03, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HT help.

Hello all i'm looking for the little speakers that sound really clear and kick. I like the bose cubes but there 2500.00 i have about 1,000 spend need everything but a dvd player and tv. thanks alot.
Old 12-01-03, 08:59 PM

you can do much better that Bose acoustimass or whatever they are calling them these days.

Try paradigm or NHT or Klipsch or one of the other popular brands around here. start with a decent receiver and a set of quality budget speakers like PSB , that should get you cranking at a decent price point. Go to a home theater dealer and give them all a listen. be patient and evaluate carefully. Listen for bottom end clarity, and smooth transitions in sound field. There is no one magic bullet recommendation, because everyone has preferences and tastes to match.
Old 12-01-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NHT SuperZeros will really kick. Justmatch them up with a decent sub and a good high-current amp. Their price can't be beat for clear, accurate speakers that image nicely. Great for music as well as HT.

There are some other good small speakers out there, but be careful--many small speakers just don't sound excellent.

[I won't even comment on the B-Word....]
Old 12-02-03, 12:56 PM

I'll second the Paradigm recomendation.
Old 12-02-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

stay away from bose...they are crap!
Old 12-05-03, 10:13 AM

Here are the Paradigm Cinema Series. Not quite as small as the Bose "cubes", but they come with wall brackets. When I took a friend in to listen to Paradigm's (I already had Monitor series), the dealer played these for the fun of it, and happened to have Bose cubes that a customer had told them to do what they liked with after he replaced them. So, they set them up in their demo room - they Cinema's blew the Bose out of the water. I don't remember prices for sure, but I'm almost certain you can get an entire 5.1 setup for under $1000. If you're not looking for a full setup, you should be able to get just fronts for less than $200. (again, I don't remember specific MSRP prices)

There's a dealer locator on the website - go give them a listen! (btw, don't bother looking, Paradigm does not authorize web dealers) Don't listen to the bigger Paradigm models unless you'd rather spend more money. (I have the Monitor 7/cc370/adp370/ps1000)
Old 12-05-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: HT help.

Originally posted by issues
Hello all i'm looking for the little speakers that sound really clear and kick. I like the bose cubes but there 2500.00 i have about 1,000 spend need everything but a dvd player and tv. thanks alot.
Bose does not make a speaker system with the cubes that sells for $2500. You are obviously looking at a Lifestyle 28 complete home theater system, not just speakers!

The following Bose Acoustimass home theater speaker systems are available:

Acoustimass 6 (5 single cubes and an amplified bass module with a single 5 1/4" driver). Designed for an apartment or condo sized den area and 5.1 surround.

Acoustimass 10 (5 double cubes and an amplified bass module with two 5 1/4" drivers). Designed for a larger more traditional sized den/greatroom area and 5.1 surround.

Acoustimass 15 (5 double cubes and an amplified bass module with three 5 1/4" drivers). Designed for a larger more traditional sized den/greatroom area and 5.1 surround.

Acoustimass 16 (6 double cubes and an amplified bass module with three 5 1/4" drivers). Designed for a larger more traditional sized den/greatroom area and 6.1 surround.

None of the Acoustimass bass modules are subwoofers! This is a popular misconception. The do have LFE inputs though.

6.1 can be accomplished with the 6, 10 & 15 with the addition of the VCS-10 center channel for the front and moving the front center cube to become the rear center.

Just thought I'd clear up the error in price for the speaker systems and detail what was available from Bose.

Sonicflood
Old 12-05-03, 09:57 PM

Anthony Gallo speakers are very nice for the size.

http://www.roundsound.com/products/micro_adiva.html
Old 12-06-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Onecall has the SuperZ's for just $75 each. (The slightly larger SuperOne's are only $110!) And the SuperCenter is $160. I can't imagine a better set of speakers at that price. The small NHTs are known for their clarity and accuracy. Just match them up with a good sub and a high-current amp (Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon/H-K, etc.---*not* a Sony!) and you'll be *very* happy with the sound!!!

Last edited by drmoze; 12-06-03 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

z-680
Old 12-09-03, 04:41 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

stay away from Bose, I third the paradigm recommedation
Old 12-09-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
stay away from Bose, I third the paradigm recommedation
What he said, but I fourth the Paradigm reccomendation.