Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

M: Fritz Lang R2 2-Disc Special Edition?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-30-03, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Im interested in ordering the New (as of October) 2-Disc Eureka release of M from the UK. All of the info is on www.amazon.co.uk and it seems really nice. A very positive review at:

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/m.htm

Does anyone have this edition? Care to comment on it?

I tried to find this title on www.cd-wow.com but couldn't seems to find it. I know it's kind of difficult to locate a title called "M". But, I've heard they're the cheapest around shipping to the US. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for the input!

Last edited by exparr0t; 11-30-03 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 05:16 PM

cdwow is kinda like a clearance store. They may not have what you're looking for but if they do it'll be a reasonable amount to a wackload cheaper than anywhere else. There's a good chance they don't have the disc - thus why you couldn't find it. It blows for me too as I'm waiting for it to show up there so I can order it.

For shipping Bensonsworld.co.uk has the cheapest @ 1/2 a pound (50 pense) but don't know how they rack up for total price compared to Amazon and Blackstar.

Cheers!
Gordo
Old 12-01-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to let you know, Criterion is working on Re-Releasing "M" as a special edition (most likely 2-discs).
Old 12-01-03, 09:22 PM

Wow, great news heliosphann. Where'd you hear this? Any more information available? New Transfer I assume? Thanks!
Old 12-02-03, 02:30 AM

I can't see the great news.
Eureka edition of M is worth the best CC efforts, and if Criterion is goin' to re-release M ... believe me, they can't beat Eureka's edition, nor as quality of the transfer, nor as quality and quantity of the extras, furthermore with the money CC would eventually exact you can buy 2 copies of the Eureka edition...

My Collection

Last edited by mdm67; 12-02-03 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-02-03, 09:01 AM

i've seen in hmv a double pack of M (special 2 disc edition) and Metropolis (special 2 disc edition) available for about £19.99 - don't know if this is just available in HMV or everywhere.
Old 12-02-03, 12:00 PM

Watch for Bensonsworld. I've got from them the single DVD edition of M and Metropolis for only a couple of £ last year.

The 2 discs SE are pretty recent but I do not see why Bensonsworld will not offer them at a good price soon.
Old 12-03-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mdm67
I can't see the great news.
Eureka edition of M is worth the best CC efforts, and if Criterion is goin' to re-release M ... believe me, they can't beat Eureka's edition, nor as quality of the transfer, nor as quality and quantity of the extras, furthermore with the money CC would eventually exact you can buy 2 copies of the Eureka edition...

My Collection
Well say what you will, but I'll put my money on Criterion any day...
Old 12-03-03, 04:48 AM

Heliosphann:

Of course I say what I want as you do what you want with your money and your DVD collection, there are enough threads about the CC sickness at dvdtalk and it's unnecessary to have one in the international dvd talk too.
Overall I prefer facts to opinions:
M was restaurated in 2002 and the British company Eureka Home Video used this restored master for the DVD edition we're talkin' about. The Eureka edition has 2 discs

Disc One - (with fully animated menus)

"M" - Feature: German with English Subtitle Selection
Full length Audio Commentary
Digital Restoration Documentary - Peter Campbell

Disc Two - (with fully animated menus)

Audio interview: Peter Bogdanovich with Fritz Lang
Fritz Lang" Documentary
"Lending Order to Horror" Visual Essay by R.Dixon Smith
Film Restoration and Comparison - Martin Koerber and Torsten Kaiser
Photo Gallery with animated slideshow .
Posters, Theatrical Programs . . .
Set Designs and final Screen comparisons
Animated Biographies, Historical backgrounds . .

That's all, when I say CC can't better this edition it's not an opinion, it's a fact, unless CC have connections with the outer world so they can obtain a commentary track by Fritz Lang, they can only produce a similar DVD edition, so I really can't understand your blind love for CC and their absurd prices.
I had my Eureka edition delivered to my door for 21 euros, for once I'm glad to say **** CC!!

My Collection
Old 12-03-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As someone who owns the R2 'M' 2 disc SE and previously owned the Criterion edition i can only agree with what mdm67 says....whilst i appreciate Criterion release products of a very high standard just because a release bears the 'Criterion' banner doesn't necessarily mean it is the best possible release available on the market.
Old 12-03-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blind love or not, Criterion could pull out all the stops on this one. After all they've already released M once, why would they release another half assed edition??? Just for the restoration? No I don't think so, it'll be packed. Wether or not it'll be better than the Eureka edition, well that's yet to be seen. They also most likely know what the Eureka edition has in terms of content, etc... So then infact have the upper hand in this game, not Eureka.
Old 12-03-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Heliosphann
They also most likely know what the Eureka edition has in terms of content, etc... So then infact have the upper hand in this game, not Eureka.
Very possibly....but at the same time is it fair to assume that Eureka may have access to certain features that through licensing/rights etc that Criterion may not be able to use and vice-versa?
Old 12-03-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is true... And what may happen is Criterion will have equally as good extra's, but completely different than what's on the Eureka DVD.
Old 12-06-03, 06:20 PM

On a related note Eureka is releasing Murnau's Last Laugh in Feb.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=6207
Old 12-07-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm... I was just about to pick up the F.W. Murnau Box set that has The Last Laugh. Probably still will though...
Old 12-07-03, 03:14 AM

and I could add that Eureka will release:

- The testament of dr. Mabuse in March
- Murnau's Tartuff in May
- Die Nibelungen in June

My Collection

Last edited by mdm67; 12-07-03 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-30-04, 01:53 PM

exparr0t, if you're still out there, CDwow has the Eureka version right now for only $15.95!
Old 04-30-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

criterion has mentioned to me that new edition is going to be A LOT better than the old one. They didn't go into specifics, but i'm counting on a nice new edition.
Old 04-30-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Sunday Morning
criterion has mentioned to me that new edition is going to be A LOT better than the old one. They didn't go into specifics, but i'm counting on a nice new edition.
I'm still holding back on the R2 until Criterion details are announced.
Old 05-01-04, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by mdm67
and I could add that Eureka will release:

- The testament of dr. Mabuse in March
- Murnau's Tartuff in May
- Die Nibelungen in June

My Collection
I have the Kino edition of "Die Nibelungen," which I love but is a little skimpy on the extras. Anyone know if the Eureka edition will contain anything not in the Kino? I would especially love a commentary track by an authority on the film.

Best,
Scott
Old 05-01-04, 07:33 AM

Bleddyn Williams, thanks a bunch for keeping an eye out and thinking of me. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I bought it in December a couple of weeks after my post from amazon.uk ... and have been enjoying it ever since 8)

I don't know what Criterion can do to improve this release, but Im looking forward to seeing them try. Thanks again.
Old 05-01-04, 08:49 AM

There's a review of the UK R2 release of M HERE

Hope it helps....
Old 05-02-04, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by exparr0t
I don't know what Criterion can do to improve this release, but Im looking forward to seeing them try. Thanks again. [/B]

I'm hoping that Criterion improves on the sound, which is a nightmare of digital noise reduction overkill! I don't seem to be in the majority on this, but I've worked with enough of these programs to recognize the way all ambient noises have been sucked out of this in the name of noise reduction, which leaves a tinny edge to the dialogue, and "swishing" artifacts left to all background noises.
Something similar was done to the 1931 Frankenstein on the original (R1) DVD release here, and all you have to do is compare it to the (mercifully) remastered, and less mucked about-with version on the new "monster legacy" releases.
Old 05-07-04, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
exparr0t, if you're still out there, CDwow has the Eureka version right now for only $15.95!
Could you possible post a link to this? I have a hard time finding it at CDWow. Thanks...
Old 05-07-04, 08:28 AM

Here you go... the trick is to search for "fritz lang."

http://www2.cd-wow.net/detail_result...duct_code=9644