Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

wrong version Last House On The Left on each side of disc.

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered Last House On The Left (dvdempire 2 for $15) and as I always do I put the widescreen version side in my player and to my suprise it was the "standard" version. So I flipped the disc over to the "standard" side and it was the WS version. Anyone else's copy like this?
Old 11-20-03, 07:51 PM

My copy of Dark City is like that. That's the only time when I purposely put the Full Screen side of the disc up when playing.
Old 11-21-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I've got a few discs like that, though I couldn't name them off the top of my head.
Old 11-21-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, there's two ways of looking at it. Does the label indicate what data is contained on the side which is labeled, or does it indicate what you will see if you insert the disc with that label side up into your DVD player?
Old 11-21-03, 08:09 AM

There seems to be no real rhyme or reason to how the discs are labeled. Sometimes the widescreen side is on the side that says widescreen, and sometimes its on the the opposite side. My rule of thumb is to guess which one it is, then pick the other one, since my first guess always seems to be wrong.
Old 11-21-03, 08:28 AM

For a disc that's dual-sided, I have to put the disc in the player so that the words "widescreen" are facing up, with the actual data on the other side.
Old 11-21-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DealMan
For a disc that's dual-sided, I have to put the disc in the player so that the words "widescreen" are facing up, with the actual data on the other side.
But that's not always the case. For example, in this thread, people have pointed out the Last House on the Left and Dark City do it the other way.
Old 11-21-03, 09:44 AM

I just checked my LHOTL disc, and the widescreen data is on the side marked standard, so to watch it in widescreen you'd put it in standard side down.
Old 11-21-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My copy of The Birdcage is like that. But my Dark City disc is labelled correctly.

Rob
Old 11-21-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by malkmuz
I just checked my LHOTL disc, and the widescreen data is on the side marked standard, so to watch it in widescreen you'd put it in standard side down.
Afraid to say it, but I'm still confused. If the widescreen data is on the side marked "standard," isn't that the normal way of playing a double-sided disc? That is, with the word "widescreen" facing the ceiling, and not the floor, the widescreen version of the film plays? Why, that sounds like every other dual-sided disc to me. Is it possible your DVD player is upside down? Or, rather, that JJE-187's DVD player is upside down? Quick way to tell: If you have to secure your disc in the player with a piece of tape, it's upside down. Or possibly on its side. Hmm. To be sure, I suggest that you attach a photo in this thread of you inserting the disc.

Last edited by evenswr; 11-21-03 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Okay, just checked my copy. It's normal. When I put the disc in to watch the widescreen version, I can see the word "Widescreen" on the hub as the disc is sitting in the tray.
Old 11-21-03, 07:00 PM

Mine are always widescreen words on top of the disc and the data on the bottom. Just like a normal movie with artwork. The movie isn't on the side with the artwork but rather the opposite side.
Old 11-21-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Widescreen really should be considered "standard" anyway, so either way it makes sense.
Old 11-21-03, 10:25 PM

My copy of "Batman Forever" is like that, but my copy of LHOTL isn't like that.
Old 11-22-03, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by evenswr
Afraid to say it, but I'm still confused. If the widescreen data is on the side marked "standard," isn't that the normal way of playing a double-sided disc? That is, with the word "widescreen" facing the ceiling, and not the floor, the widescreen version of the film plays? Why, that sounds like every other dual-sided disc to me. Is it possible your DVD player is upside down? Or, rather, that JJE-187's DVD player is upside down? Quick way to tell: If you have to secure your disc in the player with a piece of tape, it's upside down. Or possibly on its side. Hmm. To be sure, I suggest that you attach a photo in this thread of you inserting the disc.
I was just giving confirmation about how my personal copy of the disc is labeled. Like your previous post, some discs are labeled the opposite way. No need to be nasty!