Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Chinese Ghost Story - news / reviews / chat incl. HKL [merged]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Chinese Ghost Story - news / reviews / chat incl. HKL [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Chinese Ghost Story" Trilogy-OOP

I was at HKFlix.com and saw that the Chinese Ghost Story films were out of print. Then at another site it said they couldn't ship these in the US because it would be infringing on the owners(maybe Miramax)rights.
I know i just bought Chinese Ghost Story at Suncoast within the last year, and just the other two there recently.
I did a search on this and couldn't find anything, so if there is any info out there let me know.
Old 06-01-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's not OOP. In fact one of my friends bought the trilogy in HK last week, so if you try one of the HK stores like DDDHouse you should be able to get it, no problem.
Old 06-01-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just going on the information from HKFlix and the other Iternational DVD/VCD store said.
Old 06-01-02, 10:18 PM

It's not technically "out of print", but it's illegal to sell it within the USA. It is still legal for an individual to import it from HK for personal use only.
Old 06-02-02, 01:29 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

i got my at one of HK online store. very cheap.
Old 06-02-02, 09:01 AM

HKL were reported to have acquired the UK rights for at least ACGS I & II ...
I have the R2 PAL discs published by One World in Germany ... Letterboxed 4:3, quality is nice, but not outstanding. Cantonese 5.1 or the German dub, plus your choice of four different German subtitles.
Old 06-02-02, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by thalion
HKL were reported to have acquired the UK rights for at least ACGS I & II ...
I have the R2 PAL discs published by One World in Germany ... Letterboxed 4:3, quality is nice, but not outstanding. Cantonese 5.1 or the German dub, plus your choice of four different German subtitles.
HKL have all three of the Chinese Ghost Story films. They got them and I think 14 or 15 other movies from Golden Princess.
Old 07-16-03, 05:11 PM

Chinese Ghost Story and Bullet in the Head. HKL

I just saw this announcement on the HKL news site. These are two of my favorites.. I'm hoping the Bullet in the Head DVD will be the extended version (with piss scene).

Anyone have any other info on these?
Old 07-18-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great movies. They also have the rights to the other two Chinese Ghost Story movies.
Old 10-08-03, 01:48 PM

Chinese Ghost Story (Live action)

I bought this long ago, not the anime version, but the one with Leslie Cheung. I love it!

However.
The studio, Tai Seng, did a very lousy job with the translation/subtitles. I see there are several studios with another versions out by Deltamac/Fortune Star .

Question: is this alternate releases any better in the subtitle department? If you know, could you fill me in? Should I just forget about it and bear with the bad job (like all Mei Ah DVDs I've bought)?
Thanks
Old 10-08-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HKL is releasing this on 10/27, going by track record their subtitles should be the best. Here is a link with more info.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5565
Old 10-08-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
I've been waiting for a decent DVD release because I love this film. Unfortunately, I believe Disney owns the US rights to the film now, so we probably can't expect a decent R1 release. I hope the HKL disc turns out to be a winner.
Old 10-08-03, 08:54 PM

woo-hoo! anamorphic!

Amazon UK is listing it pre-order at £12.74 (lower w/out VAT for US shipment).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...366417-1059656
Old 10-09-03, 11:01 AM

ohmygod this is GREAT news! I'm so glad I decided to try asking! This is a must buy for me. Thanks so much for the info!

Pre ordered at 13.92 shipped! Not too shabby.

Last edited by jblackie; 10-09-03 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-09-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, i have this one on pre-order too. One of my all time favorite HK movies.
Old 10-10-03, 07:40 AM

Can't understand how Crouching Tiger caught on, but no one ever noticed this gem... I prefer it. I almost want to try the sequals, but all reviews indicate they're basically the same thing as the original with no innovation. Too bad.
Old 10-10-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved the sequels. you can never get too much of a good thing. Don't pass them by.
Old 10-10-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm.... I just ordered a code-free player - just in time!
Old 10-10-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HKL, also has the rights to the 2nd and 3rd one as well. Hopefully, they will release them in 2004.
Old 10-10-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jblackie
Can't understand how Crouching Tiger caught on, but no one ever noticed this gem... I prefer it. I almost want to try the sequals, but all reviews indicate they're basically the same thing as the original with no innovation. Too bad.
I can tell you why CTHD caught on and this didn't...because CGS is an entirely different type of movie. It isn't serious. The direction reeks of the wide-angle lenses and really cropped perspectives which limit the frame of the action. CTHD opened up that frame so that the beautifully choreographed action scenes could be viewed properly and appreciated. Not to mention CTHD was a more serious, dramatic wuxia. CGS had too many comedic elements and had a move over-the-top acting style.

I loved CTHD. I hated CGS. And I hate most films wuxia films made during the same period as CGS because they deployed similar filmmaking traits. The most recent crop of wuxia films, like Hero and to an extent Musa, are so much better thanks to the road paved by CTHD.

To each their own, I guess...

Jeremy
Old 10-10-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jrutz
I can tell you why CTHD caught on and this didn't...because CGS is an entirely different type of movie. It isn't serious. The direction reeks of the wide-angle lenses and really cropped perspectives which limit the frame of the action. CTHD opened up that frame so that the beautifully choreographed action scenes could be viewed properly and appreciated. Not to mention CTHD was a more serious, dramatic wuxia. CGS had too many comedic elements and had a move over-the-top acting style.

I loved CTHD. I hated CGS. And I hate most films wuxia films made during the same period as CGS because they deployed similar filmmaking traits. The most recent crop of wuxia films, like Hero and to an extent Musa, are so much better thanks to the road paved by CTHD.

To each their own, I guess...

Jeremy
Although CTHD is one of my favorite asian movies, I could not disagee with you more about your opinion on the filming of CGS. There are so many charming aspects to this movie. I really appreciate this film style.

However, I agree with your thinking about the genre. IMO, the reason CGS did not catch on here is because of the fantasy elements. People typically either like it or they don't. CTHD has some fantasy elements, but it was really more of a dramatic epic. I have come across numerous internet reviews which are either glowing or negative about the classic HK fantasy movies.

Your point about the comedic elements is also well taken. Most people either appreciate the HK comedic elements or don't find them amusing. Similar to how people tend to be polarized on most british comedy.
Old 11-18-03, 08:25 PM

HKL Chinese Ghost Story?

Where is it? Was supposed to be out on 10/28/03. Anyone got there copies yet? How about HKL Musa?
Old 11-18-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Apparently it is out (I haven't ordered it yet) and several reviews have appeared in the U.K. Pretty sure MUSA is also out.

Here's a link to one of the reviews:

http://www.dvddebate.com/article.php...&mode=&order=0

Last edited by marty888; 11-18-03 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 12:05 AM
Banned

I recieved my copy of Premier Asia's release of The Warrior (Musa).
Old 11-19-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have had them both for over two weeks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.