Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is happening with SEGA?!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-22-03, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I'd like to say that Im a huge Sega fan and will continue to be. I've owned the genesis, an import saturn (with all the capcom/snk games), 3 DCs with many import and domestic games. That said, what is SEGA doing with all its great franchises?!

Where the hell are sequels to:
Virtua Cop (the saturn ones were the best shooters of 32 bit era!)
FIGHTERS MEGAMIX (the best 32bit fighting game period!!!!)
Nights (again, a saturn classic)
Streets of Rage
Shinobi (a la Contra: Shattered Soldier style, no 3D please)
Sonic Adventure 3 (no more ports of DC titles)
Sonic the Hedgehog (2D please)
Virtual On (that new ps2 version is a shame to the franchise)
House of the Dead 4 (ps2 w/ guncon)
Confidential Mission (ps2 w/ guncon)
Zombie Revenge (a highly unrated game)
Sega Rally 3
Daytona 3 (the original is the BEST arcade racer)
Samba De Amigo (great party game!)
Phantasy Star 4 (no online version)
Golden Axe 4 (great beat em up)

Im sure you guys can name some more.

I loved my saturn (capcom and snk are reason enough) and the DC was my fav system of all time (still great to this day....graphics still rival). I swear..... If I ran SEGA, I think I can do better at digging them outta the hole they're in. They should do ports for all systems. How well is Panzer dragoon orta, hotd3, sonic GC going to sell on 1 system? And they port over Rent a Hero???? Where are ports of HOTD1 (ugh....ugly saturn version) and Fighting Vipers 2???? I will always love sega....but it's a shame how they've fallen.
Old 11-22-03, 05:08 AM
Banned

Yeah Sega sucks pretty bad now I still love my DC however that system still god damn rules to this day. I just want the last Shenmue from sega and then they can go out of business for all I care. Sega was the shit back in the day now they just shit. I hope sega can make a big come back I'd love to see it.

PS. Whatever happed to that trigun game they was making?
Old 11-22-03, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: What is happening with SEGA?!

Virtua Cop
Crappy shooter

FIGHTERS MEGAMIX
Agreed

Nights
Agreed
Streets of Rage
Yuck

Shinobi
Played the PS2 one? Its not that bad

Sonic Adventure 3
Heard of Sonic Hereos?

Sonic the Hedgehog
You have a GBA or N-Gage? Sonic titles on both.

Virtual On (that new ps2 version is a shame to the franchise)
Thats your opinion.

House of the Dead 4 (ps2 w/ guncon)
Confidential Mission (ps2 w/ guncon)

HOTD3 is on Xbox...what, no love for the system?

Zombie Revenge
Agreed

Sega Rally 3
Yuck
Way too old.

Samba De Amigo (great party game!)
Nintendo kinda has one...Donkey Konga

Phantasy Star 4 (no online version)
No online? PS has been online for 5 years, doubt its going to change,

Golden Axe 4 (great beat em up)
Isn't this coming out for PS2?
Old 11-22-03, 12:34 PM

Re: Re: What is happening with SEGA?!

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Sega Rally 3
Yuck
Way too old.

I don't know which is more blasphemous: a "Yuck" to a Sega Rally 3, or the dismissal of a Daytona.
Old 11-22-03, 12:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I hear they are going the way of NINTENDO! Oh no!!!
Old 11-22-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know.... Sega is porting Outrun 2 to PS2 (sigh, should have been Xbox). Virtua Cop 3 is also on Xbox arcade hardware (similar to Outrun 2), but it is not getting ported either. Don't know what is wrong with them although I really enjoy Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution.
Old 11-22-03, 08:32 PM

I appreciate the reply to this thread, but....

>

I'm sorry, but I must step in.

Virtua Cop is not a bad gun game. It was an innovator, and its rivalry with Time Crisis I would equate it to Virtua Fighter vs. Tekken. Time Crisis may continue to be hot, but Virtua Cop, to any true gamer is one of the best light gun games ever. Virtua Cop 3 is supposed to come out, but it's been in talks for wayyyyy too long.

Streets of Rage...yuck? ok... you were probably not big on the 16bit games like many were. This was a phenomenal beat em up. Maybe one of the best and most influential beat em ups.

True, the shinobi PS2 game was not bad, but I wanna see a classic shinobi revisitation, kinda like how konami revisited Contra's old gameplay style. That game rules!

Sonic on N-gage doesn't count. The GBA versions are basically ports of the genesis engine and I know SEGA can make cel shaded side scrolling Sonic similar to Klonoa.....MMM Klonoa

Virtual On for PS2 (shoulda been made on the xbox)... that is my opinion, but if u ask most fans and game reviews, they'll tell you sega was a little too anxious to jump into the "Armored Core" boat, that they forget to please fans and why they lived the series in the first place: Hardcore fast paced 1 on 1 action.

Hotd3 on xbox was really great, but they should have made it for a system (PS2) that would have more success given great first party light guns and a much bigger audience.

Sega Rally 2...yuck??? again one of the innovators...the 1st great arcade rally game and made vital strides in racing history... Oh how few people know of the greatness of Sega Rally on Saturn and Sega Rally 2 on DC.

Daytona can be brought back to life. If Ridge Racer can do it, so can Daytona.

Samba De Amigo would be great on the xbox or GC. The market would be small for this game, but the DC games were one of the best party games.

Phantasy Star should get a convential RPG release. Most people don't go online with they're systems and Phantasy Star would make a great and appealing 1 player RPG.

Golden Axe is seeing a PS2 release, but it's a remake. Hopefully they dont break the gameplay of this classic.
Old 11-22-03, 08:37 PM

Virtua Fighter 4 Evo is one of the best 3d fighters. Its funny how Playstation fanboys used to dog the VF series saying its too complex and boring, but now that PS2 has VF, its now considered much better than tekken and a huge success. If Sega gets smarter and more people play their games, Sega would easily been one of the best software developers out there. As is....they're slipping fast!
Old 11-22-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sega is porting Outrun 2 to PS2
Where'd you hear about this? I was under the impression that Sega had decided not to do any console ports of this or Virtua Cop 3.
Old 11-22-03, 08:56 PM

Just because something was influential isn't valid justification for a sequel. I mean Pong was influential but you don't hear people clamoring for an updated version.

SOR (and sequels) were great and a lot of fun, but other than the nostalagic value, I don't really see the point of re-opening the franchise. At its heart the game is a simple beat-em up and if you stray too far from the formula it really wouldn't be SOR anymore, but stick too close to it and people will wonder why they even bothered in the first place.
Old 11-22-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I hear they are going the way of NINTENDO! Oh no!!!
I'm not sure why but I find this statement hilarious.

All I want is a sequel to Nights which, as Yuji Naka said, isn't coming . Shenmue 3 might be coming though....thats the other one I want.

But yeah, VF4 Evolution is awesome. And where the hell is that Virtua Fighter Quest they said they were gonna show last year?

I also read that Outrun 2 will only be ported to PS2. The arcade version does run on the X-Box hardware. Although when you think about the decision its not that surprising.

I saw a commercial for Sonic Heroes btw, I didn't even know it was out. Anyone played it or seen reviews of it yet?
Old 11-22-03, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Outlaw, Sonic isn't out till Jan. 6th...
Old 11-22-03, 10:38 PM

MMM... Nights.... Better yet.... Nights on GC

I wish even some of the saturn games had gotten DC ports. Imagine HOTD 1 or Fighter's Megamix in Hi-Res!!!!! Saturn versions were graphically ok...but boy, the DC could've made them really pretty
Old 11-22-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
I never understood their game strategy. They divvy up their titles to the different systems, almost at random, it seems sometimes. Yes, probably PDO wouldn't have worked on the PS2, but why not make popular games like SMB or VF4 multi-platform? There's no rhyme or reason to it. TJ & Earl to the Xbox, Shinobe to the PS2, Sonic to the GC. JSRF to the Xbox. Or my personal favorite : PSO for the Gamecube
It just makes so little sense; it's almost like they're afraid to make money. Finally they got a clue with Sonic Heroes. Why not go multi-platform with all their grade A titles? If they want to make it as a software company, they need to re-think their platform staregy.
Old 11-23-03, 03:44 AM

indy2029

yo! I AGREE WITH YOU 100%

Why are people hating on sega like that?!

I have to appreciate the countless nights in which sega has provided great gaming nights for "foursmnky" and myself.

I hope they make a blockbusting comeback and go back to the original 2K' modes.
Old 11-23-03, 04:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Decker
I never understood their game strategy. They divvy up their titles to the different systems, almost at random, it seems sometimes. Yes, probably PDO wouldn't have worked on the PS2, but why not make popular games like SMB or VF4 multi-platform? There's no rhyme or reason to it. TJ & Earl to the Xbox, Shinobe to the PS2, Sonic to the GC. JSRF to the Xbox. Or my personal favorite : PSO for the Gamecube
It just makes so little sense; it's almost like they're afraid to make money. Finally they got a clue with Sonic Heroes. Why not go multi-platform with all their grade A titles? If they want to make it as a software company, they need to re-think their platform staregy.
I agree with ya they putting the wrong games on the wrong systems. I think sega is just fulling apart. I mean Sonic Team has not done anything new in a long ass time and Yu Suzuki is not paying much mind to games and stuff with his art and crap he is doing. Sega keep going this way they won't be around much longer.
Old 11-23-03, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by indy2029

Daytona can be brought back to life. If Ridge Racer can do it, so can Daytona.
I wish they could bring daytona back to life, but I think they lost the license a few years ago. thats why it took so long for it to go online for dreamcast. Daytona was only fun in the arcade though.
Old 11-23-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yu Suzuki is not paying much mind to games and stuff with his art and crap he is doing.
Um, what? Outrun 2 came out a little while back, Shenmue III is supposedly in the works, and as far as I know Virtua Fighter Quest is still in the pipeline. How is he "not paying much mind to games and stuff"?
Old 11-23-03, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
I agree with ya they putting the wrong games on the wrong systems. I think sega is just fulling apart. I mean Sonic Team has not done anything new in a long ass time and Yu Suzuki is not paying much mind to games and stuff with his art and crap he is doing. Sega keep going this way they won't be around much longer.
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg was created by Sonic Team and was released a couple of months ago.

Up until recently Sega has been making stupid decisions regarding which system gets what games. PDO should have never been released on the Xbox since the market was never there for that particular game. Sonic has done quite well on the GC but Sonic Heroes should do much better on all platforms.

Sega needs to go look into it's old catalog of games and decide which ones need to be updated, and hopefully they won't screw them up. Although I never did play Nights, their customer's are begging for a sequel yet they don't bother to support their own fan base with one.

Gun games are niche, they need to stay away from those for the moment since the fan base is so small. Unfortunately Sega always came off as a niche company though besides Sonic,VF the past two gens.

I owned a Genesis and loved Sega at the time,until the end of it's life cycle where they thumbed their noses at their fan base. I never purchased a Saturn or Dreamcast and I didn't play any Sega developed games until May of this year with some of thier GBA games. Own VF4,SoAL,SMB2 and F-Zero GX(Sega developed) as well now, still seems weird buying Sega products though.

They need to release a Phantasy Star 1-4 collection disc(only reason I would have purchased a Saturn is if they would have ported the Japanese collection to the U.S.) for PS2,GC and Xbox and then finally stop making those craptacular PSO titles and actually make Phantasy Star 5.

We need updates to:
Streets of Rage
After Burner
Golden Axe
Zaxxon
Outrun(consoles not arcade)
Altered Beast(in development, don't have high hopes)
Space Harrier
Zillion
Congo Bongo
Beyond Oasis
Galaxy Force

I never did like Sega's racing games, they just didn't feel right control wise for me. I don't care for the sports genre so I could care less what they do with that heh.

They need to developed new franchises as well though, and not titles that will appeal to only one segment or age group of the market.

We need a new Sonic game as well, not this Sonic Heroes crap either, I mean a true Sonic game, perferably in 2D.

Also Sega is in the Black now regarding profits I think, so that is a huge step in the right direction for them.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6083173.html
Old 11-24-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My friend and I were just talking about the same thing. SEGA has had some great great games in the past (Streets of Rage is a personal fav of mine) but they are seeming to be falling behind drastically. Here's to hoping they can make some sort of comeback in 2004.
Old 11-24-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My personal favorite:

Pokemon Star Online Episode III

Old 11-24-03, 07:24 PM

It's strange... I would even go as far to say that sega has made more great franchises than any software developer (nintendo has more blockbuster franchises, but quantity wise, sega has more titles), but they are falling wayyyy behind. Perhaps they've been too keen on innovation than milking franchises (a la capcom, nintendo, konami). Whatever it is, I hope they do get back on track because without sega I have no hope for the fture generations of gamers
Old 11-24-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does no one think of Super Monky Ball anymore?
Beach Spikers? (Much better then DOA Vollybal)
Skies of Arcadia? (I know it's an update)
F-Zero GX and AX?

All great games. hmm.
Old 11-24-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Super Mokey Ball is great.. but most people will dismiss it as a kid's game. Sad.
Never played Beach Spikers.
Skies of Arcadia = Generic Anime RPG. *yawn*
F-Zero is pretty excellent, a little frustrating in the single player mode though.
Old 11-24-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
bring on a Shining Force compliation disc of all the Shining Force games

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.