Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Kamen [Composer], R.I.P.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Composer Michael Kamen Dies

Oscar-nominated composer, conductor and arranger Michael Kamen died this morning (Nov. 18) after suffering from multiple sclerosis for several years, his agent said. He was 55. Further details were not immediately available.

One of Hollywood's most successful composers, Kamen worked on music for the "Lethal Weapon" series and scored "Die Hard," among many other films. He was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1996, but did not go public about the disease until late September.

Kamen grew up in Queens, the son of liberal activists. In the late 1960s, he helped found the New York Rock'n'Roll Ensemble. In the 1970s, he scored ballets, served as musical director for David Bowie's Diamond Dogs tour and began writing scores for film.

Although he began in Hollywood working on offbeat films like "Polyester" and "Brazil," he turned more mainstream in the 1980s, working on the "Lethal Weapon" series, "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves," "Mr. Holland's Opus" and "X-Men," plus the HBO series "Band of Brothers."

In 1999, Kamen conducted the San Francisco Orchestra as it backed hard rock act Metallica on its live "S&M" project. Recorded across two concerts that reworked the band's canon for symphonic arrangement, the resulting album peaked at No. 2 and has sold 2.6 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

BILLBOARD.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This Sucks. Thank You, Michael for what U did for Metallica. I appreciated the work on "Nothing Else Matters" and recently on "S&M", so for that I'll remember You! A BIG.
Old 11-19-03, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He said he didn't see any boundaries in music, a philosophy which meant a lot to me when I was younger! His collaboration with Metallica probably played a large part in my getting into classical and cinema music... especially the `elevator' (orchestra only) version of Nothing Else Matters. Though I wasn't a great fan of his film music, he sounded like a very progressive thinker. Others might remember his collaboration with Queen on Highlander (`Who Wants to Live For Ever?'). At 55, he died young but lived a more accomplished life than most. Thank you Kamen for introducing me to what would become my greatest love...

R.I.P.

Last edited by TremCat; 11-19-03 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 03:22 AM

sad news
Old 11-19-03, 06:38 AM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=Kamen
Old 11-19-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 11-19-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

His score for Edge of Darkness(BBC) with Clapton was absolutely amazing. By FAR the most emotional piece of orchestra music I have EVER heard. I would like to know where this could be found. I have Eric Claptons 24 Nights and they have a side of 1 CD dedicated to Edge of Darkness. Quite an amazing peice of music to say the least.

Michael you will be missed dearly. R.I.P.
Old 11-19-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mr. Self Destruct
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=Kamen
Saw it before, still posted it here. It's MUSIC, so It stays here
Old 11-20-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MICHAEL KAMEN: A LOSS IN THE FAMILY
11/20/2003

The Metallica family is saddened by the loss of our good friend and 'S&M' collaborator, Michael Kamen on Tuesday, November 18th. Michael lost his battle with multiple sclerosis at the age of 55.

In addition to working with us on 'S&M,' Michael enjoyed a very successful career composing for films such as 'Lethal Weapon' and 'Die Hard.' He worked with Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, David Bowie, and many others pioneering the fusion of orchestral arrangements with rock, and is the winner of several Grammy Awards, including one for 'S & M.'

'S&M' was Michael's idea, Michael's brainchild. He said he had always felt that our music lent itself to a collaboration with an orchestra, and from the time he approached us with the idea at that first breakfast meeting in 1997, to the day after the final mixes were complete on the record and the DVD, through the performances in Berlin, New York, and Las Vegas, we enjoyed two extremely fun, challenging, and creative years together. Michael will be missed by all of us, and will always remain an integral part of the Metallica family.

Please join us in paying our respects to Michael and his family. If you would like to make a contribution in Michael's memory, the Kamen family asks that donations be made to the Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation. After composing the music for the film of the same name, Michael was inspired to do something to keep music alive in schools across the country, and through this foundation he has made it possible to continue to inspire and teach future generations of musicians. Donations may be made by mail, phone or online. For more information go to: http://www.mhopus.org/donate.htm

from [METALLICA.com]
Old 11-20-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, this stinks. I loved his movie scores, especially Robin Hood.