Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dogville first review

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Dogville first review

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dogville first review

Our friends over at the Danish forum have posted a review of the Dogville disc (R2). From what I was able to translate looks pretty good and it seems like there are removable French and Danish subs.

Review:

http://www.danskhjemmebioforum.dk/ph...pic.php?t=6508
Old 11-18-03, 02:40 AM

I think the key is here

"Undertekster på: Dansk og fransk (kan fravælges)"

what does it mean?
I think you should buy the DVD, pro-bassonist, so you can verify if the subtitles are imposed or not, then you post the result of your discovery here at DVDTalk

serious: any danish speaker around here? maybe even a Swede could be apt to the task.

My Collection
Old 11-18-03, 03:16 AM

according to DVDZone2

"The French subtitles remain always displayed on the screen when the English version is selected !!!"

so they confirm what dvd.fr originally reported, I'll wait this film will be released on DVD elsewhere.

My Collection
Old 11-18-03, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....actually I "know" one of the reviewers there -Michael Wadsholt- and will try to find out for sure what the case is with the subs. I shall email him in a few min and will report back when I hear from him.

ps.
While we are waiting I know that Gunde and Yocke are from Sweden (if I am not mistaken)......

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-18-03 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Imposed French subs should not apply here because this is the Danish release. DVDZone2's info is for the French release.

Last edited by Dan Average; 11-18-03 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Dan Average
Imposed French subs should not apply here because this is the Danish release. DVDZone2's info is for the French release.
....Dan, that's exactly what I thought.....but I dont read Danish and was only able to translate bits of the review using online "translators". So, lets see what Michael says.....
Old 11-18-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ok so here's the news (provided kindly by M.Wadsholt from the Danish forum) which is very good actually. I am posting the part of Michael's email to me that is relevant to Dogville:

"Regarding your questions: Forced subs are very rare on (new) Danish
releases and according to Sørens review you can chose to watch the film
without the French or Danish subs. At the beginning of the review it says:
"Undertekster på: Dansk og fransk (kan fravælges)" which means, as you
know of course, that there are French and Danish subs. But then the "Kan
fravælges" means that the film can also be watched without any subtitles.

Also according to the review there should be english subs on all the
extras - except when english is spoken in the featurettes.

I can't confirm all of this because I don't have the DVD yet. But Søren is
usually pretty thorough. So I think we can trust him on this "

If I am not mistaken this set is identical to the French one (which is suppose to have forced subs) and I going to go for it and not wait for the Korean disc which I would assume will be a PAL-port (just a speculation on my part). Hope this helps everyone to make their own decision.

@@@@@@

Here are the 2disc set specs: (from DVDOO.com):

Disc 1:
Dogville:
DOGVILLE handler om den smukke Grace (Nicole Kidman) som er på flugt fra gangstere og ankommer til den lille isolerede bjergby Dogville. Med lidt hjælp og overtalelse fra byens forfatterspire Tom (Paul Bettany), tilbyder indbyggerne at skjule Grace, der til gengæld skal arbejde lidt hos alle i byen. Da polititet starter en eftersøgning af Grace, kræver alle i byen, især mændene, sig langsomt bedre og bedre betalt for den risiko det er at skjule hende. Grace erfarer på grusomste vis at den godhed hun har fundet i Dogville, må betragtes som relativ. Men Grace gemmer på en hemmelighed, der både bliver skæbnesvanger for hende selv, og ikke mindst for de gode borgere i Dogville... Lars von Triers nye spillefilm, DOGVILLE, med Oscar-vinderen Nicole Kidman i hovedrollen, blev udtaget til hovedkonkurrencen i verdens mest prestigefyldte film festival i Cannes. DOGVILLE er Triers opfølger til DANCER IN THE DARK som han modtog de Gyldne Palmer for i 2000. Skuespillet er fremragende, og med en rolleliste bestående af blandt andre Nicole Kidman, Paul Bettany, Lauren Bacall, Harriet Andersson, Stellan Skarsgaard, Chloë Sevigny, Jeremy Davis, Phillip Baker Hall må forventningerne til en sådan film være høje. De bliver indfriet!
Ekstra materiale:

Selected commentary by Lars Von Trier & Anthony Dod Mantle.

Trailer.

Disc 2:
Dogville Confessions (Ca. 50min.):
Vinteren 2002 gik Lars von Trier, Nicole Kidman, Stellan Skarsgård rundt i en svensk lagerbygning og optog filmen 'Dogville'. Dokumentarinstruktøren Sami Seif fulgte og interviewede dem under optagelserne. Filmens medvirkende kunne også besøge de særlige 'confessionbokse' og tale frit om problemer og glæder under optagelserne.
© Scope.dk
Ekstra materiale:

Trier, Kidman & Cannes.

The Dogville test.

Nicole Kidman interview.

Stellan Skarsgård interview.

Anders Refn interview.

Vibeke Windeløw interview.

Lars Von trier interview.

Confessions.

Visual effects.

Poster artwork.

Press conference Trollhâttan.

Press conference Cannes.

Meeting the Danish press.

total time-170min.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-18-03 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 12:26 AM

So the question of the day has to be who has the best price for this!
Old 11-19-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

got more good news from Denmark (in fact a few min ago)....

Michael mentions in his email to me today that the DVD even has a commentary with the cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle and Lars von Trier entirely in English (which was not mentioned in Soren's review).

Hope this helps!

So, this looks like the prfect buy for me.......

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-19-03 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....opppsss,.........double post....sorry!
Old 11-19-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So where is the best place to get the Danish release from?

Has this shown up in any of the US stores yet (like xploited, etc.)?
Old 11-19-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

looks like DVDOO has it in stock and ready to ship (though the US shipping as I understand is no longer free):

http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=11692

I will look around but am tinking about going with DVDOO......no matter what the price (considering that the French offer would have been as expensive as this one...or even more).
Old 11-19-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
has a commentary with the cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle and Lars von Trier entirely in English (which was not mentioned in Soren's review).
Is this commentary track on the French release out of interest?
Old 11-19-03, 07:34 PM
BabyBuddha

I ordered it yesterday from www.laserdisken.dk -- they did inform me that the DVD is delayed for a couple of days. Oh well - no big deal.

I looked at dvdoo as well, and if I'm not mistaken the shipping charge there was significantly higher than laserdisken.

I've received a few emails from somebody at the site, which is a nice touch. (He reminded me about the new 2-DVD release of Breaking the Waves, due out next month.)

Can't WAIT to see Dogville again. . .
Old 11-19-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by RichDB10
Is this commentary track on the French release out of interest?

...Rich....I dont really know the full specs of the French disc as of yet...but what I have written so far concerning the Danish disc is 100% proven!!

Again.....why would you want to go with the French disc if the subs are indeed forced.? You make your own decision anyway.....
Old 11-19-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can someone help me out with ordering from Laserdisken.dk? None of the online translation sites are working properly with this site...

When I'm registering a new account, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to input a state or zip code, only the street address and country. Also, when I did save the information, it lists in Danish (i.e. my town name appears incorrect); should I be concerned about shipping problems because of this? Might sound silly, but all other foreign retailers I've used still show shipping information exactly the way it's entered even if the rest of the site is in a different language.
Old 11-20-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Again.....why would you want to go with the French disc if the subs are indeed forced.? You make your own decision anyway.....
I would have gone for the Danish disc if i hadn't already had this on pre-order which i have for some time now.....i studied French and although i'm not totally fluent i can just about cope without subtitles of any sort so was just hoping this commentary track would be on the French edition...anyway thanks!
Old 11-20-03, 03:27 AM

I'm not persuaded

the french cover edition has the commentary too and when I say cover I mean that everything makes me think:

- there is only one edition here, discs are the same print, the only difference is the cover, a french cover for the prints sold in France and a danish cover for the prints sold in Denmark.

- as for the subtitles matter, until now we have no proof the "danish edition" hasn't them, as far as I understand - pro-bassonist - your friend says that forced subs are very rare on new danish releases, but as a fact he hasn't seen the DVD.

The first one who gets the DVD from Denmark, please post here.

My Collection
Old 11-20-03, 03:30 AM

RichDB10

click here to find all the specs about the french edition Dogville

My Collection

Last edited by mdm67; 11-20-03 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-20-03, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for that
Old 11-20-03, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by mdm67
I'm not persuaded

the french cover edition has the commentary too and when I say cover I mean that everything makes me think:

- there is only one edition here, discs are the same print, the only difference is the cover, a french cover for the prints sold in France and a danish cover for the prints sold in Denmark.

- as for the subtitles matter, until now we have no proof the "danish edition" hasn't them, as far as I understand - pro-bassonist - your friend says that forced subs are very rare on new danish releases, but as a fact he hasn't seen the DVD.

The first one who gets the DVD from Denmark, please post here.

My Collection

MDM

As of yesterday.....my friend does have the dvd and the subs are removable!! That's how he found out about the commentary. I did mention above and I will say it again- it is 100% proven fact. Take it as you like....hope this helps. As to the French disc (they look identical but the imposed subs are something I would not go for.....if in fact that is the case as no one else yet has confirmed that either).

in fact here's his email to me(which I will delete later on from the site):

"EMAIL DELETED."

Bus, I am sorry I can not help with that site...I believe that sa i said I will probably go with DVDOO (and am planning to look around today as well).

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-21-03 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-20-03, 09:21 AM
BabyBuddha

Here's how I handled the registration at laserdisken.dk:

Adresse: Street Address
Postnr: Zip Code
By: City, State
Land: Country

This works. I wrote them after I placed my order just to confirm that it was correct, and they informed me that it was.

Enjoy!
Old 11-20-03, 10:06 AM
BabyBuddha

Regarding the whole forced French subtitles thing:

Does anybody know the real reason as to why this is almost always the case on French DVDs? I've asked a few friends in Paris, and they had no clue. Does it have something to do with protecting the French language? Some years back, there was a strong move by the govt. to create French words for everything -- especially words that are in English (e.g., Walkman, Internet, E-mail). Is this somehow related?

It's more than frustrating. It's quite obnoxious, actually.
Old 11-20-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rights issues. No government thing - A lot of Spanish DVDs have forced subtitles as well.

The studios don't want you to buy outside of their channels. Region coding was part of that ploy. Failing that, they resort to forced subtitling to discourage people from buying overseas.

Outrageous.
Old 11-20-03, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by BabyBuddha

Does anybody know the real reason as to why this is almost always the case on French DVDs?
According to French editors it is a legal issue. When they have the rights for a movie it is only for French-speaking Europe.

But anyway you know that more and more R2UK do have now "burned" subtitles. I just watched recently 8 Femmes and Nueve Reinas and it's pretty ugly.

At least with force sub you can remove them if you have a player with hacked authoring. With burned subs you're just...

Talking about Lars von Trier a decent DVD of Europa would be more than welcome (2.35 anamorphic please....)

Last edited by Butch Coolidge; 11-20-03 at 11:22 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.