Counter-Strike(Xbox) Gamespot review *IGN will be added

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Counter-Strike(Xbox) Gamespot review *IGN will be added

Gamespot Review

Score 7.2

Last Paragraph
Ironically, the biggest competition that this Xbox version of Counter-Strike faces is from itself. In particular, the new Counter-Strike must compete against the aging PC version of Counter-Strike that's still free, still widely played, and still runs faster than ever on today's average system. Meanwhile, judged solely on its own merits or against standards established by other Xbox shooters, this game has a very limited variety of modes of play (including barely any single-player component to speak of) and contains underachieving production qualities that will disappoint those expecting anything more than just a port of an old PC shooter. Despite all that and despite the suboptimal controls for a game demanding of down-to-the-pixel precision, the gameplay of Counter-Strike still shines through as a finely tuned combination of addictive arcade action and deeply strategic teamwork. It's too bad, though, that the underlying high quality of the gameplay isn't more readily apparent.

By Greg Kasavin
IGN Review

Score 7.9

Last paragraphs
Closing Comments
Counter-Strike is a decent game if you take it for what it is. However, I couldn't help but feel disappointed that neither Ritual nor Valve nor Microsoft Game Studios seized the opportunity to make the Xbox version of Counter-Strike something more visually impressive and worthy of our attention. As it is, Counter-Strike doesn't offer an online shooter experience like Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Rainbow Six 3 where there are unique styles and gameplay subsystems to keep us interested. It just offers a straight ahead first person shooter that's made it over from PC in better shape than I could've predicted. It's just strange that the game that inspired so many evolutions of the FPS genre is now back again on Xbox competing with so many games of its own legacy.
You may have read this before, but Counter-Strike is a lot like Michael Jordan in a Wizards jersey. The greatness of the name is undeniable, but nowadays they're both merely competitive. This game is a must have like a 2002-2003 Jordan trading card.

-- Aaron Boulding

Last edited by Galanthas; 11-19-03 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds very disappointing. This went from a must rent, to a maybe later...oh well.
Old 11-17-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I was kind of excited about this, but I guess I'll stick with Ghost Recon for my tactical ops game.
Old 11-17-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was gonna be a blind buy for me, looks to be a rental instead. If i like it, i'll probaly buy it then.
Old 11-17-03, 10:07 PM

Well that might just seal it. I was thinking of trading in my remaining "Buy 2 Get 1 Game" for this. Guess I'll "settle" for the GTA III double pack and keep playing R6 on XBOX LIVE.
Old 11-17-03, 10:25 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In a way, I'm kind of glad. Too many games this past few months and I've certainly played enough CS and TFC on my PC.

Socom 2, GRIT and R63 will be enough to keep me busy till the next best FPS (Halo 2). Besides, I'd rather get Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy tomorrow.
Old 11-18-03, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I played it at E3 quite a bit and I loved it. I think that review is selling it short - if you've played it on the PC before, this is enough of an upgrade for sure. The controls are pretty tight and there won't be any cheating (hopefully it's impossible). The gameplay remains excellent and while the graphics aren't as awesome as some new shooters coming out - they are better than the original PC version... Not saying a whole lot by todays standards, but I think the review up there is a tad misleading by saying that people looking for an upgrade to the PC version graphics will be disappointed.

I think it's a good game and with Xbox Live leveling the playing field both in connection speed and cheats and controls (since everyone will be using an xbox controller), there might be some more life left in this game. It's certainly better than the Socom games (IMO). I really dig the Ghost Recon games, but they run at a slower pace than CS. I think there's room for both games in my game library and I won't let some sour reviews keep me from getting it.

Besides - 7/10 is well above average.
Old 11-18-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The GameSpy review seems a lot more fair, since they put their alleged "Counter Strike Expert" on the review. They gave it a 4/5 and really delve into the gameplay aspects as compared to the PC version:

http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/novem...terstrikexbox/

Pros
Fantastic multiplayer; great control; best-looking version of CS available; voice chat improves gameplay.

Cons
Weak single-player experience; not very full-featured; poor model animation.
Jeremy
Old 11-18-03, 10:48 AM

I agree with Trigger, I'm looking forward to this game! Yes I will miss my Mouse and Keyboard but I welcome an even playing field devoid of cheaters.
Old 11-18-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

no split screen at all and system link is 1 per xbox.
Old 11-18-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate split screen and who the hell uses system link? I've never once used or known anyone who used system link since it was invented for whatever console it was invented for. No offense.
Old 11-18-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a scenario:

Two systems linked together, with XBL players on each. The benefit of this? Two people can play side-by-side over XBL. Kinda like a mini LAN party.

Here's another one:

Two systems linked together, with non-XBL players on each, with bots enabled. Like a XBL game without the XBL.

Here's another one:

Four systems linked together, all using four-player split-screen for a total of 16 players in one room. That's a BIG LAN party! Believe me, I've seen it done with Halo. And it's totally awesome.

CS would have benefited from this, but I think Microsoft is using it to attract more subscribers to the XBL service. Allowing split-screen multiplayer might deter from someone subscribing to XBL if they didn't need to.

Jeremy
Old 11-18-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

counter-strike with split screen is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. The whole point of cheating is to see where the other person is - if you had split screen, the players could both see where each other is. Okay - well it's not the dumbest thing ever, but it's not as cool Live. And yeah - alot of console shooters have split screen vs. I still don't think those are all that good a time either.

Anyway - to have a system link - don't you have to have multiple televisions? Well - I guess if I had another xbox or two, I could play against people in my own house in our own rooms. But couldn't we also play against each other via XBL? I'm asking cuz the idea of system link always seemed to me like something eccentric - like having more than one tv in the same room. Cuz until the Xbox, didn't system link mean the machines had to be in the same room so the cord could reach?

(saying it's dumb to have counter-strike with split screen wasn't a jab at anyone here... just saying the idea seems silly to me )
Old 11-18-03, 03:59 PM

system link is pretty cool if you want to play with a big group of friends all in the same place. I play halo with some buddies and we usually haul 2 additional tvs and xboxes to a location that already has a system in place. That allows us to have 12 ppl to play if wanted (usually we have about 7 ppl). Obviously, it's always better to just have a 1 xbox: 1 tv ratio but it would be crazy if everyone had to haul their gear over just to play halo now halo 2 will be a different story but it's always cool to get together and eat and play and hang out with friends while fraggin everyone in a nice death match of halo or capture the flag.
Old 11-18-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Split screen seems reasonable to me as long as you don't have different teams on the same screen. Also 1 xbox + 1 tv for 4 people is easier travelwise than 4 pcs + 4 monitors although it's nice to have your own screen obviously.
Old 11-18-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suppose system link sounds like fun in theory - it just still seems a bit eccentric to me - kinda like how some people around here view online gaming. But whatever. I still don't see the lack of system link or split screen as being too much of a disadvantage for this title - especially since the PC version didn't have either. Unless I'm missing something - can't 2 people with 2 xboxes play against each other in the same house on the same network over Live? If so - why need system link? Oh - I guess that's if you don't have broadband, duh.

Well - to that I say - get with the times, man!
Old 11-18-03, 05:08 PM
Retired

I actually prefer splitscreen for death matches.

Multiplayer gaming is a party thing for me, so I rarely (nor the people I play with) play enough to memorize boards etc.

Seeing where the other person is at makes it a much more action oriented party type game.

Where as online death matches are more learning the boards and strategy (which I can see why some love it, but it's not my cup of tea).
Old 11-18-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

online gaming isn't your cup of tea?? wait a minute - my world just turned upside down. I don't know what's real anymore.
Old 11-18-03, 05:20 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Trigger
online gaming isn't your cup of tea?? wait a minute - my world just turned upside down. I don't know what's real anymore.
Didn't mean that. Just that deathmatch on seperate screens doesn't appeal to me. Nothing to do with online gaming per se.

I like the more party oriented type multiplayer games, so I'm interested in trying a split screen counterstrike deathmatch after hearing years of hype over the PC version.

No reason to be so antagonistic and snide in your replies.
Old 11-18-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate split screen and who the hell uses system link? I've never once used or known anyone who used system link since it was invented for whatever console it was invented for. No offense.
I use system link ... (as well as XBL) ... I see no difference in that and having a LAN party. I have a friend who has a 65" HDTV and a 32" and a 27", so we just bring 2 XBoxes besides the 1 he already has (yes his house wired for a network) and have several people playing Halo. We just put people who are teamed up on the same TV. Works great and best part is we skip the part of the LAN party where everybody spends an hour installing software and patches, etc.
Old 11-18-03, 09:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I have 2 Xboxes, and have friends over to play system linked games about once a week. Co-op Ghost Recon or Serious Sam, Nascar Heat, Crimson Skies, Halo, etc

I enjoy online gaming a lot, but the most fun I have gaming is with friends in my living room. And each of us having our own TV makes it even better.
Old 11-18-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
7.9 from IGN. Same complaints - washed out visuals for an xbox game and zilch on the singleplayer side of things, yet still works great as a live game.
Old 11-18-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know, split screen is important. While yes, you can cheat and look at your opponents screen, you can also lay the mofo out in person for cheating. So it's win win.
Old 11-18-03, 11:10 PM
Suspended

I thought Wipeout and Destruction Derby for PS1 were fun with the system link.
Old 11-19-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok well see? It's not as eccentric as I thought it was. I'm just a crazy person.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.