Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Repairing game consoles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repairing game consoles.

I just repaired my first Gamecube and I may have the possibility to repair more consoles, including PS2 and X-Box. Anyone heard of any books or websites that deal with game console repair?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-03, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What problem with the gamecube did you have?
Old 11-30-03, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by menaz
What problem with the gamecube did you have?
It had a disc read error. I adjusted the laser potentiometer per these helpful instructions:

http://pub94.ezboard.com/fgameconsol...picID=75.topic
Old 11-30-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to be able to fix most of the old cartridge systems but these new ones are way too complicated for me
Old 12-01-03, 07:35 PM
Cool New Member

Sure would like to repair my cube.....

Yeh, I tried the pub 94 fix but to no avail. I took the cube apart about as far as you can but w/ no luck. I spoke to a friend of mine who is very good w electronics and he stated that it sounds like the disc spinning motor is slowing down, thus the loss of data tracking after a few minutes of it working, (cant read disc error).
I was able to snag another cube on black friday at walmart for $79, not a total loss, but if ANYONE has any other suggestions as to info on anything I missed, a post would be greatly appreciated; before I trade the broken one at gamestop for $25.

Last edited by TendoBoy; 12-01-03 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 06:24 AM

Re: Sure would like to repair my cube.....

Originally posted by TendoBoy
Yeh, I tried the pub 94 fix but to no avail. I took the cube apart about as far as you can but w/ no luck. I spoke to a friend of mine who is very good w electronics and he stated that it sounds like the disc spinning motor is slowing down, thus the loss of data tracking after a few minutes of it working, (cant read disc error).
I was able to snag another cube on black friday at walmart for $79, not a total loss, but if ANYONE has any other suggestions as to info on anything I missed, a post would be greatly appreciated; before I trade the broken one at gamestop for $25.
The only think I can think of right now would be for you to find a junked Gamecube that still had a working dvd drive motor and swap it with yours.
Old 12-02-03, 08:08 AM
Cool New Member

Maybe I'll keep it.....

Actually after I messed w/ the cube I did find that while I'm playing and the disc read error comes up, all I have to do the make it continue working is to open the lid and close it again and it starts back to where it paused/ stopped- this does get to be a pain in the butt every 3-5 minutes though. Maybe I'll hook it up next to my computer so I'll be on top of it when it stops to reset it. I sure hate to get rid of it.