Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Where can I get a glass DVD storage cabinet?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-03, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something similar to this:

ikea page

I went to check this out in two different Ikea stores recently and turns out it's a wall mount unit which isn't what I need. They have other 'glass' type of units there but they were all sold out/not the right size.

Any suggestion on where else I may be able to get something in the same vein? Outside of Ikea, I'm all out of ideas as to where to get something like that.
Old 11-22-03, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Uh, have you gone to a furniture store? It's amazing how much a dvd looks like a book. Maybe a glass enclosed book shelf might do? Sorry for the sarcasm.
Old 11-22-03, 12:29 PM

Yes, Ikea is a furniture store last time I checked. The reason I asked is because I don't think other 'traditional' type furnitures would have something like this- which is more of a glass display (glass shelves/door w/lighting etc). Most book shelves are mostly wood.
Old 11-22-03, 01:06 PM

Something else from Ikea you might consider.

Bookcase with glass door
Old 11-22-03, 01:12 PM

Oh wow thanks I hadn't seen that before online or instore. It's way too big for my purposes though (I'm looking to put in bedroom). Very frustrating!
Old 11-22-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I've got two of the ones from your 1st post side by side on a wall. They look great except of course you can't move them. I'm curious as to why wall-mounted is a problem for you? Do you have glass walls?
Old 11-22-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, both of those cases look really great. Too bad they are not available in black.
Old 11-22-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Spy021
Wow, both of those cases look really great. Too bad they are not available in black.
But, I believe that paint is available in black . . .
Old 11-22-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
But, I believe that paint is available in black . . .
This is very true.... However, the horrible things I have done when I envision myself as a craftsman would make Bob Villa cringe.
Old 11-22-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Spy021
This is very true.... However, the horrible things I have done when I envision myself as a craftsman would make Bob Villa cringe.
Old 11-22-03, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
I've got two of the ones from your 1st post side by side on a wall. They look great except of course you can't move them. I'm curious as to why wall-mounted is a problem for you? Do you have glass walls?
Those do look very nice but a couple of reasons they don't work for me.

1. They are a tad on the small side, in the storage department. They not deep enough to hold much other than DVDs and CDs, I was planning to throw other stuff in there that's all.

2. They are wall-mount and don't fit in with my room, and my 'handiman' skills leave much to be desired for the installation aspect.

They do look very nice though, some of the other stuff at Ikea looks pretty ugly. (rough unfinished looking wood) The search goes on!
Old 11-22-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chucks888
They do look very nice though, some of the other stuff at Ikea looks pretty ugly. (rough unfinished looking wood)
You do know that one of the big selling points of a lot of IKEA furniture is that you get to finish it off the way that you want it, right?

Last edited by talemyn; 11-23-03 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-23-03, 12:42 AM

Is it? No I wasn't aware of that. I know you can apply your own stains but I'd imagine it would still look pretty horrible.
Old 11-23-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kcdny
Something else from Ikea you might consider.

Bookcase with glass door
These are what I own (without the glass doors and in Beech Vaneer color) with Glass shelves. They are the best DVD Racks ever. the Cabinets from Billy cost $80 and will probably hold like 400 DVDs, but you can add more shelves to make one hold even more. I love mine and look forward to filling it up over time. You wont regret it if you buy those. They are amazing and look soooo good, plus you can always add the glass doors or the wooden half doors
Old 11-23-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those do look very nice but a couple of reasons they don't work for me.

1. They are a tad on the small side, in the storage department. They not deep enough to hold much other than DVDs and CDs, I was planning to throw other stuff in there that's all.

2. They are wall-mount and don't fit in with my room, and my 'handiman' skills leave much to be desired for the installation aspect.

They do look very nice though, some of the other stuff at Ikea looks pretty ugly. (rough unfinished looking wood) The search goes on!
1-Small, these things are HUGE, like 79" tall. And they hold blengy of my books including oversized books. There bookshelves, made for books, They will hold anything you want of any size.

2. They are wall mountable, they dont have to be (mine arent cause I know I am moving in 6 months and dont want more holes in my walls then I need).

Some Ikea stuff does look like Crap, I agree, but the Billy Line is Ikeas best selling Brand out of all other brands, and actually the Beech Vaneer is their best selling color out of all colors (I have a friend who is VP for my local Ikea) and they have graphs and what not for internal use that shows all this.
Old 11-23-03, 10:29 AM

Rel77: No no you misunderstand he and I were talking about the one linked in my first post not the Billy bookshelf. Those look great, only one problem really- they are way too huge for use in my bedroom.
Old 11-23-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rel77: No no you misunderstand he and I were talking about the one linked in my first post not the Billy bookshelf. Those look great, only one problem really- they are way too huge for use in my bedroom.
Oh yeah, for my Current 1 Bedroom place, I have mine in my Bedroom (like I said, moving in 6 moths to 2 bedroom), and they are huge but thankfully there not near as deep as some other bookshelves, so there tall which is good, and not as deep as others but still definitly deep enough
Old 11-23-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To bad it isn't WOOD! Crap fiberboard! People don't know quality! Plus the health risks of the glues in fiberboard.
Old 11-23-03, 08:18 PM

"To bad" for who? I don't have that particular cabinet but thanks for your 'health concern'.
Old 11-23-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No, it's not just the health concerns. It's the fact that it's a piece of crap. Fiberboard or particleboard furniture just doesn't last! It's total waste of money and scrap wood! HAHA scrap wood furniture pick it up at your local Wal*mart Why spend the money on something that will only last a few years?
Old 11-23-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it? No I wasn't aware of that. I know you can apply your own stains but I'd imagine it would still look pretty horrible.
You can use stain (on some pieces), but most people I know use paint. You can get a pretty nice look if you take your time and do a good job painting.
Old 11-24-03, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another thing to consider are glass cabinets for storing & displaying dishes (fine china and the like). I looked at some in a Home World furniture store here in Hawaii and they were perfect for storing DVD's. There are many varieties to choose from--some with deep shelves, some with narrow ones, wide, tall, cherry, maple, whatever--but they have a glass door (or doors) and look really nice. Usually they are not stored in the same area of the furniture store as you would find bookselves and such, so if you want more options than what you find there, try asking a salesperson where they have the dish cabinets and give those a look.
Old 11-24-03, 12:04 PM

Excellent thanks Joliom!
Old 11-24-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by REL77
....Cabinets from Billy cost $80 and will probably hold like 400 DVDs, but you can add more shelves to make one hold even more...
Where can I get one for $80 and where can I get more shelves? Space for 400 DVDs would store my current collection and for that price, I'm very interested. Please let me know.