DVD Talk
I need Xbox DVD drive help [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : I need Xbox DVD drive help

Michael Corvin
11-24-03, 07:19 PM
Alright I used my BB replacement plan this weekend and took my Xbox back for a new one. GTA kept locking up on me. I boiled the disc and that seemed to work for a few weeks but this past weekend found me back at square one. Shoddy equipment.

Not a bad deal really, gone is the BIG daddy controller for a new S one. Bonus Tetris and Clone Wars games. And Super-Bonus, I get a newer drive that 1. reads CD-Rs and 2. doesn't have problems. Right?

WRONG! I ended up with the same exact damn drive! I lost save games and 100+ songs that took forever to transfer to get basically the same friggin' Xbox. Have I had a problem yet? No, I've only played it for a few hours. But I DO NOT want this Thompson drive. It is a proven piece of garbage. I want the Samsung or the other one.

I want to return this one as well, but my question is this: Is there a way to tell from the package/UPC/or serial #, which drive it contains?

lastly BB's replacement policy is kinda shady. I get to the counter and the girl shows me the fine print that it can only be used once(outside of the 90 MW). I bought a 2 year warranty and even though there was still a year left, since I traded it in, that year is just lost.

tommy28
11-24-03, 08:11 PM
see the end of this thread!!pics of the 3 drives.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328875&highlight=Samsung

i think they should only be selling the samsung drive,

if you got one of the others-id return it....the samsung plays just about everything and is supposed to be the best.

good luck-

Michael Corvin
11-25-03, 05:10 AM
Excellent. ending in 6 it is. I might have to head back to BB in the near future.

darkside
11-25-03, 08:19 AM
If only I had known about the Thomson drive issue when I had my Xbox. Not sure it was common knowledge then. I was so frustrated by my PS2 and Xbox hardware problems I gave up on both. I may give Xbox another try though if the Samsung drives are really reliable. It would be worth it just for ESPN Basketball and the GTA3 bundle.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0