Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do taunts in online playing aggravate you?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reason for the topic is that for the past few nights I have been playing Call of Duty Multiplayer (PC). Tell me I'm just being quite sensitive (mind you being a half-Caucasian/half-asian) that some racial taunts are being hurled at during Team Deathmatch between the Allies (British) & Axis (Germans).

It just so happens the map is situated in some kind of concentration camp and the Germans are winning, basically boxing the British soldiers into a corner. Some players on the German side start throwing comments like "Back to the camp, Jews!!" and "Forget gas chambers, we'll all kill you here"

I know players may get into the thick of the fight and get all excited and everything but comments like this should not even be said.

I don't mind the given "You guys suck" or "suck my ****, losers" but sometimes the comments do get out of hand.

Has anyone gotten bothered by taunts (racial or otherwise)?
Old 11-25-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One time, a guy said my mom was fat... I responded with "How appropriate, you fight like a cow!" His comeback was classic though..."Oh yeah?" But seriously...

The problem with the internet is that you are exposed to the mass stupidity of society, without the social restrictions of the real world.
Old 11-25-03, 01:29 PM

Yeah that gets real tiring, and fast. The anonymity gives people an excuse to be stupid and immature. It shows the need to find a good group of players and stick with them.

That's the upside of XBOX live is you can find 'friends' and play only with that group. Plus you can give negative feedback to jerks and @$$holes.

Hopefully some of the idiocy can be alleviated by people running the servers. Day of Defeat servers regularly have rules about 'no racist remarks or you get banned". That seems to help some.
Old 11-25-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On Xbox if im playing an A-Hole,

1,i remove my headphones
2,dis-connect from that game and leave bad feed back-

i doupt you can do number 2so that leaves #1......

good luck-
Old 11-25-03, 01:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've been playing a lot of Call of Duty multiplayer lately, and it's actually a lot better than most other online games. The community as a whole seems relatively mature.

One of the biggest jerks I ever ran into was playing America's Army. When he joined the game, he made a big deal about the fact that he was actually in the army, that he knew the game left and right, blah blah blah.

Anyway, anytime anybody on the team made a mistake he would go NUTS. "You **********!!! What the **** are you doing?" That kind of stuff. What's funny is that the guy SUCKED. He would always be the first to die, although it was NEVER his fault. "That dude must be using a hack!" was a frequent excuse.

It was amusing for a while, but eventually I found another game.
Old 11-25-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
"That dude must be using a hack!"
wtf h@x0R?!?!

Old 11-25-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tenaciousdave
One time, a guy said my mom was fat... I responded with "How appropriate, you fight like a cow!" His comeback was classic though..."Oh yeah?" But seriously...

The problem with the internet is that you are exposed to the mass stupidity of society, without the social restrictions of the real world.
classic!

I'm not clever enough to think of good taunts on the spot. I usually think of good ones after I've already finished the game.
Old 11-25-03, 02:58 PM
RVP

I figured this would show up here eventually.
Old 11-25-03, 04:07 PM

My standard response to these dopes is "Calm down Beavis." If they don't, they get the boot if I'm hosting or admin of a server.

Thong
Old 11-25-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
I just ignore them.

BF1942 is where I encountered it the most. And I'm always better than they are. I haven't ever encountered an ******* who could play the game better than I could.
Old 11-25-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Welcome to the world of Online Gaming™. A vast and wondrous place where everyone acts like 12 year old kids who just learned their first swear words. A place where people are obligated to act like idiots and where skill is rewarded by such phrases as "you #@$# haxor" and one might hear someone say "R U a Girrl!? Giv me teh pics!!". We hope you enjoy your stay, happy camping!

The future of gaming is here!
Old 11-25-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah. ****ing *******s. **** their ****ing ****s, man.