Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anamorphic on WS tv question:

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-28-03, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that a 2.35:1 movie shown on a WS TV will produce the black bars but when you show a 4x3 signal you get the light grey bars at the side?
Old 11-28-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A) Because the 2.35 scope is wider than your 1.78 Widescreen TV

B) Because the 1.33 signal is not as wide, therefore instead of stretching, it places the grey bars, preserving the aspect ratio. I believe most widescreen sets offer a stretch mode as well to stretch the image all the way across.
Old 11-28-03, 09:14 PM

A) You do not understand my question.

B) You definitly do not understand my quesiton.

I should have been more clear, why Black one way and Grey the other. Why not either Black both ways or grey both ways.

Sorry bout that.
Old 11-28-03, 10:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Your TV is generating the black bars, your player is generating the grey bars. (This depends on whether you have a "squeeze mode" on your set.)

If you can see a big difference between them you should calibrate your player and TV.
Old 11-28-03, 11:24 PM

"Your player is generating the black bars,"

But even if you do not have the player connected and are just watching a TV broadcase you still get the Grey bars on the side. I just want to know why they chose grey bars for the side instead of black? Is there more even wear on the screen then just with black.
Old 11-28-03, 11:29 PM
X
Administrator

Oh, so you're talking about the 4:3 mode of your widescreen set?

The bright grey bars are generated by your TV as kind of an average color signal so that your set will equalize the burn-in with that caused by the 4:3 picture if you watch a lot of that format.
Old 11-29-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4:3 modes on most widescreen TVs use grey bars for the reason X mentions above. The black bars on DVDs with an AR greater than 16:9 or 1.78:1 are actually part of the image on the DVD. If you had watched this movie on a 4:3 TV you might notice that there are two sets of black bars on the top and bottom. The bars on top and bottom of the actually movie might be a different shade of black than the ones at the screen edge. These ones at the screen edge are generated by your DVD player and are not part of the DVD image.
Old 12-01-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My 16X9 TV has black side bars. It's a CRT set. Why do the RP models tend to use gray side bars, while the tube sets use black?

It doesn't seem to make sense why RP would use gray side bars but still have black on the top and bottom when watching a 2.35 to 1 film.

What am I missing here?
Old 12-01-03, 08:08 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
What am I missing here?
Not all RPTVs use grey bars on the side. But the ones that do, do that in case of a high amount of 4:3 viewing. And single tube CRTs are much less susceptible to burn-in than RPTVs.

I believe the manufacturers correctly figured that people watching widescreen movies wouldn't put up with grey bars while watching that kind of material.
Old 12-01-03, 08:58 PM

My understanding is that the grey bars cause less burn-in than black bars... (in regards to the grey bars in 4x3 mode). I'd rather watch tv in stretched mode rather than watch it with grey bars.

another example of signals generating the "bars" rather than being generated by the TV.... most daytime shows broadcast over the OTA Digital channels (HDTV), have black bars in them (picture looks normal, artificial bars generated by signal)

also, i agree with X... i couldn't imagine watching a 2.35 movie with grey bars on TOP and Bottom.