Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill Action Figures in 2004

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-24-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/3568.html
Old 11-24-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool news. Picked up NECA's Tron and tron 2.0 figures and many others. good figures, should be nice.
Old 11-24-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Sounds good (the NECA Tron figures were well done), but I would love to see a company like Sideshow get the rights and do their usually great work on some 12" figures (I can dream, I guess).
Old 11-24-03, 04:46 AM
Banned

Being a big toy collector...all I gots to say is...HELL YEAH!!
Old 11-24-03, 08:39 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Kick ass!!!
Old 11-24-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I didn't care for the movie a but I am curious to see how the figures look.
Old 11-24-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boo.

Fun movie 'n' all, but some movies just don't need dolls, in my opinion.
Old 11-24-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll take a lifesize Lucy..
Old 11-24-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will O-ren have a removable skullcap?
Old 11-24-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Is there a life size bride? And if so, does it come with a jar of Vaseline?
Old 11-24-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait for these. Now I can have my Lucy Liu figure make out with my Zhang Ziyi figure, probably the closest I'll ever get to seeing that fanstasy come true

I didn't read the article but the same toyline is also putting out Pulp Fiction figures, & the first official figures of the Ghostbusters movies next year.
Old 11-24-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by devilshalo
Is there a life size bride? And if so, does it come with a jar of Vaseline?
Yep, complete with the random liberated pubes.
Old 11-24-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Boo.

Fun movie 'n' all, but some movies just don't need dolls, in my opinion.
yeah, hopefully the secret police wont force me to buy two of each...

you always have the choice of not buying them. Atleast this way we have a choice OF buying them.
Old 11-24-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
you always have the choice of not buying them. Atleast this way we have a choice OF buying them.
For some films, it just seems to cheapen the film. Reservir Dogs? A Christmas Story? It doesn't seem suited. The films, while still good films, have now become even bigger commodities.
Old 11-24-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

yes, but by having the option to buying a christmas story figures, does the film become any worse? I don't see how the marketing can really effect the value of the film. So to say that if the film hadn't had action figures that everything would have been 10x's cooler then with figures out. I'm glad they are giving those who do like to buy action figures the option of this.

Besides that, the Res Dogs figures came out what, a whole 10 years after the film was released in theaters.. I'm sorry, but if after 10 years of the film being out, some plastic figures on the shelves of a few toy stores ruins your viewing experience of the film then you have some personal issues to work out.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 11-24-03 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 09:28 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Put me down for one of these:
http://www.tirani.net/images/chiaki_kb02.jpg
Old 11-24-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can see where DonnachaOne is coming from. It can be easily likened to having your favorite song suddenly appear in an auto commerical. Somehow the film is tied into all these other things and is not it's own entity. Although something like this compares in no way to the marketing glut of The Cat in the Hat. Needless to say, providing these characters look decent, I will definitely pick them up as this film has truly blown me away and brought out the fanboy in me. Hell, I'm looking to go back to the dojo after a three year absence!
Old 11-25-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jack - reread my post.

Scorpio - thanks for understanding.
Old 11-25-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am almost as much of a toy geek as I am a film geek, so toys based on a favourite film always get my interest...IF done right. So, Reservoir Dogs figures, in theory, sounded good to me, but unfortunately, I felt that Palisades dropped the ball on the head sculpts for those figures, so they were disappointing (with a couple exceptions).
Old 11-25-03, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

donnacha, not a rip on you or anything, but I don't see how WELL DONE figures from a film would cheapen the film itself. the whole "sell out" mentality can be understandable but in reality, it's more along the lines of personal issues then anything else. Say when the band you followed for a while hits main stream and is played on every radio station, you can get annoyed a little, but it still shouldn't take your enjoyment out of the figures.

In every case, after market sells are something that the copy right holders want, us collectors demand and well, everyone can benefit from.
Old 11-26-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

donnacha, not a rip on you or anything, but I don't see how WELL DONE figures from a film would cheapen the film itself. the whole "sell out" mentality can be understandable but in reality, it's more along the lines of personal issues then anything else. Say when the band you followed for a while hits main stream and is played on every radio station, you can get annoyed a little, but it still shouldn't take your enjoyment out of the figures.

In every case, after market sells are something that the copy right holders want, us collectors demand and well, everyone can benefit from.
Well I think that I see what Donnacha is saying here, though . . . there are some movies/shows for which toys are appropriate and some that are not. Transformers was completely suited for it's toy line (I played with many as a kid ). G.I. Joe was also a very good fit between show and product line. The Star Wars movies and toylines also did well together. I think it has to do with the development of the movie/show "world" and the "replayability" of the characters outside of the original stories.

When you throw toys on to a movie that isn't suited to it, you are right in that it doesn't actually change the quality of the film, but I can see how it removes some of the specialness of it. I think that Reservoir Dogs is a prime example. It is an excellent artistic movie. The release of action figures didn't change the movie any, but it was sort of a let down. It took a movie that had seperated itself from "the herd" and, by commercializing it, brought it back in a little bit so that it didn't stand out as well. It was one step closer to being "just another film out to make money anyway that it can".

It doesn't actually hurt the movie itself, but, I think, it can negatively impact the "feel" of it.

As for the rights and wants of copyright holders and consumers goes . . . drug lords want their product sold in any way possible and addicts want their crack. It doesn't make it a good idea. (I know . . . HORRIBLE analogy, but still roughly related )
Old 11-26-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

But the issue at hand is most of these toys are not even toys at all, the collecting market has grown since the days of G.I. Joe and transformers, now toys aren't just for little kids.

You have to realize that the Collectors out there now a days Want these toys. they want to set up a play set of the figures in there favorite scene, they want to position a character they loved watching in film in a certain stance and so on. Star wars is a prime example, sure those older folks who grew up with the toys are buying them for the main reason that it connects them to there childhood, but in another sense, this is a collectors market. the toys are not done in bad taste the majority of the time. Can you say that by having an Evil Dead Ash figure, it somehow makes the film more commercialized? or did the fact that there has been many different versions of the film on dvd out in itself sort of cheapen it.

We are also talking about the outlets these toys will be sold in. You wont see to many McFarlane figures in a toys r us simply because they are a bit to violent in nature. the majority of the time you need to go to the collectors markets to get these and of course, the detail is there to the point that it makes it not so much for the younger childern.

Can you say that by creating Akira in Animation cheapened it instead of having it in live action? I mean, cartoons are for kids.. no reason why to make such a violent film in cartoons only.. right. I suppose one part is that the majority see toys as something only for kids when the market has grown.

Much like the other NECA's other figrues, they never showed up at toys r us and were mainly in suncoast and other film related stores. They were in the stores that sold the video's.. people buy posters, shirts and coffee mugs with the films likeness on it, why not toys? it's all about marketing and folks can't complain when a film tries to capture a new audiance or tries to please the already existing one by offering the toys.

Which leads me back to square one.. You don't have to buy the toys. I would rather them be up on the table for those who DO want to have them instead of none at all.. get my drift.
Old 11-26-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All bets are off these days. Many toys are now being made for film fans, not kids. Now we have companies (not just US, but also Japan and HK) making toys from Monty Python films, Battle Royale, Ichi the Killer, Hero, and even Brian DePalma's Phantom of the Paradise for gods sake! And I couldn't be happier.
Old 11-26-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You have to realize that the Collectors out there now a days Want these toys. they want to set up a play set of the figures in there favorite scene, they want to position a character they loved watching in film in a certain stance and so on.
Let me put it this way . . . I probably would have liked to have had Calvin and Hobbes stuffed animaly or figures, but I've got a lot of respect for Bill Waterson deciding not to ever license them. I think the cartoons would have lost some of their "purity" had the toymakers, card makers, calander makers, t-shirt makers, etc. gotten their hands on them.
Old 11-26-03, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Their purity was lost when calvin was placed (without right) pissing on things. If the creator see's it fit, so be it, if he doesn't so be it as well. in this case, QT decided to market it. Does it change the way you feel about the film? If it does then that is your own personal issues. Like I said before.. The toys are there, you can buy them, or you can ignore them. simple as that. At the very least the collectors and those fans of the films who DO want the toys at the very least get them. Like cultshock said, companies market them at the fan films and collectors more so then little billy.

don't talk to me about film Purity when there is t-shirts, posters, hats, deals with pringles, covers to entertainment weekly, premire, etc. these things are to make a profit as well as keeping the film makers vision. both can be made.

the point about Calvin and Hobbes is if you don't do it and there is a market for it.. it will get done. It's better to have creative control on what is done.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.