Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Carlito's Way is a great movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I just watched this again last night for the I-don't-know-what-number time, and (as always), it blew me away. This movie is one of Pacino's best (far better than Scent of a Woman, which he won the Oscar for), and it's one of De Palma's best. Yet this movie constantly gets ignored in favor of other works in their respective catalogs (particularly their most famous collaboration, Scarface). Why is that?

A lot of people complain that there's no suspense because the very first scene in the movie tells you that Carlito dies at the end. Baloney, says I! For me, knowing where it was going hightened the suspense -- the end of the film was like a freight train bearing down on me: powerful and inevitable. I think that if the film had been structured in such a way that we didn't know what was coming, there'd be a sort of complacency -- we'd expect Carlito to get away in the end, so we wouldn't be on the edge of our seats, hoping against hope that Carlito would somehow avoid the inevitable.

I mean, the scene in the back of the barbershop is worth the price of admission alone!

Any other fans of this great movie want to share their thoughts? Anyone who agrees with the conventional wisdom (that it's good but not outstanding) want to explain why I'm wrong?
Old 11-17-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in agreement with you, this is indeed a great movie and does often seem overlooked when Pacino films are discussed. Most people I know who like Pacino and Scarface particularly always seem to have a great liking for this film and when they don't it's because they haven't seen it.

I like movies about redemption and turning over a new leaf and this is definitely one of those but there's also the underlying love story which seems to be the driving force behind Carlito.

I think this movie has great charachters and the actors give great performances. Sean Penn is awesome as Kleinfeld but the secondary charachters are so larger than life as well. Luis Guzman as Pachanga, Viggo Mortensen's role as crippled ex-con trying to get dirt on Carlito so to keep himself out of jail is sad and effective but a great scene. John Leguizamo's Benny Blanco reminds me a lot of Tony Montana.

"You wanna be bigtime!? You gonna die bigtime!!
Old 11-17-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine shipped from DDD last Wednesday. I can't wait until it arrives.
Old 11-17-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is indeed a great film. I think that it doesn't get the respect it deserves because most people naturally want to compare it to scarface, is as if this was scarface's cousin. Is a shame too because I feel that most people would be able to connect to Carlito Brigante and the idea of a new life and redemption much more than Tony Montana although Tony showed in some instances a trace of humanity i.e. car bomb. I guess is due to Scarface's historical significance and the time period it portraid with the booming drug trade and the Marielitos, etc. as to Carlito's Way who is a man on the down from being Tony like but finding everything different, is almost like looking into retirement while Scarface is comming off of your tenage younger years where the "World is mines". Some people argue at least in the latino and I guess immigrant sector that the idea of the "american dream" although totally the wrong dream is seen in Scarface and to an extent many could connect a little better with Tony since they are as him, an imigrant who started very small (food truck, etc) and with pure ganas, was able to be in the top. Also I think regionalism plays a hand in it all. I'm in the east coast (Philly) where there is a large Puerto Rican population who can connect to New York more so than Miami and the way of style and the way things are more so than Scarface in Miami and the Cuban diaspora especially in the 80s. With that I've always liked Carlito's way so much better, since I feel I can connect a little bit more due to he being Puerto Rican, in New York City which is not all too far from Philly and it has a great Puerto Rican presence. Plus the reedeming value makes you feel Carlito even more.
On what you mentioned earlier, about the ending. I've seen the movie at least 100 times and even from the beggining where he is in the stretcher you still feel he can make it. Even after a lot of times my heart still pumps when he's trying to reach Gran Central and just trying to make it to the train. Is too much. And as a Latino living in the US and being educated and being able to observe your people (from all nations) trying soooo hard to make it yet only being able to get to the train door for it all to stop, I think in a very subtle way it represents a a daily truth felt and lived by many. And no it doesn't have to be hollywood or anything ilegal, just like I said before, the "american dream" that would not be. But what do I know. excuss my long and boring rant.

Angel
Old 11-17-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So much love for Pacino... but the film wouldn't be half as good without Penn.
Old 11-17-03, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

So much love for Pacino... but the film wouldn't be half as good without Penn.
I agree completely with that statement. Pacino is indeed excellent but Penn OWNS the movie. I thought his performance was absolutely jaw-dropping!!!
Old 11-17-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Mowork
I agree completely with that statement. Pacino is indeed excellent but Penn OWNS the movie. I thought his performance was absolutely jaw-dropping!!!

Old 11-18-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Agree'd, though Pacino's cuban / spanish accent is not nearly as good in this one.

Still, great movie.
Old 11-18-03, 03:45 AM
Banned

I saw it the movies the year it came on a Friday nite in a almost empty theater. I was bored with the movie, but loved the barbershop & chase at the end.
I began to like the movie over the years.
I have bought the laserdisc & 2 dvds of this movie, so in time the movie has grown on me.
Old 11-21-03, 01:25 PM

I watched it last night for the first time and was blown away. I'd watch it again tonight if I didn't have a date.
Old 11-21-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is one of my favorite Pacino movies. Even with knowing what happens to Pacino at the beginning of the film, or because I've seen it a ton of times, I still am on the edge of my seat pulling for him to make it. I think that really speaks volumes for a movie if upon repeated viewings and knowing the outcome, you are still really involved in the story.

That being said, I haven't upgraded from the original release. Is this worht the upgrade?
Old 11-21-03, 02:59 PM

I haven't seen the original DVD. The CE Version has an anamorphic transfer while the older one is letterbox widescreen. There is 30 minute documentary of the making of the movie which is fairly interesting. There is also some photo gallaries, (posters, dePalma, and a third I can't remember) which aren't anything special. The transfer looks good to me but I don't know how it compares to the previous edition. I also don't have a surround sound system so I can't give you a wothwhile review of the audio. I would have loved an actors or director's commentary track but there isn't one. Besides that, they did a good job with the subtitles. They are easy to read, and they made an effort to place them away from key images.
Old 11-21-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I really like Carlito's Way - my only problem with it is that Penelope Ann Miller is horribly mis-cast.
Old 11-25-03, 06:27 PM

I just picked that one up...

can't wait to watch it...again!!

but one simple hardware question...(I know that this question is often asked...)

but does it comes with an insert?? (and I'm not joking)
Old 11-26-03, 05:19 AM
Banned

I've always preferred Carlito's Way to Scarface...now Scarface is still a classic and great...but I've always liked CW more...beautiful film...DePalma at his best!
Old 11-26-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Like the film as well, but couldn't bring myself to get it as the best price has it packaged with Mobsters, a film I refuse to own.
Old 11-26-03, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by slop101
I really like Carlito's Way - my only problem with it is that Penelope Ann Miller is horribly mis-cast.
Yeah, and to me, it's a BIG problem.
Old 11-26-03, 12:18 PM
Banned

I thought Penelope was perfect for Gale...
Old 11-26-03, 08:49 PM

thanks for the quick answer!
Old 12-02-03, 11:53 AM
Ayo

Carlito's Way > Scarface

"I'm reloaded! Okay?!"

As for the Gail character...she could have been cast as anybody, really; she was just playing the mythical archetype of "woman."

Not to get too literary here, but her character was pretty much a cypher or a plot point compared to Carlito and David. All she was there to do was look pretty and play "the wife."
Old 12-02-03, 04:08 PM

Hmm so what about the movie did you guys like? Frankly when I saw it in the theater it was so bad I would have walked out if I had driven and not gotten a ride there. I thought the pacing was slow, the plot dull, and the acting bad all around.
Old 12-02-03, 04:28 PM
Ayo

Al Pacino has charisma. That's why people like his movies.

Brian De Palma has a dramatic visual style. That's why people like his movies.

Sean Penn throws himself fully into his roles. That's why people like his movies.

Why do I like Carlito's Way? I like the narration, I like the camera moves, I like the storyline and structure, and I like the acting.
Old 12-02-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally posted by Ayo
All she was there to do was look pretty and play "the wife."
She only accomplished one out of two, then.
Old 12-02-03, 07:34 PM
Ayo

That's harsh.

Nah, I'm into her look; she has a gorgeous face.
Old 12-03-03, 05:24 AM
Banned

Penelope was wonderful! ARGH!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.