Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Mondo Cane Collection Packaging is exactly what we need to keep down the box-bloat

Community
Search

Mondo Cane Collection Packaging is exactly what we need to keep down the box-bloat

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one almost decided to forgo the Mondo Cane collection because I really didn't know if I wanted to add such a huge boxed set into my collection for such an oddball title.

Receiving the 8 disc collection, it takes up LESS space than the 4 disk Giallo Coll box set.

Blue Underground has done a terrific job by packaging this gigantic set in less than half width slimline keepcases all kept together in a transparent plastic slipbox with perfect tension to keep them from sliding out.

IF ONLY MGM WOULD DO THIS FOR THE BONDS!!!!

I hate to imagine how fat the Quadrilogy box is going to be. Thank goodness I wont be upgrading my Legacy Box anytime soon.

My hat is off to Blue Underground. I hope other companies join the trend to thinner packaging.
Old 11-19-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Mondo Cane Collection Packaging is exactly what we need to keep down the box-bloat

Originally posted by sicklerice
I hate to imagine how fat the Quadrilogy box is going to be. Thank goodness I wont be upgrading my Legacy Box anytime soon.

My hat is off to Blue Underground. I hope other companies join the trend to thinner packaging.
IIRC the Quadrilogy set is going to be a digipac.

I really like the thinpak cases for boxsets too. The only ones I have that use that right now are the Dick Van Dyke S1 and S2 sets. I do wish that my R2s of Futurama used thinpaks like the R1 release did. The thinpaks take up about the same space as a digipac but they are so much easier to use than a digipac with the space needed to unfold to get to the discs. Plus there is practically no way to get a floater in a thinpak (unlike the horrors known as Buffy and Angel digipacs).
Old 11-19-03, 02:56 PM

Paramount's Honeymooners box set has the same kind of packaging, and I too think it works excellent for these box sets.
Old 11-19-03, 03:01 PM
NMA

The same cases were used in AnchorBay's Herzog/Kinski Boxset. The cases are lovely and practical...
Old 11-19-03, 03:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Criterion's Truffaut's and Fassbiner's boxsets are slim too, but the Bergman's and Dreyer's aren't...
Old 11-19-03, 04:03 PM

The Honeymooners, King of the Hill & The Twilight Zone use these cases. I personally wish the industry would just use these slim packs for all one-disc DVD releases and all box set releases. Saves space and looks ten times better, in my humble opinion.
Old 11-19-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mondo Cane Collection Packaging is exactly what we need to keep down the box-bloat

Judging by posts on many forums it's to be hoped Blue Underground use the cardboard casing to hold all the discs like the Christopher Lee collection in future as opposed to the flimsy blue plastic of this Mondo Collection if widespread reports of cracks/damage are to be believed.
Old 11-19-03, 05:34 PM

Re: Re: Mondo Cane Collection Packaging is exactly what we need to keep down the box-bloat

Originally posted by RichDB10
Judging by posts on many forums it's to be hoped Blue Underground use the cardboard casing to hold all the discs like the Christopher Lee collection in future as opposed to the flimsy blue plastic of this Mondo Collection if widespread reports of cracks/damage are to be believed.
Cracks or no, I prefer the plastic. Paper scuffs in the collection, plastic cracks and chips.

John
Old 11-19-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have had no problems with the Mondo box...love it. it's said at another forum that many were damaged in shipment when ordering on-line. amazon packed mine perfect.
Old 11-19-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The mondo cane collection box sucks royally.
It's not sturdy enough to support all those dvds and mine already cracked.
The dvds just slide out all too easily.

Oh well, the set is going to be out of print very soon anyway.
Old 11-19-03, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
The mondo cane collection box sucks royally.
It's not sturdy enough to support all those dvds and mine already cracked.
are you suspending it from wire or something?

I've had to touch my box maybe 2 times. I file it spine out, like everything else...and pull whatever dvd I want...right out of the box. if we fondle the set like mama's squeeze box, it wont last long.
Old 11-19-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I have had no problems with the Mondo box...love it.
Hey gut ...glad another BU release has lived up to your expectations as ever..you being their best cusomer and all
Was seriously tempted myself but as i mentioned over in the dedicated thread i'm only familiar with 'mondo' films by 'reputation/infamy' etc....so don't want to be dropping down the $ or should i say £'s for something i'm not entirely sure i'd like.

Anyway...as this cracked casing situation appears to be quite widespread what's the chances you think of BU offering 'replacement' cases in the light of them offering disc replacements for the faulty 'Circus Of Fear' discs?

Last edited by RichDB10; 11-19-03 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if we fondle the set like mama's squeeze box, it wont last long.
LOL - some guys have all the fun
Old 11-19-03, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by RichDB10

Anyway...as this cracked casing situation appears to be quite widespread what's the chances you think of BU offering 'replacement' cases in the light of them offering disc replacements for the faulty 'Circus Of Fear' discs?
even though I got a non-damaged box and know how to take care of my collection....I know that they are indeed fragile. too fragile for those who dont take care of the collection. I'm sure that if someone wants another case...and BU hears enough complaints, which I think they have....I'm sure they will take care of the customer. I'd be upset if they did not....the price of the set should provide us with years of free customer support. if someone out there has a cracked case and have not yet contacted BU.....dont know what to tell ya. lets post a response and find out, eh?
Old 11-19-03, 07:43 PM

Hey gut:

Don't count your blessings so quickly. I too received actually two box sets on the same day. Both were in perfect shape - uncracked - great! I had been reading all the comments over at Mobius from people who got cracked ones and felt pretty lucky. So I opened one and put the sealed one aside for safe keeping. I barely touched the open one and handled it very carefully the couple of times I pulled out the discs. I'm a serious collector and condition is a major point with me. But lo and behold, I looked at the box a week or so later and a small crack had just started it's way along the top edge for no apparent reason. What the heck!?!

THEN, I looked at my sealed copy which was perfect two weeks earlier and hadn't been touched since. Yep, a big crack had started along down the spine flap! It's contagious!

I have a feeling all these plastic boxes will decompose or just give out after a while. They sure did look NIFTY at first glance, but this Mondo Box set seems to be even more LIMITED than it was ever planned to be. Hey, if your copy never starts cracking, you may have the only one out there and it could be worth a fortune! Dont touch it! Don't touch it!

It's still a remarkable collection, shredding box or not. A bit disappointed that the box has issues, but it's still worth every penny.
Old 11-19-03, 07:56 PM

Hi Jeff. that sucks man. I got my box the day of release...but I'll be keeping an eye on it, for sure. too bad they have to be so brittle. I'd hate to see what they would do if the heat was shut off in the middle of winter!

trust me...if it happens to mine...you'll hear about it. sure I adore BU....but I'll never keep my mouth shut if something they do pisses me off. I've contacted BU about the issue and hopefully will hear from them at some point. I provided a link to this thread so that they maybe will reply to everyone. I hope they take care of you....and me if it happens.
Old 11-20-03, 01:04 AM

What I do with boxes is to cut the cellophane only at the opening of the box, leaving a nice tight wrap around the rest of the box. That worked great with my X-Files as they won't slip out the bottom. I did this with VHS tapes as well.
Old 11-20-03, 05:33 AM

I think most people are having problems with the thin plastic box itself - the DVD cases are great. The Family Guy sets use these DVD cases, and package them in a hard cardboard slipcase, which is the way to go for box sets.
Old 11-20-03, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm planning to pick this set up ever since i saw the review on DVD Talk but why is it going OOP so fast? or is that just a rumour at this point?

any info would be appreciated, thanks
Old 11-20-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From my understanding it's the fact that all 10,000 copies were shipped out to suppliers/retailers from Blue Underground prior to the actual release date therefore they won't be pressing any more copies.
No doubt you should still be able to acquire this fairly easily at the moment but as soon as a retailers/suppliers stocks dry up..that's it!
Old 11-20-03, 07:43 AM

For the record, my copy is already #94xx out of 10000.

I take that to mean all copies have been distributed.

I'm not actually expecting to want to keep it, but who knows.

By the time I'm done watching this bad boy, I expect to be
able to sell it at a slight profit as it only cost me $69.
Old 11-20-03, 10:56 AM
Banned

I love the movies, and the slimpacks are great. However, that cheap brittle plastic box is a disaster. Blue Underground needs to do something about this. Replacing them with cardboard boxes would be the best solution. I wrote an e-mail to Blue Underground and received a reply stating that they would look into the matter. I hope they do, because this set deserves a sturdy box.
Old 11-20-03, 01:44 PM

I'm not actually expecting to want to keep it,
this gives me the shivers.

*screaming 3 hail-mary's and tossing holy water on library*
Old 11-20-03, 03:03 PM

I just checked my box, and it is also cracked. I didn't notice the cracks when I first got it, but then again I didn't inspect the box to closely. Hopefully, BU will offer replacements, but then the replacement boxes might not be individually numbered. I guess that wouldn't matter too much.
Old 11-20-03, 03:24 PM

this gives me the shivers.

*screaming 3 hail-mary's and tossing holy water on library*
I really am looking forward to watching the films, but given the subject matter, I don't expect to want to review them. If I don't want to review them at a later date, why not sell them?

My local Ballbuster Video probably wont have these films for rent and even if they did it'd be about $25 to rent them all.

John

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.